Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My dog went after another dog.

We just moved to a new house (2 weeks in), and this morning a neighbor saw us out and came over to introduce herself. She brought her dog, off leash. Our dogs were off leash, too, in our yard. Just yesterday, I finished installing our invisible fence and introduced our dogs to their new boundaries. Quick process, as we'd had the same setup at our old digs, and our dogs respect the hell out of the click-click-click that warns them of an impending zap-zap-zap.

Anyhow, she asked if our dogs were friendly, and I responded "usually," since my one dog will occasionally bark and lunge at strange dogs. He never had actually bitten another dog, though, that I'd witnessed. So, this other dog (a collie, apparently a therapy dog) walks into our yard, they sniff noses, and then my dog (an Aussie/husky mix who is probably 10-15 lbs smaller) goes apeshit, grabs the other dog by the throat, throws it on the ground, and starts shaking it. I had to shoulder tackle my dog off the other dog to break it up.

The other dog was apparently unhurt, my dog just had her by her mane..... I apologized, etc. I guess the neighbor lady was bringing over a baby bunny for my kids to pet, so..... I Made a great first impression there.

A part of me totally gets my dog and isn't too worried. Lots of new, lots of stress, we didn't have neighbors at our old place, just established new territory, strange new dog walks up and looks him in the eye; fuck you new dog. The other part of me is really worried that my dog might be a menace. Ideally, my dog will bark once and then make great friends; I'm a long ways from that. Do I try to socialize him? Train him more? He used to be great, and in group training he would be paired with aggressive dogs because he was so non-aggressive with other dogs; he wouldn't react and escalate a fight, until (predictably) one of the aggressive dogs went after him. Since then, he's been a little wary.

What do you think?
    focus.

Your reasoning behind your dog's behaviour seems totally in sync with my experience with my malyX's. Territory is important to them, and moving territory is stressful. If anything, I would have emphasized to your neighbour that 'usually' did not really apply to this period of adjustment - I've made this mistake myself. Psychology of that a whole other conversation.

To your actual question, Yes. Your hounds are going to have to learn and develop new relationships in this new place. Take them for their walks even more often so they can sniff the new territory - do not discount the value of their nose in learning the local gossip that is important to them. Don't rush the in person social meetings, but don't shy away. As in all old breeds, in no uncertain terms do not relinquish your alpha control of the situation.

IMO, you hound quite likely took it upon himself to establish firm dominance when he recognized a larger yet submissive neighbour. Socially for him, perhaps best defence is a good offence when making a first impression. Or he was just having a bad day.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 08-28-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Take them a fruit basket or some such thing.

They are dogs, who knows what sets them off??? Sometimes I think it is a dog with weak energy and then I will see my guys tear into an aggressive dog. You just have to keep an eye on them and if they act up tell them to chill and yes, try and keep them socialized with other dogs. But #1, they have to listen to you. When you say stop they need to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sorry to hear. I feel like I could have been this author, with my 9.5 year old herding mutt as the antagonist. She's a great dog and usually great, but sometimes not. She seems to prefer to either bully smaller dogs or sometimes stand her ground against bigger dogs. Then most of the time, they'll sniff noses, move to the butt, and then be friends. I know we're good once we're at the butt sniff. Nose-to-nose worries me because sometimes one will flare teeth, growl, whatever.

I'll repeat my dog is a good dog! But over nearly 10 years, I've seen her in probably 10 scary scuffles (scary as in overreacting owners, there's never been a bad bloody battle). It happens and most of the time both dogs are totally fine. It's the puppy owner; they've never seen their baby over-play with crotchety old dog and a warning bark or nip is a lot less serious for dogs than humans. I think it's really important for puppies and old dogs to learn the boundaries of play / actually fucking up another dog.

I was at Lakeside dog park in Denver one time and saw an Akita and pit bull destroy each other. Ripped off ears, blood and seering anger. Both owners were super trashy jerks and looked like they were gonna throw down. Mine was nowhere near but that was the worst I've seen.

Terrible advice. The ideal meeting is both dogs off leash. Leashes make them feel like they're backed in a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    I'd focus more on managing the dog in similar circumstances if at all possible. Use a leash or collar to prevent the outburst and see if the dog can slowly accept the other(s) after talking for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    We just moved to a new house (2 weeks in), and this morning a neighbor saw us out and came over to introduce herself. She brought her dog, off leash. Our dogs were off leash, too, in our yard. Just yesterday, I finished installing our invisible fence and introduced our dogs to their new boundaries. Quick process, as we'd had the same setup at our old digs, and our dogs respect the hell out of the click-click-click that warns them of an impending zap-zap-zap.

Anyhow, she asked if our dogs were friendly, and I responded "usually," since my one dog will occasionally bark and lunge at strange dogs. He never had actually bitten another dog, though, that I'd witnessed. So, this other dog (a collie, apparently a therapy dog) walks into our yard, they sniff noses, and then my dog (an Aussie/husky mix who is probably 10-15 lbs smaller) goes apeshit, grabs the other dog by the throat, throws it on the ground, and starts shaking it. I had to shoulder tackle my dog off the other dog to break it up.

The other dog was apparently unhurt, my dog just had her by her mane..... I apologized, etc. I guess the neighbor lady was bringing over a baby bunny for my kids to pet, so..... I Made a great first impression there.

A part of me totally gets my dog and isn't too worried. Lots of new, lots of stress, we didn't have neighbors at our old place, just established new territory, strange new dog walks up and looks him in the eye; fuck you new dog. The other part of me is really worried that my dog might be a menace. Ideally, my dog will bark once and then make great friends; I'm a long ways from that. Do I try to socialize him? Train him more? He used to be great, and in group training he would be paired with aggressive dogs because he was so non-aggressive with other dogs; he wouldn't react and escalate a fight, until (predictably) one of the aggressive dogs went after him. Since then, he's been a little wary.

What do you think?

hey, Mustonen -- potentially delicate situation ... replies so far have focused on the interaction of the dogs --
    in my experience, it is as or more important how the people respond to this situation...
    I have a few suggestions :
    reassure your neighbor that you expect Good behavior of your dogs ;
    Off your property, until further Notice and your dog's reputation has been rehabilitated, have your dogs keep you on a leash, literally.
    ( It is a lot easier to restrain a dog that is leashed... )

I agree with several comments about activity and socialization for the sake of the dogs,,, and the real challenge is that this not become a 'people problem' .

final thought, how old is your dog ?
    my 'Blue' was great until she was older than Ten years old -- then she became a little cross with other dogs...
    as a young dog, she had had such a dominant Energy about her . . . there was Never any problem.,
    But with advancing age, she lost that edge...

Good luck. tj

Unfortunately, it is not a dogs world. 99 times out of 100, if 2 dogs meet off leash, they will have in all figured out in 5mins. The other 1 out of 100 is a true dog fight. The problem is the humans.

This sounds a lot like our husky. The dog was so docile and well behaved around people, but when we first took her in she was terrible with other dogs. Walking the neighborhood the first couple of months wasn't fun... conflicts/ aggressive behavior with almost every dog. She was only 40lbs but showed very dominant behavior toward other dogs even if they were larger.

A couple things that stick out in this thread:
    -Off leash encounters went much better than on leash with our husky, and if I could choose between the two when introducing new-to-each other dogs I'd pick off leash every time. No bad encounters at the dog park for us.
    -Territory is a huge factor. Around the neighborhood I think she felt threatened, maybe by all the smells. On hikes, never had a single issue, even meeting up to 10-15 on a single outing. Always leashed too FWIW.
    -Age might have something to do with it, we got our husky at age 8-9.
    -Also seems like some need this cleared up, it is my understanding that the OP is not referring to rough play. Anyone who has seen their dog go apeshit can differentiate between the two pretty easily IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    This sounds a lot like our husky. The dog was so docile and well behaved around people, but when we first took her in she was terrible with other dogs. Walking the neighborhood the first couple of months wasn't fun... conflicts/ aggressive behavior with almost every dog. She was only 40lbs but showed very dominant behavior toward other dogs even if they were larger.

A couple things that stick out in this thread:
    -Off leash encounters went much better than on leash with our husky, and if I could choose between the two when introducing new-to-each other dogs I'd pick off leash every time. No bad encounters at the dog park for us.
    -Territory is a huge factor. Around the neighborhood I think she felt threatened, maybe by all the smells. On hikes, never had a single issue, even meeting up to 10-15 on a single outing. Always leashed too FWIW.
    -Age might have something to do with it, we got our husky at age 8-9.
    -Also seems like some need this cleared up, it is my understanding that the OP is not referring to rough play. Anyone who has seen their dog go apeshit can differentiate between the two pretty easily IMO.
    I did not even finish reading the above before I had to comment on training and socializing of a dog.
    1) when training a new dog, it should be on a pinch collar and leash when meeting new dogs. Told to sit and stay while the new dog approaches. I made my guys tolerate the other dog sniffing them fist. At the first sign of anything, bam, a solid jerk of the pinch collar and "NO".
    2) Take them to the dog park on a leash, get them use to being cool with the other dogs before letting them off.
    3) Doggie day care is a great way to socialize the dog. There are usually a few alphas at the facility that the owners will allow to keep everyone else in check.
    My current two dogs were adopted at around 10 months old each and were very socially retarded around other dogs.
    With firm training (they know who loves them but who is the boss) and the socializing at the dog park and day care my guys at 5 are practically prefect now, but they can still slip up and it is usually when off lease.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

You need Cesar Millan. Let us know if you get on the show.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Unfortunately, it is not a dogs world. 99 times out of 100, if 2 dogs meet off leash, they will have in all figured out in 5mins. The other 1 out of 100 is a true dog fight. The problem is the humans.

ding ding ding nail hammer head
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Your reasoning behind your dog's behaviour seems totally in sync with my experience with my malyX's. Territory is important to them, and moving territory is stressful. If anything, I would have emphasized to your neighbour that 'usually' did not really apply to this period of adjustment - I've made this mistake myself. Psychology of that a whole other conversation.
    One of my first thoughts after it all happened was that "usually" was entirely the wrong answer. "I'm not sure" means "no" if there's any kind of extra stressor, and I should have known that. Good comment re: walks and all. I'd be remiss not to recognize my own contribution to the whole thing, too. *I* was nervous about this other dog coming into my yard and how my dog was going to react. I was a little keyed up about meeting the new neighbor. I'm sure that didn't help the situation, and may well have set it off.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    They are dogs, who knows what sets them off??? Sometimes I think it is a dog with weak energy and then I will see my guys tear into an aggressive dog. You just have to keep an eye on them and if they act up tell them to chill and yes, try and keep them socialized with other dogs. But #1, they have to listen to you. When you say stop they need to stop.
    This is the most obedient dog I've ever had. He's never, since he was a pup, not been locked on when I tell him to do or not do something. That's part of why this was so distressing. Maybe if I'd let it go another 2 or 3 seconds he would have listened. I dunno...all I could hear was this other, apparently nice, dog squealing as I was sure its jugular was being torn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    I'll repeat my dog is a good dog! But over nearly 10 years, I've seen her in probably 10 scary scuffles (scary as in overreacting owners, there's never been a bad bloody battle). It happens and most of the time both dogs are totally fine. It's the puppy owner; they've never seen their baby over-play with crotchety old dog and a warning bark or nip is a lot less serious for dogs than humans. I think it's really important for puppies and old dogs to learn the boundaries of play / actually fucking up another dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    He's gotten into it plenty with other dogs, both friends' dogs and our other dog (who is an aussie/lab mix). Rough-housing/playing that makes me a little nervous, all the way down to snarling and shaking. In the end, all of it play. I got into worse with my stepbrothers growing up. This felt, sounded, and looked different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    Based on the OP apparently the ideal meeting isn't off leash. Dog owner theory vs. the applied variety. Unless a shoulder tackle is part of the ideal experience?
    Right? Not sure about the right way to go about it, but I'm not going to be comfortable for a while without being able to immediately reel him back in. The encounter ended with a few seconds of me pinning him on his back and a solid stare down..... I'm not too worried about my alpha status. He does not challenge me, and he is a very obedient dog. He doesn't really (I thought) even need a leash on walks through the woods. Heel position, period, unless I give him an OK.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    in my experience, it is as or more important how the people respond to this situation...
    I have a few suggestions :
    reassure your neighbor that you expect Good behavior of your dogs ;
    Off your property, until further Notice and your dog's reputation has been rehabilitated, have your dogs keep you on a leash, literally.
    ( It is a lot easier to restrain a dog that is leashed... )

I agree with several comments about activity and socialization for the sake of the dogs,,, and the real challenge is that this not become a 'people problem' .

final thought, how old is your dog ?
    Good thought. I'd stopped at PetSmart on the way home to get a "hey, sorry my dog tried to kill your dog" bag of dog biscuits. They weren't home tonight when we went to deliver.... We'll try again tomorrow.

Linc is only 3.

I did not even finish reading the above before I had to comment on training and socializing of a dog.
    1) when training a new dog, it should be on a pinch collar and leash when meeting new dogs. Told to sit and stay while the new dog approaches. I made my guys tolerate the other dog sniffing them fist. At the first sign of anything, bam, a solid jerk of the pinch collar and "NO".
    2) Take them to the dog park on a leash, get them use to being cool with the other dogs before letting them off.
    3) Doggie day care is a great way to socialize the dog. There are usually a few alphas at the facility that the owners will allow to keep everyone else in check.
    My current two dogs were adopted at around 10 months old each and were very socially retarded around other dogs.
    With firm training (they know who loves them but who is the boss) and the socializing at the dog park and day care my guys at 5 are practically prefect now, but they can still slip up and it is usually when off lease.
    Good comments. No dog parks around here that I'm aware of, but we'll actively look for opportunities to socialize him with other neighbor dogs.
    focus.

This is Linc. He's a little scary looking, though he only weighs 50 lbs. Not helping his rep, though....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472520292.963926.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  229.9 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472520387.877344.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  240.4 KB
    focus.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472520619.189625.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  350.5 KB
    focus.

That's a good looking guy. Just help him be a calm and centered dog.

my guys at 5 are practically prefect now, but they can still slip up and it is usually when off lease.
    This is because your not really changing how the dog feels towards other dogs, just that it knows it's gonna get a pop when the leash is on if it fucks up.

I'm in the process of re-socializing my border collie, and I've tended to avoid any type of negative reinforcement. She was a nervous wreck when I got her at 9 months, separated from other dogs at the shelter. Her mother had to be put down because she was aggressive towards anything and everyone. She really has come a long way. It's been quite the learning curve for both of us though. She does way better off leash when meeting new dogs FWIW. Really loyal and obedient and a loving dog once she knows the person or animal. Still scared of strangers though and meeting new dogs can go either really well or poorly. She's not afraid to bite or attack, and it usually happens as soon as she feels uneasy or threatened, which use to be all the time. For me it's been building her confidence and taking things slowly. Only one instance so far where I had to break up a fight though , and both dogs were ok.

Sounds a lot different than the OPs situation though, in both cases. I'm sure it was just the new situation he's in and maybe how you reacted when the other dog approached that set him off. Dogs will be dogs, and yeah that 1 in a 100 meeting can happen and really there's nothing that can be done.

a little scary looking
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472558256.600927.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  53.8 KB

Haha! Looks great to me but yeah, I can see the scary. After a number of dog meeting failures (including, specifically, with a therapy collie), we have decided that not every strange dog is a teaching opportunity. Ours is a big Saint, in almost all ways, but there are a couple dog types she just doesn't like. Lil' yappers, for one, so we avoid those because we understand and don't like them ourselves. But also, dogs/owners of a certain bearing: we've stopped saying "cissy" and changed our code word to "precious". We avoid "precious" dogs and their owners. Outfits, doggie bling, and homemade therapy vests are all red flags for us. We get it wrong often, no doubt, but we are ok with that.

Wait .... is it you or the dog that doesn't like little happy sissy, bling wearing dogs and bites them??

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    a little scary looking

Haha! Looks great to me but yeah, I can see the scary. After a number of dog meeting failures (including, specifically, with a therapy collie), we have decided that not every strange dog is a teaching opportunity. Ours is a big Saint, in almost all ways, but there are a couple dog types she just doesn't like. Lil' yappers, for one, so we avoid those because we understand and don't like them ourselves. But also, dogs/owners of a certain bearing: we've stopped saying "cissy" and changed our code word to "precious". We avoid "precious" dogs and their owners. Outfits, doggie bling, and homemade therapy vests are all red flags for us. We get it wrong often, no doubt, but we are ok with that.
    I have a little yapper that I walk off leash on the little one lane street behind our house. She loves to provoke big dogs on leashes, she loves to be chased. She took on a Great Dane, I had to yell at the owner to let go of the leash before she had her arm pulled off. I pick her up if I see a big dog on a leash coming until she gets to know them. Especially the woman with the Great Pyrenees on a leash and a newborn baby in a chest carrier when the road was solid ice.
    She likes to pick on dogs smaller than her. She picked on Tiny, who's a third her size and even yappier and who gave her a nip on the nose for her trouble. (Tiny must be all of five pounds if that but she was living on the streets of Reno so she must be tough.) At least my yapper knows to leave cats alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    a little scary looking

Ha, one of my dogs hates weimaraners. They are obnoxious dogs, so I can't blame him.

Mustonen, it doesn't sound like you have a problem dog, but if you are still worried, look for signs that your dog wants to fight/protect. Ears back, fixation on target, etc. It's somewhat obvious when my dog doesn't like another dog, and the signs are there before he tries to go after them.

The only good thing about this is it happened on your property, and not in some public area. Well, and the fact that the other dog wasn't injured seriously.

Points out a flaw in the invisible fence thing. It keeps your dogs in, but does nothing to keep other dogs out.

Being a small dog owner, and the recipient of several such attacks while walking my dogs on leash in public parks and trails, I can tell you it is not fun. I think I may start carrying pepper spray to handle the situation in the future.

Of course, since your dog was in your yard, you probably have a better legal position if he actually had injured the other dog, although not completely certain of that. You may want to consult an attorney to see what he thinks your liability might have been, and take appropriate steps to avoid that possibility in the future.

At a minimum, I'd suggest taking your dog to an obedience class. Petsmart has those where I live, at a reasonable cost.

Sorry for being the owner of some of those "precious" small dogs.

To be clearer, our big dope has never actually harmed another dog. And, off-leash and given 10 or 15 seconds to do their dog things, she has become fast friends with pretty much every dog she's met. But we also realize that her size and excited presentation can be alarming, especially it seems to owners of small and or "precious" dogs. So, in deference to those dog owners (more than to the dogs themselves), we tend to avoid them as much as is practical. Our 180 lbs of hairy slobbering preciousness has been put in her place by more than one lil' yapper, and it is very entertaining to watch. But again, off-leash and with dogs whose owners are comfortable with letting the dogs sort things out themselves to begin with.

Just blame the other dog if they complain. They're just dogs.

My dog is never on a leash, never. I've had some joggers/walkers jump out of their shoes lately when they see him and start complaining.

I don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The only good thing about this is it happened on your property, and not in some public area. Well, and the fact that the other dog wasn't injured seriously.

Points out a flaw in the invisible fence thing. It keeps your dogs in, but does nothing to keep other dogs out.

Being a small dog owner, and the recipient of several such attacks while walking my dogs on leash in public parks and trails, I can tell you it is not fun. I think I may start carrying pepper spray to handle the situation in the future.

Of course, since your dog was in your yard, you probably have a better legal position if he actually had injured the other dog, although not completely certain of that. You may want to consult an attorney to see what he thinks your liability might have been, and take appropriate steps to avoid that possibility in the future.

At a minimum, I'd suggest taking your dog to an obedience class. Petsmart has those where I live, at a reasonable cost.

Sorry for being the owner of some of those "precious" small dogs.
    Don't go to Petsmart. Go to a real trainer. And remember, training class is to teach you.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Just blame the other dog if they complain. They're just dogs.

My dog is never on a leash, never. I've had some joggers/walkers jump out of their shoes lately when they see him and start complaining.

I don't give a fuck.
    You're probably one of those a-holes who lets his dog cross traffic and come running up to a large dog on leash and says, "it's ok, my dog is friendly..."
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.