Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Gross tonnage rule. Works on waterways. Works on roadways.
    Right on. I believe Sir Isaac Newton laid claim to this first with his equation, F=ma. I have personally tested it and in each experiment it held. When I am biking, I feel no compelling reason to retest it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Fu*king Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yes, everything I do is for recreation. What of it?
    You were making comments about "bike-entitlement" in reference to the purported selfishness of riding a particular road because it slows you down as a driver.

And yet your reason to use the road was for recreation too.

Of course, everyone has a right to be annoyed by inconveniences. But to expect that others should stop doing something they have a right to do because it's inconvenient for you is absurd.

As I said earlier up thread, WHY people use the roads is of zero importance. Recreation is a perfectly good reason to be on the road, as you, no doubt, agree.

For clarity, I'm not saying you're an asshole, not at all...just pointing out a double standard.
    Nor am I saying cyclists can do whatever the fuck they want; they are bound to the rules of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    How would it hit bikes and walkers? It could easily be made not to.
    Why is the gate even needed? Cars could go around it just like the bus does!
    Are you saying it is standard operating procedure for the buses to break traffic laws 100 times a day?

These are the questions the bikers lawyer would ask as they probably successfully sue the college and the city in the case of an injury accident.

Yes, the biker should have slowed, checked, buckled his helmet, ride with two hands, not be a douche... but in the real world, people are idiots and then they sue you and win or you settle.
    Where I went to school, we had bollards that retracted into the ground when a bus approached. Solved the problem unless you were on a bike following too closely behind a bus.

Also, Washington is a comparative fault state, and breaking a rule of the road (blowing the stop sign) is going to put the cyclist's responsibility well north of 50%. Add in the other not-so-reasonable actions and a "good lawyer" is going to pass this case on to a not-so-good lawyer who only cares about his 33 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    You were making comments about "bike-entitlement" in reference to the purported selfishness of riding a particular road because it slows you down as a driver.

And yet your reason to use the road was for recreation too.

Of course, everyone has a right to be annoyed by inconveniences. But to expect that others should stop doing something they have a right to do because it's inconvenient for you is absurd.

As I said earlier up thread, WHY people use the roads is of zero importance. Recreation is a perfectly good reason to be on the road, as you, no doubt, agree.

For clarity, I'm not saying you're an asshole, not at all...just pointing out a double standard.
    Nor am I saying cyclists can do whatever the fuck they want; they are bound to the rules of the road.
    I have never in any of my posts claimed that the purpose of a trip--commute, recreation, commerce, etc--has any bearing on who has the right of way or priority. You are clearly confusing me with someone else or just lumping me in with all drivers and hating on all of us. I agree with you--WHY (why caps?) someone is using the road doesn't matter. And as far as the Donner Summit climb, I have never said a cyclist doesn't have a right to go up the road, no matter how big a gaper they are, only that the nature of the road makes for a potentially dangerous situation as the cyclists get more numerous and slower.
    Look--some common sense is required. Biking in the middle of a lane when it is unsafe to pass makes sense when the distance is short and the delay for cars is reasonable. It doesn't make sense when the distance is long, the bike is particularly slow, and the delay is unreasonable. If cyclists can't figure that out they will find themselves banned from some roads, something I hope doesn't happen.
    Around here the scenario I usually see is one cyclist in the bike lane and the other(s) in the road--so the cyclists can chat, not for any safety reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    yo bob.... want to put on your seat belt?
    I'm all about the quick exit

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I'm all about the quick exit
    Probably what the cyclist in MGirl's video was thinking with his helmet.
    I still call it The Jake.

You know, we've never clarified our entitle cyclist stereotypes in this thread, so allow me--a) millenial, hipster, fixie riding, entitled asshole (see original post) * b) older, spandex clad, tour d france wannabe, $5K+ riding entitled asshole (and if you think these guys are only assholes towards car drivers try riding the American River Bike Trail after work), and c) the other 90 %.

*speaking of the original post--thing that annoys me: newspapers and tv news insisting on using "alleged" when something has clearly been done. I understand using it regarding the accused if they have not been proven to be the guilty party but the crime itself took place. Guy with 3 bullet holes in his back "allegedly" shot.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You are clearly confusing me with someone else or just lumping me in with all drivers and hating on all of us.
    I have to assume that, when you use the word "entitled," you mean to use the word with the pejorative implications that it currently carries in modern society. If you were using it in its most neutral and legal dictionary meaning, then I apologize for my poor comprehension of your earlier post.

^^ SUNRISE!! Used to run and ride up there (Laguna Mtns.) regularly back in the day. Very few cyclists before, say, 2000. Now there's a shitload of 'em- some really solid cyclists, but a bunch of gapers, too.

Homesick.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Any fixies?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    So that actually raises a question - clearly the motorcyclists could have gone far faster than any road biker ever could, but they have to obey traffic laws. Can a bicyclist get pulled over for speeding?

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    So that actually raises a question - clearly the motorcyclists could have gone far faster than any road biker ever could, but they have to obey traffic laws. Can a bicyclist get pulled over for speeding?
    The cycle racers in Rio were able to corner and out run the motorcycles in certain sections of that jungle course. At least that's what I thought I saw and heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Can a bicyclist get pulled over for speeding?
    With respect to that video, while there is some (limited, really) Highway Patrol activity along Sunrise Hwy., and CHP has the authority to enforce traffic code anywhere within the State, it's the Forest Service that performs most of the "dirty work" along that road. But I've never seen, nor heard, of FS rangers enforcing posted speed limits anywhere in Kalifornia. ANYWHERE. Regardless of vehicle. The fuckers issue plenty of parking tickets, though (ask me how I know), so I'm guessing that that activity must provide a fairly decent revenue stream.

So, the simple answer is yes, but don't bank on it.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    The cycle racers in Rio were able to corner and out run the motorcycles in certain sections of that jungle course. At least that's what I thought I saw and heard.
    you are correct sir, the steeper, more technical 'turny' it gets, the more the 16 pound bike has the advantage
    bringing them down from speed and working them outside-inside-outside is way easier on a bicycle
    Tour of Spain is on UHD, the motorcycles have been unable to stay ahead on many descents
    the Vuelta is steeper than Le Tour
    crab in my shoe mouth

The section of Sunrise in that posted video is mostly descent (not terribly steep, but steep enough), and fairly twisty, too.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    you are correct sir, the steeper, more technical 'turny' it gets, the more the 16 pound bike has the advantage
    The road down from Sunrise (Rainier) is a rather extreme example. Great place to research gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Any fixies?
    Don't recall seeing any dreadlocks, so I'm guessing no.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Re Donner Pass Road - some cyclists self-select from riding it already. I've always thought it could be a cool ride, but have avoided it exactly because of the narrow points on the road and the numerous cars. Maybe mid-week it's better? I choose to bring my MTB to Tahoe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    bringing them down from speed and working them outside-inside-outside is way easier on a bicycle
    Tour of Spain is on UHD, the motorcycles have been unable to stay ahead on many descents
    the Vuelta is steeper than Le Tour
    The motorcycles were the race officials or whatever they're called. Get some pro grand prix dude dragging his knee and a roadie would be left in the dust.

700 roadies in town for a 4 day stage race this weekend . Good times

Fu*king Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    700 roadies in town for a 4 day stage race this weekend . Good times
    That's like a slow day for my town.

It's actually pretty cool to watch these big groups cruise by... and I actually got a couple of thank you's while I waited for all of them to go through the intersection.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-02-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I had to pass a car yesterday coming down from Mt. Evans. I was averaging about 60-65 kmh (37-41mph) and I had to keep dragging the brakes because of the car in front of me. The were having a good laugh that I was keeping up/on their bumper, so on one on the straights I just got out in the other lane, let off the brakes and easily went past. I got a friendly wave and big smile form them. I think my top speed on that decent was 71kmh.

Guess Columbus, Ohio doesn't get it.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/s...d-columbus-bw1