Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2516
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Just like the cars behind you are supposed to slow/stop for a turning car in front, cyclists are supposed to do the same. This assumes the driver starts the turn when the cyclist has time to slow
    No. At least not in CA. https://sfbike.org/news/bike-lanes-and-right-turns/
    If you're not going to follow the law and turn from the bike lane (my observation is that half of drivers actually swing left into the oncoming lane to make a right turn) then do the courteous thing and let the bike pass on the right if you can't complete the turn in time to get out of their way. A lot easier to stop and wait in a car than on a bike.

I'm all for riding defensively, assuming the worse. Not sure how that would have helped the guy that got rear ended and killed by a sober middle aged woman on 89 last summer. Presumably distracted. He was riding on a wide paved shoulder.

A little more food for thought on the right turn subject: If you overtake before making a right turn, regardless of whether the vehicle is a car, bike, rickshaw or whatever, and said vehicle has to brake at all, you saved yourself absolutely zero time compared to slowing down and merging behind. Simultaneous arrival. Chill the hell out and merge behind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66EA69DE-93C5-4776-9AE2-2DA916732FF8.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	528.9 KB 
ID:	333853

90% of all the fucking bicyclists I see on the road are wobbly as fuck, so I give them as wide a birth as is physically possible at all times. It did get comical once however when both the cyclist and I slowed down together and then spent 30 seconds waving each other forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    90% of all the fucking bicyclists I see on the road are wobbly as fuck, so I give them as wide a birth as is physically possible at all times. It did get comical once however when both the cyclist and I slowed down together and then spent 30 seconds waving each other forward.
    90%? Go on Now
    Take a Lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

90% of all the fucking bicyclists I see on the road are wobbly as fuck
    Interesting. In my 'hood anyone who actually rides on the road usually seems to be reasonably competent rider. The wobbly kooks riding bikes because they got a DUI or can't afford a car are usually riding full-suspension Huffy's on the sidewalk with a slammed seat and knees hitting their chin.

It did get comical once however when both the cyclist and I slowed down together and then spent 30 seconds waving each other forward.
    Nothing like a good nicehole standoff.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    90%? Go on Now
    Take a Lap
    You're right; I meant 98%.

I must confess, it's probably very location specific. University town over-run with twits that have never ridden before and think they got it all down, plus a healthy dose of douchebaggery.

The last time someone passed me on the left and then turned right, forcing me to hit the brakes hard, it was a fellow cyclist.

FWIW, i remember when i was taking my drivers ed class in CA a looong time ago, we were taught to pull into the bike lane before making a righthand turn so-as to block a cyclist from passing and eliminate the chance of hitting them midturn.

I used to do something similar in SF when i lived there... when waiting at a light to turn right, i would fully block the bike lane so i wouldnt have to worry about hitting anyone when turning right on the green light. They either waited behind me, or just moved around to the left side of me to wait at the light.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    FWIW, i remember when i was taking my drivers ed class in CA a looong time ago, we were taught to pull into the bike lane before making a righthand turn so-as to block a cyclist from passing and eliminate the chance of hitting them midturn.

I used to do something similar in SF when i lived there... when waiting at a light to turn right, i would fully block the bike lane so i wouldnt have to worry about hitting anyone when turning right on the green light. They either waited behind me, or just moved around to the left side of me to wait at the light.
    Yeah, that's the smart way to do things. In Oregon, the bike lanes typically are on the right of the turn lane, which raises the chance of a right hook -- dumb.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 07-07-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Had a cyclist draft e down lcc after work this afternoon. He was literally 2-3 feet of my bumper and obviously mad I wasn’t going faster even though I was driving 10 mph over the speed limit. Probably messing with his starva. Started to hand gesture me so I slowed down. Which made him madder. I was a bike commuter for a decade and can’t imagine tailing a vehicle that close. Sheer stupidity! It’s idiots like that, that give bikers a bad name.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Going down a wide residential street today, I saw a bike up the road. As I got close to him I pulled over to the left to give him plenty of room and the fucker drifted left over towards me. I gave him a little honk of the horn and he got all pissed off. I should of bumped him back over.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ahhhhhh! Back on track!

All is right with this thread!

And just add a little more hate. Why the fuck do non pro roadies buy full kits that make them look like nascar racers? Seriously. If those companies aren’t paying for you to be a douche just buy the same shit without the ads. It’s just as lame as the dentists I see riding Harleys with whip chains on their bars. You’re not a pro roadie if you pay your own way to bike and fuck the Harley dorks who’ve never thrown a punch. The pro roadies are really easy to pick out because they always ride in a big crew on super expensive bikes moving fast enough to make you think they’ve got a motor in the bike. And the super Harley losers are just as easy to see because they show off their meth mouth thru their lack of a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    And just add a little more hate. Why the fuck do non pro roadies buy full kits that make them look like nascar racers?
    For the same reason they buy fancy race bikes that don't provide tangible benefits compared to bikes that cost thousands less and have ultra-aero geo that is uncomfortable and unnecessary for most people: people think everything racers do is inherently better so they emulate them. Grant Petersen has a great rant about this in Just Ride.

Whatever. I don't even understand road riding as a purely recreational activity. I mean, I love commuting and using a bike as transportation instead of a car, but you'll never find me spinning away for hours on pavement for "fun."

And just add a little more hate. Why the fuck do non pro roadies buy full kits that make them look like nascar racers? Seriously. If those companies aren’t paying for you to be a douche just buy the same shit without the ads. It’s just as lame as the dentists I see riding Harleys with whip chains on their bars. You’re not a pro roadie if you pay your own way to bike and fuck the Harley dorks who’ve never thrown a punch. The pro roadies are really easy to pick out because they always ride in a big crew on super expensive bikes moving fast enough to make you think they’ve got a motor in the bike. And the super Harley losers are just as easy to see because they show off their meth mouth thru their lack of a helmet.

I'm going to sustain this objection. I often ride road in MTB shorts depending on what's clean, and it is always a pleasure to pass someone in full kit while I'm wearing MTB shorts and a technical tee.

And just add a little more hate. Why the fuck do non pro roadies buy full kits that make them look like nascar racers?
    I dunno about anyone else, but I tend to buy what's on sale. All the disposable income cyclists have must be the reason for the $239 bib short and $215 "summer" jersey. I've never owned these items, but it's either that or they have a magical hidden motor that whisks you up any hill one encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Whatever. I don't even understand road riding as a purely recreational activity. I mean, I love commuting and using a bike as transportation instead of a car, but you'll never find me spinning away for hours on pavement for "fun."
    I ride all the time...road, mtb, my kid's bmx, whatever. I love riding bikes...I love reading about bikes and cycling. Always have...since I was a kid riding and racing BMX. I often think: I should have chosen a career path where I could have ridden bikes for a living.

Heck, I think I'll go for a road ride this afternoon.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I ride all the time...road, mtb, my kid's bmx, whatever. I love riding bikes...I love reading about bikes and cycling. Always have...since I was a kid riding and racing BMX. I often think: I should have chosen a career path where I could have ridden bikes for a living.

Heck, I think I'll go for a road ride this afternoon.
    I don't see the appeal of road riding on the actual road. Maybe it's because where I live we have an abundance of bike paths all over the place and there's only a few actual road rides that I'll consider, and even those scare the shit out of me anytime other than maybe a weekday morning.

I just don't get the risk vs reward calculation that makes you go out and hope no one hits you (especially when you've already been hit). It isn't the fun kind of danger, like hucking a cliff on skis or something, it is the "Well, hopefully Jimmy Bobby out there is paying enough attention on his way home from day drinking down at the local dive bar to not run my ass over" kinda danger that you really just have no control whatsoever over.

some folks like aerobic sports -- it's not about risk

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I love riding bikes...I love reading about bikes and cycling. Always have...since I was a kid riding and racing BMX. I often think: I should have chosen a career path where I could have ridden bikes for a living.
    I basically feel the same way. It's just that "Hmmm, the wife has the kid and I'm free to do whatever I want for the next few hours. Should I go for a road ride or a MTB ride?" is a conversation I have never had with myself. Maybe I would if I lived farther from away from fun MTB trails.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    some folks like aerobic sports -- it's not about risk
    Yeah, but there are a lot of ways to ride a bike aerobically without having to worry about being nailed by a careless driver.

And what DTM said. Maybe if I didn't live near trails and/or some pretty nice bike paths, but in that case, I'd probably find another sport to get my jollies. For the record I do own 2 road bikes, and ride them sometimes, but the MTBs definitely get most of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    without having to worry about being nailed by a careless driver
    you really seem obsessed with this notion

maybe just sell the two road bikes given your fears and access to trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I don't see the appeal of road riding on the actual road. Maybe it's because where I live we have an abundance of bike paths all over the place and there's only a few actual road rides that I'll consider, and even those scare the shit out of me anytime other than maybe a weekday morning.

I just don't get the risk vs reward calculation that makes you go out and hope no one hits you (especially when you've already been hit). It isn't the fun kind of danger, like hucking a cliff on skis or something, it is the "Well, hopefully Jimmy Bobby out there is paying enough attention on his way home from day drinking down at the local dive bar to not run my ass over" kinda danger that you really just have no control whatsoever over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I basically feel the same way. It's just that "Hmmm, the wife has the kid and I'm free to do whatever I want for the next few hours. Should I go for a road ride or a MTB ride?" is a conversation I have never had with myself. Maybe I would if I lived farther from away from fun MTB trails.
    I think one HUDGE difference will depend on where you live. I have ZERO interest in a gravel bike...or a Enduro or DH bike (Mondraker Foxy 29" excepted) b/c there's nowhere near me to ride either (the way they were intended). We have plenty paved roads...and XC (but even that is limited) here, so that's what I do.

But if I lived in near the Rockies, PNW or Western Canadia, I'd prolly want both (and prolly ride a lot less road).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    you really seem obsessed with this notion

maybe just sell the two road bikes given your fears and access to trails?
    Not obsessed, just realistic.
    And like I said, we have a great network of paved bike paths. Plus those road bikes get me to the bar much faster than the MTB.
    I am considering trading em in for a gravel bike someday though. Pretty much the same thing as a roadie if I'm not strava-ing but more comfortable and useful.

Roads are so quiet out here, and with a blinky red light, folks give plenty of space. In fact, rednecks in pickup trucks give the most space, it’s Karen in her minivan/small suv/Prius who gives no fucks, that will not give proper spacing. I love putting huge miles on my road bike, addicted to endorphins and THC.
    crab in my shoe mouth