Page 20 of 101 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    The bus was not making a left. The bus was going straight, but had (has) to go into the left hand lane to get around the gate to keep cars (try to, anyway) out of campus. There is not room in the intersection to move over and get the tail end of the bus around the gate, so the bus did what he had to do, and every other bus also does in that spot more than 4 times an hour all day long every day.
    That is a systems issue. The gate puts buses in opposing traffic before, through, and past a reduced visibility (controlled) intersection and the drivers are compelled to use that route 100 times a day!

Why the hell doesn't the bus have a clicker for the gate?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

are you for real??? the gate isn't a power gate, but that would make it worse. It would hit bikers and walkers. That intersection gets very little traffic. The intersection is fine if the stop signs are respected.

Budget cuts man. Affecting everyone from DD to busses.
    I still call it The Jake.

I have no issue with bikes running stop signs and red lights when they can see that it is clear to do so, but the consequences of that is on them.

are you for real??? the gate isn't a power gate, but that would make it worse. It would hit bikers and walkers. That intersection gets very little traffic. The intersection is fine if the stop signs are respected.
    How would it hit bikes and walkers? It could easily be made not to.
    Why is the gate even needed? Cars could go around it just like the bus does!
    Are you saying it is standard operating procedure for the buses to break traffic laws 100 times a day?

These are the questions the bikers lawyer would ask as they probably successfully sue the college and the city in the case of an injury accident.

Yes, the biker should have slowed, checked, buckled his helmet, ride with two hands, not be a douche... but in the real world, people are idiots and then they sue you and win or you settle.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If the timing was just right, I could see someone getting head on with a bus in the oncoming lane. We are dealing with humans after all .

A competent attorney would be asking questions about the bike already plastered to the front of the bus. I mean, what happened to that rider, and how many blocks back was that poor soul run down?

Originally Posted by Summit
    He would have plowed into a stopped delivery vehicle too.

I was just being a stickler on your comment that implied you know that he would have plowed in to a stopped delivery vehicle. If you do know this for a fact I would like to invite you as my guest to the horse track

The bus was nearly stopped when the bike hit him.

The bus was nearly stopped when the bike hit him.
    What about the cyclist that already had his bike plastered to the front of the bus? Do we know what happened to them? Is this some rogue bus driver, hell bent on murdering cyclists? Was there a monkey on the bus distracting the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I subscribe to the "yield to the larger vehicle" rule. My list:

Big wheel<bicycle<motorcycle<Prius<Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat<Chevy Tahoe LT Z71<Hino box truck<Freightliner tractor going bob<Freightliner tractor w/trailer<M1A1 Abrams tank

There may be something else at play in that video...
    Gross tonnage rule. Works on waterways. Works on roadways.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    so...for recreation
    Yes, everything I do is for recreation. What of it? BTW--when I'm driving down by the lake where there is a bike lane with a lot of pedestrians walking the wrong way and sometimes cars parked in the bike lane I often see a bike come up on the walkers or parked car. I slow down to give the biker room to pull into the traffic lane and wait for him to turn back into the bike lane before I pass. I have no problem doing that (not so for the asshole tailgating me but fuck him)--I don't get angry, I don't honk. But the climb up to Donner Summit is a different and somewhat extreme situation--2-5 MPH for 3 miles seems unreasonable to me and there really isn't a truly safe place to pass. Fortunately most folks on that road are driving slow enough and the number of cars is few enough that so far I've gotten away with passing blind, as carefully as i can. If someone has a better idea I'd like to hear it. As i said before the best solution would be parabolic mirrors on the blind curves so you can pass without worrying about oncoming traffic, but I don't see that happening any time soon. (I also expect that a lot of the newby bike riders will get scared of the ride and go someplace else.)

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    What about the cyclist that already had his bike plastered to the front of the bus? Do we know what happened to them? Is this some rogue bus driver, hell bent on murdering cyclists? Was there a monkey on the bus distracting the driver?
    you could class action status for the bike rack mass murderers

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As i said before the best solution would be parabolic mirrors on the blind curves
    If that happens, I'm going to start a mirror manufacturing company. New PO's guaranteed every spring.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Gross tonnage rule. Works on waterways. Works on roadways.
    Right on. I believe Sir Isaac Newton laid claim to this first with his equation, F=ma. I have personally tested it and in each experiment it held. When I am biking, I feel no compelling reason to retest it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Fu*king Cyclists

Yes, everything I do is for recreation. What of it?
    You were making comments about "bike-entitlement" in reference to the purported selfishness of riding a particular road because it slows you down as a driver.

And yet your reason to use the road was for recreation too.

Of course, everyone has a right to be annoyed by inconveniences. But to expect that others should stop doing something they have a right to do because it's inconvenient for you is absurd.

As I said earlier up thread, WHY people use the roads is of zero importance. Recreation is a perfectly good reason to be on the road, as you, no doubt, agree.

For clarity, I'm not saying you're an asshole, not at all...just pointing out a double standard.
    Nor am I saying cyclists can do whatever the fuck they want; they are bound to the rules of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    How would it hit bikes and walkers? It could easily be made not to.
    Why is the gate even needed? Cars could go around it just like the bus does!
    Are you saying it is standard operating procedure for the buses to break traffic laws 100 times a day?

These are the questions the bikers lawyer would ask as they probably successfully sue the college and the city in the case of an injury accident.

Yes, the biker should have slowed, checked, buckled his helmet, ride with two hands, not be a douche... but in the real world, people are idiots and then they sue you and win or you settle.
    Where I went to school, we had bollards that retracted into the ground when a bus approached. Solved the problem unless you were on a bike following too closely behind a bus.

Also, Washington is a comparative fault state, and breaking a rule of the road (blowing the stop sign) is going to put the cyclist's responsibility well north of 50%. Add in the other not-so-reasonable actions and a "good lawyer" is going to pass this case on to a not-so-good lawyer who only cares about his 33 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    You were making comments about "bike-entitlement" in reference to the purported selfishness of riding a particular road because it slows you down as a driver.

And yet your reason to use the road was for recreation too.

Of course, everyone has a right to be annoyed by inconveniences. But to expect that others should stop doing something they have a right to do because it's inconvenient for you is absurd.

As I said earlier up thread, WHY people use the roads is of zero importance. Recreation is a perfectly good reason to be on the road, as you, no doubt, agree.

For clarity, I'm not saying you're an asshole, not at all...just pointing out a double standard.
    Nor am I saying cyclists can do whatever the fuck they want; they are bound to the rules of the road.
    I have never in any of my posts claimed that the purpose of a trip--commute, recreation, commerce, etc--has any bearing on who has the right of way or priority. You are clearly confusing me with someone else or just lumping me in with all drivers and hating on all of us. I agree with you--WHY (why caps?) someone is using the road doesn't matter. And as far as the Donner Summit climb, I have never said a cyclist doesn't have a right to go up the road, no matter how big a gaper they are, only that the nature of the road makes for a potentially dangerous situation as the cyclists get more numerous and slower.
    Look--some common sense is required. Biking in the middle of a lane when it is unsafe to pass makes sense when the distance is short and the delay for cars is reasonable. It doesn't make sense when the distance is long, the bike is particularly slow, and the delay is unreasonable. If cyclists can't figure that out they will find themselves banned from some roads, something I hope doesn't happen.
    Around here the scenario I usually see is one cyclist in the bike lane and the other(s) in the road--so the cyclists can chat, not for any safety reason.

You know, we've never clarified our entitle cyclist stereotypes in this thread, so allow me--a) millenial, hipster, fixie riding, entitled asshole (see original post) * b) older, spandex clad, tour d france wannabe, $5K+ riding entitled asshole (and if you think these guys are only assholes towards car drivers try riding the American River Bike Trail after work), and c) the other 90 %.

*speaking of the original post--thing that annoys me: newspapers and tv news insisting on using "alleged" when something has clearly been done. I understand using it regarding the accused if they have not been proven to be the guilty party but the crime itself took place. Guy with 3 bullet holes in his back "allegedly" shot.

You are clearly confusing me with someone else or just lumping me in with all drivers and hating on all of us.
    I have to assume that, when you use the word "entitled," you mean to use the word with the pejorative implications that it currently carries in modern society. If you were using it in its most neutral and legal dictionary meaning, then I apologize for my poor comprehension of your earlier post.

^^ SUNRISE!! Used to run and ride up there (Laguna Mtns.) regularly back in the day. Very few cyclists before, say, 2000. Now there's a shitload of 'em- some really solid cyclists, but a bunch of gapers, too.

Homesick.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Any fixies?

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    So that actually raises a question - clearly the motorcyclists could have gone far faster than any road biker ever could, but they have to obey traffic laws. Can a bicyclist get pulled over for speeding?

Absolutely