Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2516
    A more nuanced way to look at it is that blocking a lane--which I said I do--makes sense when the distance of the narrow section is short and the speed discrepancy is not huge, or on an empty rural road where there are a lot of opportunities for cars to pass. But if the road is busy and narrow indefinitely blocking traffic is eventually going to encourage a driver to do something stupid and aggressive. I said before ride defensively, I would add ride courteously. That might even mean pulling off the road and letting cars go by if you're blocking cars for a long time. There's a difference between being entitled to the road and feeling entitled.

there are a lot of legal ways to be an entitled asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    That’s when I dismount and jump in the crosswalk and walk my bike through the intersection. They can wait for the pedestrian.
    bingo. !

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There's a difference between being entitled to the road and feeling entitled.
    Is there a difference between projecting the feeling of entitlement and begrudging the legal entitlement?

But if the road is busy and narrow indefinitely blocking traffic is eventually going to encourage a driver to do something stupid and aggressive. .
    Absolutely, of course! None of what I'm advocating should be interpreted to mean that I think it's ok to hold up traffic for longer than necessary to ensure one's safety. This applies to anyone, in any type of vehicle--I pull over as soon as it's safe to do so in my slow-ass Winnebago too.

If someone is getting apoplectic when their driving speed is temporarily encumbered by a farm tractor, a Winnebago, or a cyclist, then that person is the problem and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive on the public roads.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Absolutely, of course! None of what I'm advocating should be interpreted to mean that I think it's ok to hold up traffic for longer than necessary to ensure one's safety. This applies to anyone, in any type of vehicle--I pull over as soon as it's safe to do so in my slow-ass Winnebago too.

If someone is getting apoplectic when their driving speed is temporarily encumbered by a farm tractor, a Winnebago, or a cyclist, then that person is the problem and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive on the public roads.
    Well, its not really a choice for the tractor to go slow, or be on the roads. They are just moving the vehicle short distances and try to get off the roads ASAP. And with an RV, they may be slowing traffic, but going 15mph under 60mph is a lot less inconvenient than the speed differential of a cyclist on that same road. At the end of the day, 99.99% of the time, the cyclist chose their overly slow mode of transportation because they enjoy it, not because its necessary. And when their recreation inconveniences the rest of the users they share the road with, the other users dont get the warm fuzzies.

Its not worth being an asshole to a cyclist by a long shot. But, its also very understandable where the negative feelings come from especially in areas where that type of recreation isnt valued.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Well, its not really a choice for the tractor to go slow, or be on the roads. They are just moving the vehicle short distances and try to get off the roads ASAP. And with an RV, they may be slowing traffic, but going 15mph under 60mph is a lot less inconvenient than the speed differential of a cyclist on that same road. At the end of the day, 99.99% of the time, the cyclist chose their overly slow mode of transportation because they enjoy it, not because its necessary. And when their recreation inconveniences the rest of the users they share the road with, the other users dont get the warm fuzzies.

Its not worth being an asshole to a cyclist by a long shot. But, its also very understandable where the negative feelings come from especially in areas where that type of recreation isnt valued.
    Wait, are you saying that RVs are necessary?

Wait, are you saying that RVs are necessary?
    As much as id like to make that argument, no, i wasnt haha. I was saying that they dont slow down other roadway users as much as cyclists do on the road, so they don't receive the level of ire that cyclists do.

As much as id like to make that argument, no, i wasnt haha. I was saying that they dont slow down other roadway users as much as cyclists do on the road, so they don't receive the level of ire that cyclists do.
    do let us know how much of the traffic on the road is necessary so we can determine who gets to use the road

I’m going to say with some certainty that RVs cause more and longer backups in traffic than bicycles do on roads that are suitable for cyclists. I’ve yet to be held up for more than a few seconds by a cyclist but have been held up for several minutes to as much as an hour by RVs moving slower than the speed limit. This is in spite of a WA law requiring them to pull over if they’re holding up more than 5 vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    do let us know how much of the traffic on the road is necessary so we can determine who gets to use the road
    Precisely.

No one has any fucking clue about what other users are doing or going. You're no more entitled to drive to a trailhead or to work than you are to go for a recreational ride. We all have different schedules -- just because someone is recreating while the driver is going to work means fuck all. Recreation and exercise are human necessities. Just like work is (for most of us.)

I've commuted in spandex when I had 20miles to work. I've commuted in suits when I had 3mi. People treat me much nicer in the latter interest despite it being the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Sure. Very little traffic is necessary. I would put a tractor (construction or farming) in that category and they are just quickly hopping on and then off the roadway for short distances (usually).

Everyone else chooses their mode of transportation, and voluntarily uses the roads. Cyclists choose a mode of transportation that can inconvenience 99% of the other road users and will require the 99% to accommodate their significantly lower speeds and significantly increased vulnerability to injury and death. So, i can understand why there is more ire directed at cyclists than at tractors or a slow RV on a mountain pass.

I’m going to say with some certainty that RVs cause more and longer backups in traffic than bicycles do on roads that are suitable for cyclists. I’ve yet to be held up for more than a few seconds by a cyclist but have been held up for several minutes to as much as an hour by RVs moving slower than the speed limit. This is in spite of a WA law requiring them to pull over if they’re holding up more than 5 vehicles.
    Well, fuck those drivers! amirght!? totally understandable for ire to be directed their way. Just as it would be understandable for ire to be directed towards a cyclist who refuses to use the 4-6' wide shoulder/bike lane and holds up car traffic for a few minutes.

Another benefit of mostly using I90 to ski and not Hwy 2 or 542 or 410 is not having to deal with 2lane highways and all the shenanigans they bring all that much.

And with an RV, they may be slowing traffic, but going 15mph under 60mph is a lot less inconvenient than the speed differential of a cyclist on that same road.
    It's way fucking easier to pass a cyclist going 15 mph than it is to pass a RV going 45 mph. Not even close.

Well, fuck those drivers! amirght!? totally understandable for ire to be directed their way. Just as it would be understandable for ire to be directed towards a cyclist who refuses to use the 4-6' wide shoulder/bike lane and holds up car traffic for a few minutes.

Another benefit of mostly using I90 to ski and not Hwy 2 or 542 or 410 is not having to deal with 2lane highways and all the shenanigans they bring all that much.
    Hmm, I’ve never missed a ski day because the road to Mission closed. I’ve encountered cyclists on the road on the way to ski too many times to count and they never delayed me. I have been delayed by an RVtoo many times to count on any number of two lane mountain roads, not really an issue with cyclists. I’m sure those RVs are heading to work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's way fucking easier to pass a cyclist going 15 mph than it is to pass a RV going 45 mph. Not even close.
    How dare you bring logic to this gunfight!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    How dare you bring logic to this gunfight!
    Logic has nothing to do with it. Logic would dictate people take a deep breath, not be an asshole... maybe even try to live by that WWJD bumper sticker as they consider buzzing that cyclist, or possibly considering that maybe the soccer mom in the minivan is late to her twins dentist appt and being further delayed by a minute IS actually a big deal so it might by nice to let her by.

This is an emotional argument.

I appreciate that you're advocating for people to not be assholes. I think that's a great base level for people to aspire to as members of society.

However, buzzing a cyclist endangers a life. Delaying traffic for a minute or two (or twenty) does not. It's important that we not equate these things.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

How’s that working out for ya?

I appreciate that you're advocating for people to not be assholes. I think that's a great base level for people to aspire to as members of society.

However, buzzing a cyclist endangers a life. Delaying traffic for a minute or two (or twenty) does not. It's important that we not equate these things.
    Blaming the cyclist is usually textbook victim blaming. However, the term "victim blaming" also sometimes at odds with the (youd think) common sense adage of "Just because you can, doesnt mean you should".

I was just saying that i understand why cyclists can raise the ire of motorists. At the end of the day, raising the ire of motorist can result in serious injury or death, while raising the ire of a cyclist results in a broken off side mirror at worst.

Logic has nothing to do with it. Logic would dictate people take a deep breath, not be an asshole... maybe even try to live by that WWJD bumper sticker as they consider buzzing that cyclist, or possibly considering that maybe the soccer mom in the minivan is late to her twins dentist appt and being further delayed by a minute IS actually a big deal so it might by nice to let her by.

If she’s already late….

A more nuanced way to look at it is that blocking a lane--which I said I do--makes sense when the distance of the narrow section is short and the speed discrepancy is not huge, or on an empty rural road where there are a lot of opportunities for cars to pass. But if the road is busy and narrow indefinitely blocking traffic is eventually going to encourage a driver to do something stupid and aggressive. I said before ride defensively, I would add ride courteously. That might even mean pulling off the road and letting cars go by if you're blocking cars for a long time. There's a difference between being entitled to the road and feeling entitled.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If she’s already late….
    Some dentists (The DPS/Yeti owners on here can speak to this im sure) will bump your ass at the 10minute mark and/or charge you for the visit. You know what i mean, though. Lots of situations where you are in a legitimate rush and being delayed a minute or two is actually a pretty big deal- something i try to remember when people are driving like crazy lunatics.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

^^^ 300db car horn [2 pack] $15.99