Page 91 of 101 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2516
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I do wonder why the motorist was pulled over on the shoulder though.
    exactly
    the driver is stopped & still recording when presumably he should have passed this group after first scene [honk/pull over] & moved on with his day

on what seems to be a fairly low-traffic road in all scenes

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That's a good point. I bet the cyclists edited out all the entitled stuff they did.

More Me-time away from the fat wife and 4 kids!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i think the video nearly perfectly expresses the general driver contempt for cyclists without much evidence of actual problematic riding

art imitates life, no?
    I thought it was nice that the cyclists moved over initially at the drivers request. Approaching a reasonable decorum.
    I don't know why the driver was stopped, but the cyclists flipping off the driver indicated contempt for the driver.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That's a good point. I bet the cyclists edited out all the entitled stuff they did.
    Subtle sarcasm there.

Like I wrote several times, I thought it was initially some reasonable interaction. A toot on the horn and accommodating behavior by the cyclists initially. Too bad they couldn't just get on with their days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I thought it was nice that the cyclists moved over initially at the drivers request. Approaching a reasonable decorum.
    I don't know why the driver was stopped, but the cyclists flipping off the driver indicated contempt for the driver.
    exactly
    the driver is stopped & still recording when presumably he should have passed this group after first scene [honk/pull over] & moved on with his day

on what seems to be a fairly low-traffic road in all scenes
    just begs questions of what didn't make the edit
    filmed cyclist douchebaggery presumably would have made the cut, no?

just begs questions of what didn't make the edit
    filmed cyclist douchebaggery presumably would have made the cut, no?
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the cyclists flipped off the driver?

Am I mistaken in thinking that the cyclists flipped off the driver?
    you might be...maybe not - we have to rely on the filmer's text to know that...lo res imagery

either way, seems to be a reaction, not a provocation

why is this driver anywhere near these riders on this empty road after he presumably passed them when they pulled over?

you might be...maybe not - we have to rely on the filmer's text to know that

either way, seems to be a reaction, not a provocation

why is this driver anywhere near these riders on this empty road after he presumably passed them when they pulled over?
    The cyclists are definAtely gesturing and looking back. I had assumed they were reacting to the request honk.
    Why the car is stopped is unknown.

Very much a miscrocosm of these dynamics as well as our reactions.

The cyclists are definAtely gesturing and looking back. I had assumed they were reacting to the request honk.
    Why the car is stopped is unknown.

Very much a miscrocosm of these dynamics as well as our reactions.
    you're ignoring the cut between scenes

the honk & the angry cyclist reaction aren't directly related in the timeline, at least not for immediacy of sequence of events
    cyclists make no reactions to the passing vehicle in the first scene

but the stopped vehicle in the shoulder is directly related to the gesticulating cyclist as shown

maybe ask why the vehicle is even there in proximity with the cyclists at all on a seemingly empty road?

you're ignoring the cut between scenes

the honk & the angry cyclist reaction aren't directly related in the timeline, at least not for immediacy of sequence of events
    cyclists make no reactions to the passing vehicle in the first scene

but the stopped vehicle in the shoulder is directly related to the gesticulating cyclist as shown

maybe ask why the vehicle is even there in proximity with the cyclists at all on a seemingly empty road?
    I may be incorrectly assuming that nothing really happened between scenes.

Should I make another assumption?

I may be incorrectly assuming that nothing really happened between scenes.

Should I make another assumption?
    yes, pretending "nothing really happened" seems unreasonable given the situation & actions recorded/presented

Nothing as entitled as a cyclists pissed off at a stopped vehicle in plain site, and easily avoidable. Assuming a stopped vehicle in "their" lane was the reason for their outburst. Continuing the assumptions...

Maybe the car driver was taking a call and actually pulled over to do so per most state laws?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Nothing as entitled as a cyclists pissed off at a stopped vehicle in plain site, and easily avoidable. Assuming a stopped vehicle in "their" lane was the reason for their outburst. Continuing the assumptions...

Maybe the car driver was taking a call and actually pulled over to do so per most state laws?
    because there's nothing a roady hates more than moving out of the shoulder to occupy the road?

or the classic two phones assumption: one to take the innocent call & the other to film entitled cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

That explains it. Editing out the boring parts where nothing happened was certainly very considerate. Nothing I hate more than watching someone turn a screw or answer a phone while I twiddle my thumbs and wait for the excitement to start back up.

because there's nothing a roady hates more than moving out of the shoulder to occupy the road?

or the classic two phones assumption: one to take the innocent call & the other to film entitled cyclists?
    Roadies only like to take-the-lane when its their choice, and they can exert ownership of the lane over a following motorized vehicle. Being forced to take the lane is extremely inconvenient, just plain outrageous, and will not stand! Isnt that common knowledge?

Aren't most of these shitty human interactions on the roadway captured by dash cams, not phones?

yes, pretending "nothing really happened" seems unreasonable given the situation & actions recorded/presented
    In the absence of evidence, normally I try to make no assumptions.
    btw, I'm not "pretending" if I call it out as an assumption to make no assumption.

Another piece of data is the oncoming car just as the car came up to the peloton while the cyclists were riding side by side.

And this is playing out perfectly.

Any person without an anger issue would have ever so slightly modified their speed and trajectory and went about their day.

In the absence of evidence, normally I try to make no assumptions.
    btw, I'm not "pretending" if I call it out as an assumption to make no assumption.

Another piece of data is the oncoming car just as the car came up to the peloton while the cyclists were riding side by side.
    there is evidence of other actions in the video, from editing to actual content
    you are welcome to consider those actions and not "make assumptions"

pretending to make no assumptions isn't the high horse you think it is
    esp when you making assumptions is evident: maybe watch the vid a few times more - 3 cyclists weaving because two are looking back isn't "riding side by side"

And this is playing out perfectly.
    i'm sorry a cyclist slowed you down that time

there is evidence of other actions in the video, from editing to actual content
    you are welcome to consider those actions and not "make assumptions"
    Can you be more explicit regarding this "evidence" in the event? I must be missing something.

pretending to make no assumptions isn't the high horse you think it is
    Hey now, all I've said is that there's no evidence in the video for the interval left out. How high is that horse again?
    esp when you making assumptions is evident: maybe watch the vid a few times more - 3 cyclists weaving because two are looking back isn't "riding side by side"
    I thought the weaving and gesticulating occurred after the cut. I was referring to them riding side by side at the start of the video when the driver honks and there's an oncoming car.

i'm sorry a cyclist slowed you down that time
    What about the motorists that hit me? Can I make assumptions then?

This is the best illustration of the dynamic yet.

I'll let this drop now.

My read based on video evidence and 40 yrs of road cycling:
    Motorist honked at cyclists - because that’s what you do for all vehicles moving slower than you, right?

Cyclists promptly moved over - didn’t see/hear words or gestures as car passed but that may have occurred by either side.

Motorist shortly after passing moves to edge of road, blocking cyclists from riding where he wanted them A few moments before. Maybe because words were exchanged on the first pass…

Cyclists say “WTF asshole” and flip off motorist as they pass him back.
    Motorist yells something at cyclists who look back, cross wheels and crash

Also - motorist by posting the video, just outed himself on a distracted driving violation.

Can you be more explicit regarding this "evidence" in the event? I must be missing something.

Hey now, all I've said is that there's no evidence in the video for the interval left out. How high is that horse again?

I thought the weaving and gesticulating occurred after the cut. I was referring to them riding side by side at the start of the video when the driver honks and there's an oncoming car.

What about the motorists that hit me? Can I make assumptions then?

This is the best illustration of the dynamic yet.

I'll let this drop now.
    one rider in road; two others single file on shoulder
    solid yellow is on this direction of travel
    honk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honk-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	424002

road guy starts dropping back to get on shoulder
    car passes in opposite direction

Name:	honk-1.1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	424003

rider is on shoulder behind two others

Name:	honk-2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	424004

filming vehicle starts passing
    empty road ahead
    no gesticulating or even turning heads to address honker

3secs have accumulated

what are the entitlements here?
    what karma needs to be doled out?

what are the entitlements here?
    what karma needs to be doled out?
    It's the year 2022. All YouTube has been converted to a purely good-faith Rorschach test and karma must be doled out upon the entitled roadies of the TRGs. His Eminence, Shrodinger's Douchebag will be along shortly to award the medals.

to jog your memory
    Then the cyclists, either offended by the horn or by any request to share the road, flip off the driver.
    [bold italic for reference only]
    objection, assumptions not in evidence, your honor

I think many people in here are forgetting the thread title. And that a similar, but antithetical thread also exists.

I said I'd drop it, so allow me recourse.

The only evidence in the video for the gesticulating and possible flipping off is the honk. You can call that an assumption, but it's evidence.

I'll grant that the 3 sec interval was either omitted or edited out, but the absence of evidence leads to no conclusion except by unsupported assumptions skewed to bias.

The reason I posted the video is because it's so unclear what really went on.

The driver could have slowed initially and the smugness of the driver is inappropriate as are the cyclists' gesticulations, each rooted in some form of entitlement.

And I was pretty sure that the argument the video would elicit was exactly how it's transpired.

Cheap shots aside regarding my experience both in the saddle and behind the wheel, I'd hope that the video would have pointed out that we should allow ourselves a little inconvenience and understanding at times.