Page 90 of 101 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2516
    ( one doesn't have to be 'on the drops' to engage brakes on a road bike -

bikes and vehicles are a situation prone to conflict for more than fifty years...

This is the 'f*-ing cyclists' thread that often gets used for ' ... motorists' posts...

we all have our moments -
    I need to show more consideration ;

I no longer ride on the road

( too many f*-ing motorists ) --

ride on... skiJ

Stop signs are for yielding in Idaho stops - if it’s free and clear. If not, it’s a stop sign and the biker blew through a stop sign and almost hit Grizz. No one should have to worry about being passed at a stop sign even with no signal on.

another ‘fuck bikers’ story - I was biking on a bike path trying to make the crosswalk light as a train passed me, and some fucking biker decided he didn’t need to stop for the red light because the train just crossed (in SLC on the S-line path with the train tracks is a full-deal stoplight, not a crosswalk blinking light) he said ‘oh shit’ and didn’t even swerve. I skidded to avoid him. So many bikers are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    In that situation I would usually take the lane with the cars.
    M too. I get in the right hand car thru lane if there's no room between the thru and right turnng cars. And I do try to get out of the way as soon as I can once the light turns green.

Here's one for you--does a pack of cyclists count as one vehicle at a 4 way stop sign or does each bike in the pack have take turns with the vehicles in the other roads? (IME all the bikes almost always go off together and at least around here the cars don't seem to get too upset about it. Same with motorcycle gangs.)

Fucking (e)cyclists. currently designing a road crossing of a recent rail-to-trail conversion in a major metro area. Due to existing adjacent grades and the army corps doing their classic thing of thinking a drainage ditch is beautiful habitat that must be protected at all costs, we need to utilize a decent amount of ramping, walls and handrails on the trail as it approaches the intersection. We are getting significant pushback on the design because the local jurisdiction has seen such a high number of ebike crashes and pedestrian conflicts on other sections of this trail that they fear the handrails will pose a danger to the idiot e-bikers. Braaaaap get out the way yo!

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Fucking (e)cyclists. currently designing a road crossing of a recent rail-to-trail conversion in a major metro area. Due to existing adjacent grades and the army corps doing their classic thing of thinking a drainage ditch is beautiful habitat that must be protected at all costs, we need to utilize a decent amount of ramping, walls and handrails on the trail as it approaches the intersection. We are getting significant pushback on the design because the local jurisdiction has seen such a high number of ebike crashes and pedestrian conflicts on other sections of this trail that they fear the handrails will pose a danger to the idiot e-bikers. Braaaaap get out the way yo!
    Just add some chicanes in there and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Just add some chicanes in there and call it a day
    Are you seriously suggesting that we add in additional obstacles for ebikers to deftly avoid while whiskey throttling down a gravel pathway at 30mph? In my hometown a few states away they recently re-angled some chicanes on a shard pathway to allow bikes to pass through without slowing much due to (im guessing) too many people crashing into them.

Are you seriously suggesting that we add in additional obstacles for ebikers to deftly avoid while whiskey throttling down a gravel pathway at 30mph? In my hometown a few states away they recently re-angled some chicanes on a shard pathway to allow bikes to pass through without slowing much due to (im guessing) too many people crashing into them.
    I'm still scratching my head over this RR Xing. Is it at-grade? How many tracks? You sure use imprecise language. I bet your boss loves that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I'm still scratching my head over this RR Xing. Is it at-grade? How many tracks? You sure use imprecise language. I bet your boss loves that shit.
    I dont have a boss, and use generalities on here on purpose

The point went over your head though- AHJs now considering inexperienced and/or out of control ebikers as design criteria. Fucking e-cyclists.

I dont have a boss, and use generalities on here on purpose

The point went over your head though- AHJs now considering inexperienced and/or out of control ebikers as design criteria. Fucking e-cyclists.

Silly engineer, only rookies use the bike paths! Real gel & spandex ebikers training for eTris, eCriteriums, and the eTdF will always ride the roads. Roads are the only place for elite cyclists!

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hysterical
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

what exactly is the "entitled rude" part?
    lotta missing info to agree on "karma"

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Good question.
    Some people are extreeeemly offended by the use of the car horn.

But in this instance, one would hope it was just used to request that the cyclists ride single file on the shoulder.
    I have some empathy for the driver since I get blocked by packs of cyclists on one of the roads to our house. I usually wait until I can get around in the oncoming lane.

Then the cyclists, either offended by the horn or by any request to share the road, flip off the driver.

But this illustrates these situations pretty well I think and there's lots of room for rabid indignation for either party.

On the flip side, I was on a Portland Wheelmen (now Portland Bicycling Club) ride BITD when a car came alongside our group of maybe 25 riders, all riding in a bike lane.

Passenger leaned way out the car window to scream insults at us. As they were pulling away, her Oakleys fell off and bounced into bike lane

Where many riders ran over said glasses, rendering them junk

“Have a nice day”

ETA - holy shit, the same guy is still leading the Tues nite Tualatin rides for more than 20 years! We called him Stinky because he didn’t wash his gear enough…

Good question.

But in this instance, one would hope it was just used to request that the cyclists ride single file on the shoulder.
    I have some empathy for the driver since I get blocked by packs of cyclists on one of the roads to our house. I usually wait until I can get around in the oncoming lane.

Then the cyclists, either offended by the horn or by any request to share the road, flip off the driver.

But this illustrates these situations pretty well I think and there's lots of room for rabid indignation for either party.

You didn't notice that the driver had to pass them and then stop (for what confrontation?) to take this video? That is likely the car-driving equivalent of that lunatic in MN with better editing.

Good question.

this video doesn't do the filmer any favors

he honks; they pull over [so far so good, no?]
    cut edit [likely missing some antics/tomfoolery]
    driver is stopped in shoulder & cyclists pass in lane of travel looking back/gesticulating (maybe even yelling?) [who knows?...no audio & lo res]
    rider looking back clips his buddy & they go down

had driver not been in shoulder, riders might still be riding the shoulder, no?

driver could have legitimate reason for being stopped on shoulder, but apparently riders seem pissed, so maybe not?

vid is woefully incomplete for legitimizing calling anything shown "entitled" behavior

sure is funny to see cyclists run into each other, tho, right?

Agreed that there's not nearly enough context here. But I'll note that honking is almost never nice and almost always startling. Also, cyclists are not required to ride single file and are have every right to ride in the lane--even if there is a bike lane. (At least in the places where I've checked the laws.) Drivers should pass cyclists just as they would a piece of farm machinery--safely, after changing lanes.

I was told by a sheriff deputy recently to ride single file on a road where maybe 3 cars will pass in 30 minutes. I started to correct him but he sped off. Even the popo doesn't know the law.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

They're supposed to be stud road bikers, but seem a bit blasé about the phenomenon whereby oncoming losers with zero goal instinct meet at the narrowest or most hazardous point on a straight road with uncanny frequency.
    This loser instinct and subconscious accelerator pedal manipulation is closely related to why defenders and other such no-scoring also-rans miss easy shots on breakaways - they feel the clock tick and focus on the goalie and because of that, they end up shooting right at the goalie instead of all that wide open net. But I digress...

Anyway, the bikers here are constricting the road in front of motor vehicles, aka acting like assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    They're supposed to be stud road bikers, but seem a bit blasé about the phenomenon whereby oncoming losers with zero goal instinct meet at the narrowest or most hazardous point on a straight road with uncanny frequency.
    This loser instinct and subconscious accelerator pedal manipulation is closely related to why defenders and other such no-scoring also-rans miss easy shots on breakaways - they feel the clock tick and focus on the goalie and because of that, they end up shooting right at the goalie instead of all that wide open open net. But I digress...

Anyway, the bikers here are constricting the road in front of motor vehicles, aka acting like assholes.
    i bet this made sense in your head somehow

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Agreed that there's not nearly enough context here. But I'll note that honking is almost never nice and almost always startling. Also, cyclists are not required to ride single file and are have every right to ride in the lane--even if there is a bike lane. (At least in the places where I've checked the laws.) Drivers should pass cyclists just as they would a piece of farm machinery--safely, after changing lanes.

I was told by a sheriff deputy recently to ride single file on a road where maybe 3 cars will pass in 30 minutes. I started to correct him but he sped off. Even the popo doesn't know the law.
    It would be nice if people could do what they can to accommodate each other.

Good question.

I do wonder why the motorist was pulled over on the shoulder though. Were they deliberately stirring the pot?

this video doesn't do the filmer any favors

he honks; they pull over [so far so good, no?]
    cut edit [likely missing some antics/tomfoolery]
    driver is stopped in shoulder & cyclists pass in lane of travel looking back/gesticulating (maybe even yelling?) [who knows?...no audio & lo res]
    rider looking back clips his buddy & they go down

had driver not been in shoulder, riders might still be riding the shoulder, no?

driver could have legitimate reason for being stopped on shoulder, but apparently riders seem pissed, so maybe not?

vid is woefully incomplete for legitimizing calling anything shown "entitled" behavior

sure is funny to see cyclists run into each other, tho, right?
    I think the video nearly perfectly illustrates the discussion by virtue of lack of context and shadenfreunde expressed by both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I do wonder why the motorist was pulled over on the shoulder though. Were they deliberately stirring the pot?
    Who knows, there's no evidence, only assumptions being made.

I think the video nearly perfectly illustrates the discussion by virtue of lack of context and shadenfreunde expressed by both parties.
    i think the video nearly perfectly expresses the general driver contempt for cyclists without much evidence of actual problematic riding

art imitates life, no?

Who knows, there's no evidence, only assumptions being made.
    That's a good point. I bet the cyclists edited out all the entitled stuff they did.