Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1829
    Came to this thread this evening because I almost hit a cyclist today (he would have actually been going faster than I was driving had we collided, so maybe it woulda been him hitting me). Coincidentally slightly similar to what you're discussing--cyclist does that thing they do all the time where they blow through a red light from a side street to merge into traffic on a large avenue (this guy was making a left onto the road I was driving on). Nothing would have happened except the cab in front of me happened to slam on his brakes so he could try to cut across two lanes to get a fare, and I had to slam on my brakes and began drifting left to avoid him, which was about when the cyclist was blowing through his red light and suddenly found himself with about 10" of space between my fender and the row of parked cars. It got to the point where I began trying to figure out if I should nail the cab in front of me or run into the cyclist--fortunately I was able to slow just enough to allow the cyclist to get ahead of me and not hit the cab. But WTF is with these cyclists who literally fly through red lights and don't even bother turning their heads to see oncoming traffic? It's like they assume drivers will always see them and avoid them, or like they're daring someone to run into them. And I think it's worse now with more bicycles out there than it used to be--a few days ago I witnessed three cyclists basically collide with each other when two of them were riding the wrong way and another cyclist was coming toward them alongside some road construction that left a very narrow lane for car traffic--so no room for the morons on the bikes to pass each other. Kind of satisfying watching them almost fall over, but too bad for the guy on the bike riding the right way.
    [quote][//quote]

I continue to have recurring issues with a particular group of 3 ebikers, 2 recumbant trikes and a 2 wheeler, one of these douches on yhe trike wears a fullface with goggles....doing 30mph all over the place, scattering pedestrians and kids and dogs on the sidewalk. They’re too pussy to ride in the street and they basically have electric motorcycles the police disregard, so they blaze around causing chaos on the sidewalks.

I’m kind of building up a real strong hatred for these people and I really hope they just go back to wherever they came here from before I can’t help myself from knocking the living shit out of the motocross helmet recumbent trike guy as he tries to blow past me on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

I’m kind of building up a real strong hatred for these people and I really hope they just go back to wherever they came here from before I can’t help myself from knocking the living shit out of the motocross helmet recumbent trike guy as he tries to blow past me on the sidewalk.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Reminds of the bike pump through the spokes scene in Breaking Away. Great movie.

Lately there's been an epidemic of large groups of heavily spandexed boomers on road bikes stopping on bike paths and bike path access roads, completely blocking both bikes and cars as they chit chat. Asking them to move doesn't work. For Tahoe locals--its happening at and near the bike and river access lot near the Tahoe City transit center. Anyone know these clowns?

Sounds like the cyclists punked you. Lol.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Sounds like the cyclists punked you. Lol.
    Nope--3 of them are in the hospital. They won't try that crap on me again.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Reminds of the bike pump through the spokes scene in Breaking Away. Great movie.

Lately there's been an epidemic of large groups of heavily spandexed boomers on road bikes stopping on bike paths and bike path access roads, completely blocking both bikes and cars as they chit chat. Asking them to move doesn't work.
    Bike pump still works but needs to go to the head instead of through the spokes.

Have regularly wished for something to stick through the spokes watching guys fly through crowded crosswalks inches from people (making them almost fall when they react). Like drivers who disregard pedestrians when turning.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    you sound like liam neeson just waiting to get into a fight with ‘some black bastard’. thank god you haven’t thrown an elbow at some random cyclist yet.
    Not talking about a random cyclist, obviously--but yeah, there are some dipshits out there who probably deserve to be laid out. But you seem pretty worked up about all this--maybe Minneapolis is the place for you. (Hyperbole much? Liam Neeson and black bastards? Don't even know what to make of that.)

And while I'm here, still waiting for enlightenment on what I posted earlier:

But WTF is with these cyclists who literally fly through red lights and don't even bother turning their heads to see oncoming traffic? It's like they assume drivers will always see them and avoid them, or like they're daring someone to run into them.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One of my all time favorites. So many great scenes and a great story too. Maybe I'll have to break out my DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    But WTF is with these cyclists who literally fly through red lights and don't even bother turning their heads to see oncoming traffic? It's like they assume drivers will always see them and avoid them, or like they're daring someone to run into them.
    People in NYC are just fucking crazy in general?

It does warp people's minds, for sure. It's like living in a 24/7 gangster rap song.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I mostly mountain bike so I don’t have to deal with it. Don’t even really like road riding much. But it sure is convenient to go grab some groceries or my mail at the post office, and yeah, I have to deal with a lot of bitch ass attitudes while on slow residential roads. If you don’t think cars and bikes can both be on 25mph roads without people dying, you’re part of the problem.
    25=40. I challenge you (or anyone) to find someone doing less than 10-20% above the speed limit on most streets in the suburbs. Around here it's generally more like if the limit is 30 you're good up to ~40 and the PD won't give you a hard time unless you're driving erratically or do something really dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    That isn't a no win situation in the slightest. The cyclist doesn't have a legal right to not be inconvenienced either. In this situation you completely ignore the possibility of the cyclist slowing down, or stopping even, and waiting to merge legally and safely to the other lane. In this scenario of the late merge the cyclist should fucking stop and wait, just like a car would in a similar situation where their lane is blocked and the other lane is already occupied.
    The thing is the cars don't stop they just move where they need to be because they think they're entitled to.

And while I'm here, still waiting for enlightenment on what I posted earlier:

Those cyclists are entitled assholes with zero situational awareness. They exist. For every shitty cyclist I see on my daily bike commute I see dozens of dumb ass people driving cars. They're texting, swerving into traffic, not using their turn signals, not stopping at stop signs, driving over the speed limit, blocking the bike lane, etc, etc. It seems like there's assholes and idiots everywhere, no matter how they choose to get around. Who knew?

Big wide road with a bike lane clearly marked, a mile from my moms house. I walked and rode bikes on this street to elementary, middle, and high school.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBE88989-07B0-4F63-8FE1-8226B40AB718.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	727.4 KB 
ID:	293609

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Those cyclists are entitled assholes with zero situational awareness. They exist. For every shitty cyclist I see on my daily bike commute I see dozens of dumb ass people driving cars. They're texting, swerving into traffic, not using their turn signals, not stopping at stop signs, driving over the speed limit, blocking the bike lane, etc, etc. It seems like there's assholes and idiots everywhere, no matter how they choose to get around. Who knew?
    Yeah, but you know what? There isn't really a category of driver that does the equivalent all day, every single time they drive (just flying out into traffic with the expectation that everyone is going to accommodate them). Sure, they do all sorts of stupid shit and there are way too many horrible drivers out there (we really need to get a stringent licensing exam). But this is next level shit I see every fucking day, all day long. Whatever--it's apparently not going to change (but it is why when I've come across cyclists getting scraped off the pavement I assume it's due to some stupid shit they were doing).
    [quote][//quote]

Yeah, but you know what? There isn't really a category of driver that does the equivalent all day, every single time they drive (just flying out into traffic with the expectation that everyone is going to accommodate them).
    Have you never actually seen an uber driver?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    It's their calling card.

By the way, a first post quote in a 72 page thread?

Things are gettin frothy in here.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Kind of indistinguishable from cabbies, actually, aside from car color.

But even they don't go through red lights at 30 mph into traffic.
    Usually.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

By the way, a first post quote in a 72 page thread?

Things are gettin frothy in here.
    Well that seems passive aggressive.
    Just talk to me directly I can take it.

Well that seems passive aggressive.
    Just talk to me directly I can take it.
    Ok. Hey Rideski, my post wasn't directed at you. It was more in awe that I had to look back to see that it was post #1 from over 3 years ago that was quoted. This thing has long since taken on a life of its own.

The last few pages have been frothy as it relates to law vis-a-vis motorists and cyclists. Nothing on your part.

But now that I've had a chance to reflect on all my interactions with road cyclists since I started this thread so long ago I will say that the Thursday night pelotons through the neighborhood are less about cycling and more about taking to the motorists in how they revel in new ways to inconvenience drivers.

Personally I don't care as I enjoy the fresh air after a day in the office and the chance to listen to the ballgame for an extra 20 minutes as Lance and the boys scream at the other cars on the road.

3+ feet high and rising.

Deuces.

Well the problem from my point of view is the fucked up title which is at the top of the news feed every fucking day for the last couple years, which you started.

Seems self explanatory on a gravity adrenaline junkie motivated web site there’s going to be a lot of cyclists here. Most of us are probably decent riders, and don’t hold up your Atlanta rush hour traffic.

Therefore, seems out of place and tiresome to keep seeing it.

I would add that the point the pelotons are trying to make, is that people who do obey all the laws, and are courteous to boot, are fucking dying on the roads in droves due to the animosity of motorists, as was in your initial post, which didn’t say anything about 3 feet and peaceful harmonious road sharing.

Well the problem from my point of view is the fucked up title which is at the top of the news feed every fucking day for the last couple years, which you started.

Seems self explanatory on a gravity adrenaline junkie motivated web site there’s going to be a lot of cyclists here. Most of us are probably decent riders, and don’t hold up your Atlanta rush hour traffic.

Therefore, seems out of place and tiresome to keep seeing it.
    Agree that there's likely more cyclists here than not, and also that the cyclists here should be more likely than others to laugh at or at least look side-eyed at kooks like the nutjob in the original linked story.

I mean, we're all above-average snow sports enthusiasts and no one gets too twisted about the latest gaper story or tall-T nonsense that affects them.

Case in point, from what I can tell, the last year or so of this thread has been dedicated to laughing at a guy with a death wish in Minneapolis that is not Digitaldrew. This stereotype exists for a reason it seems.

Anyway, I'm lucky I don't have to deal with much rush hour traffic as my commute home is on the peloton route and I like to laugh to myself at the bulging veins on some of these guys raging at the world around them as they try and exercise while I slowly pass with a smile and a wave. YMMV.

For clarity I don’t agree with all of the methods of critical mass or participate in those rides, just saying that’s part of what they’re trying to express.

But fuck, change the title of the thread already or put it in poly ass where it belongs.

Options

Some cyclists are fucked in the head

1% of cyclists have a death wish and 5 chips on their shoulder

Will the methods of critical mass work

You’d be a better cyclist if you could cough up $37 fucking dollars

Etc

I smell a flash poll coming on. (and I don't go into polyass, not that cycling is polyass per se, but to quote a wise mag: there is only one forum to rile them all)

I'll rename the thread if we can leave new thread name nominations open for a few days here and someone puts up the flash poll thread.

Spandex Death Wish would make a killer band name for a prog-rock cover band composed of dentists fwiw.