Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Alright, here's a question for the collective:

Below is a picture of an unmarked intersection I cross through often. There are no yield signs, no stop signs, nothing.

One day while traveling west on Stoval Rd. doing the speed limit of 50mph in my large farm truck (I was highly visible) two bicyclists traveling south on Swegle Rd. turned east on to Stoval Rd. right in front of me causing me to slam on the breaks. When I honked they flipped me off. Who has the right away at this intersection?
    Does right has right of way apply?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Vehicular Cycling ... the practice of taking the whole road for safety. I do it sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling

I would assume since you're staying on the same road, you do, but without some clear signage you might have a tough time ducking manslaughter charges if you hit them when they got there first. Have you called Dan Samas yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    If there's no shoulder, then you probably can't go by a single cyclist, give them three feet, and not leave your lane. I will frequently ride farther out in the lane to discourage cars from trying to squeeze by when there is a blind corner or oncoming traffic. I don't see how it makes a difference if they are 2,3 or 4 across all in the lane, you're going to have to cross over the center line to go by safely no matter what.
    You are part of the problem, be courteous to everyone or just stay home. Or ride roads with shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Does right has right of way apply?
    I've thought about that but I don't think so because it is essentially a "T" intersection. Stoval Rd. dips a little north there but only because there is an irrigation canal/sluice to the south that it needs to bulge around. It is a straight east/west road where as Swegle Rd. dead ends into it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Vehicular Cycling ... the practice of taking the whole road for safety. I do it sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling
    When 4 cyclists hog the road abreast of one another when riding single file would allow motor vehicles to pass them with a 3+ foot clearance in the same lane, why is it done?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I would assume since you're staying on the same road, you do, but without some clear signage you might have a tough time ducking manslaughter charges if you hit them when they got there first. Have you called Dan Samas yet?
    They didn't get there first - it was kinda simultaneous. It was fortunate for them I realized they had no intention of stopping and were going to turn in front of me.

LOL!! Doubt Dan wants to come to my corner of the state. I have considered taking this up with the county to get signage.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You are part of the problem, be courteous to everyone or just stay home. Or ride roads with shoulders.
    Better to be safe than worry about courtesy. Your 30 second delay doesn't justify risking my life. If I'm bothering you because I'm 3 feet into the road, then it's clear you've seen me. Take a deep breath. Bikes are vehicles and Wheel of Fortune can wait.

When 4 cyclists hog the road abreast of one another when riding single file would allow motor vehicles to pass them with a 3+ foot clearance in the same lane, why is it done?
    I don't disagree and always move from side-by-side to single file when a car is coming up from behind. Notably 2-abreast is allowed by law in most states. Regardless, until I'm sure I've been seen, I may come into the lane a bit.

Better to be safe than worry about courtesy.
    Sometimes, they can go hand in hand.
    Your 30 second delay doesn't justify risking my life. If I'm bothering you because I'm 3 feet into the road, then it's clear you've seen me. Take a deep breath. Bikes are vehicles and Wheel of Fortune can wait.
    But why be 3 feet into the road? Assholes are going to be assholes, so this kind of behavior just penalizes people who do go out of lane to get around you and it may be putting yourself in a hazardous position.

They didn't get there first - it was kinda simultaneous. It was fortunate for them I realized they had no intention of stopping and were going to turn in front of me.

LOL!! Doubt Dan wants to come to my corner of the state. I have considered taking this up with the county to get signage.
    Mass x velocity = you win
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Sometimes, they can go hand in hand.

But why be 3 feet into the road? Assholes are going to be assholes, so this kind of behavior just penalizes people who do go out of lane to get around you and it may be putting yourself in a hazardous position.
    I should have been clearer. Once I know I've been seen, I make every effort to go back to the shoulder. Four abreast is not cool. Not moving over for cars is not cool. I'm not militant about claiming the road with my actions, just making sure I don't blend in with the street signs.

This particular road is very bad. It is one blind turn after another and it's long. On the weekends, if you're a car, you basically can't drive on. It's frustrating for everyone.
    I hate that road on the east side of MI on the weekends too

I don't disagree and always move from side-by-side to single file when a car is coming up from behind.
    Cool. That does not seem to be the norm around here.
    Notably 2-abreast is allowed by law in most states.
    I'm not sure what that means, but again, it one wonders what the motivation is when single file is safer for everyone and shows.
    Regardless, until I'm sure I've been seen, I may come into the lane a bit.
    OK. Get a flashing seat led.

I do feel for the cyclists out there, having been clipped and run into ditches, but getting pissed off and acting out towards reasonable people in retribution is no way to solve anything or be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Mass x velocity = you win
    M x V^2

I am a road cyclist. The shit i see on a normal morning scares the shit out of me. I am happy in a city environment. I get city traffic , know how to ride it and am cool. It is the country lanes with fucking idiots texting, smoking, eating, jerking off whatever else that is deadly. last weekend, out for a ride come to an intersection loaded with backed up traffic. I am cutting through, get to the intersection and there is a cyclist lying on the ground in a pool of blood not moving. Some idiot woman is wandering around saying " I didn't see him"

The guy was wearing a reflective vest!!!! Pull your head out of your ass and look around and respect the fact that you are sharing the road with joggers, motorcyclists and bikes.

If I only used roads with shoulders I pretty much wouldn't be able to ride a bike.

And sorry, I'm not going to hug the edge of the dirt so I can have cars going by me with inches to spare. Without a shoulder there is not room for a bike and a passing car to fit in one lane. All I'm doing is riding maybe 2 feet from the white line, I don't think that suddenly makes me a "lane hogging traffic cop," I just want cars to give me some space and maybe slow down a bit.

Another thing, does it take longer to pass 15 bikes all in a single file line, or 15 bikes in a shorter but wider group?

Cool. That does not seem to be the norm around here.

I'm not sure what that means, but again, it one wonders what the motivation is when single file is safer for everyone and shows.

OK. Get a flashing seat led.

I do feel for the cyclists out there, having been clipped and run into ditches, but getting pissed off and acting out towards reasonable people in retribution is no way to solve anything or be safe.
    My wife and I were riding in city traffic. Some fat fuck pulled out from the curb without looking and nearly clipped her. She gave him the finger and told him to invest in some fucking driving lessons.

He chose to stop the car, and get out and get into a screaming match. I let the mrs. Read him the riot act, question what power microscope is required to view his manhood, etc. I also quietly pulled out the u lock and walked behind him. He came within a half inch of touching my wife: make no mistake, that was a half inch away from getting his skull caved in.

I think drivers often feel free to threaten or attempt to intimidate other people because they are ensconced in a climate controlled steel cocoon. I'm not saying I endorse it, but I don't mind reading about someone reaching through the window or the door of the obesity coffin and serving a dose of reality to our nation's motorists.

If I only used roads with shoulders I pretty much wouldn't be able to ride a bike.

And sorry, I'm not going to hug the edge of the dirt so I can have cars going by me with inches to spare. Without a shoulder there is not room for a bike and a passing car to fit in one lane. All I'm doing is riding maybe 2 feet from the white line, I don't think that suddenly makes me a "lane hogging traffic cop," I just want cars to give me some space and maybe slow down a bit.
    Again, all you're doing is penalizing the people who do try to give you some room. The assholes are going to rip by you as close as ever. For those of us who get it about road riding, you just seem like an asshole.

Another thing, does it take longer to pass 15 bikes all in a single file line, or 15 bikes in a shorter but wider group?
    That depends on traffic patterns, but in a lot of scenario, I can pass a single file pelo and not have to go far into the oncoming lane where I can't pass the assholes who won't share the road.

Depends, how big of a plow is on the front of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    I am a road cyclist. The shit i see on a normal morning scares the shit out of me. I am happy in a city environment. I get city traffic , know how to ride it and am cool. It is the country lanes with fucking idiots texting, smoking, eating, jerking off whatever else that is deadly. last weekend, out for a ride come to an intersection loaded with backed up traffic. I am cutting through, get to the intersection and there is a cyclist lying on the ground in a pool of blood not moving. Some idiot woman is wandering around saying " I didn't see him"

The guy was wearing a reflective vest!!!! Pull your head out of your ass and look around and respect the fact that you are sharing the road with joggers, motorcyclists and bikes.
    Ugh, no one wants to see that. The bigger issue is clearly people not paying attention on the road. I don't mind a call-out or middle finger from cyclist to motorist or vice versa if its warranted. I am just seeing way too many passive aggressive assholes on two wheels these days. I see you, and I don't want my car anywhere near you.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My wife and I were riding in city traffic. Some fat fuck pulled out from the curb without looking and nearly clipped her. She gave him the finger and told him to invest in some fucking driving lessons.

He chose to stop the car, and get out and get into a screaming match. I let the mrs. Read him the riot act, question what power microscope is required to view his manhood, etc. I also quietly pulled out the u lock and walked behind him. He came within a half inch of touching my wife: make no mistake, that was a half inch away from getting his skull caved in.

I think drivers often feel free to threaten or attempt to intimidate other people because they are ensconced in a climate controlled steel cocoon. I'm not saying I endorse it, but I don't mind reading about someone reaching through the window or the door of the obesity coffin and serving a dose of reality to our nation's motorists.
    Great, but your situation doesn't address what I'm talking about: road hogs and blocking rural roads.

There's assholes on both sides of the issue. I try not to be one.

Alright, here's a question for the collective:

Below is a picture of an unmarked intersection I cross through often. There are no yield signs, no stop signs, nothing.

One day while traveling west on Stoval Rd. doing the speed limit of 50mph in my large farm truck (I was highly visible) two bicyclists traveling south on Swegle Rd. turned east on to Stoval Rd. right in front of me causing me to slam on the breaks. When I honked they flipped me off. Who has the right away at this intersection?

Here's how the intersection works:

Traffic traveling south on Swegle Rd. either turns west or east when it reaches Stoval Rd. The west bound branch merges into Stoval Rd. without crossing traffic but the east bound branch of Swegle Rd. must cross over the west bound lane of Stoval. Stoval can either continue straight or take the "Y" and head North. To me this intersection is essentially a "T" except someone, way back when, decided to make a lazy "Y" probably to make the turn easier for farm equipment.

Attachment 186816
    This particular road is very bad. It is one blind turn after another and it's long. On the weekends, if you're a car, you basically can't drive on. It's frustrating for everyone.
    i'm not sure you can claim ROW at 50mph when approaching an intersection
    imagine standing in front of a judge saying that

All you can do is drive responsibly and know that other road users won't be predictable

i totally understand the frustration
    i drive around groups of cyclists too

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Ugh, no one wants to see that. The bigger issue is clearly people not paying attention on the road. I don't mind a call-out or middle finger from cyclist to motorist or vice versa if its warranted. I am just seeing way too many passive aggressive assholes on two wheels these days. I see you, and I don't want my car anywhere near you.
    As a pedestrian and occasional driver I could write the same thread about drivers watching videos while driving. It's ridiculous. Yes I see you, random dude on the highway watching a movie on your phone mounted to the windshield....

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    As a pedestrian and occasional driver I could write the same thread about drivers watching videos while driving. It's ridiculous. Yes I see you, random dude on the highway watching a movie on your phone mounted to the windshield....
    Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? I see all kinds of assholes with their giant phablets suction-cupped to the windshield directly in front of them. How in the fuck is that good for your vision, nevermind that I see you watching netflix or stabbing at it with your fat fingers trying to text?

/threaddrift
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    There's some group ride around here on Wednesday nights where apparently all traffic laws are suspended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    For my part, when I eventually pass cyclists who aren't being courteous, I put the pedal to the floor and blow a cloud of diesel smoke out the pipe at them. Good times...

Most of the folks frothing over cyclists breaking the law break the law themselves. It's just that sometimes cyclists break the law in different ways than drivers do. Are cyclists doing things like rolling though stop signs disproportionately versus cars speeding, texting, honking, not yielding to pedestrians, etc. ?