Page 21 of 101 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Can a bicyclist get pulled over for speeding?
    With respect to that video, while there is some (limited, really) Highway Patrol activity along Sunrise Hwy., and CHP has the authority to enforce traffic code anywhere within the State, it's the Forest Service that performs most of the "dirty work" along that road. But I've never seen, nor heard, of FS rangers enforcing posted speed limits anywhere in Kalifornia. ANYWHERE. Regardless of vehicle. The fuckers issue plenty of parking tickets, though (ask me how I know), so I'm guessing that that activity must provide a fairly decent revenue stream.

So, the simple answer is yes, but don't bank on it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The section of Sunrise in that posted video is mostly descent (not terribly steep, but steep enough), and fairly twisty, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    you are correct sir, the steeper, more technical 'turny' it gets, the more the 16 pound bike has the advantage
    The road down from Sunrise (Rainier) is a rather extreme example. Great place to research gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Any fixies?
    Don't recall seeing any dreadlocks, so I'm guessing no.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Re Donner Pass Road - some cyclists self-select from riding it already. I've always thought it could be a cool ride, but have avoided it exactly because of the narrow points on the road and the numerous cars. Maybe mid-week it's better? I choose to bring my MTB to Tahoe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    you are correct sir, the steeper, more technical 'turny' it gets, the more the 16 pound bike has the advantage
    bringing them down from speed and working them outside-inside-outside is way easier on a bicycle
    Tour of Spain is on UHD, the motorcycles have been unable to stay ahead on many descents
    the Vuelta is steeper than Le Tour
    The motorcycles were the race officials or whatever they're called. Get some pro grand prix dude dragging his knee and a roadie would be left in the dust.

700 roadies in town for a 4 day stage race this weekend . Good times

Fu*king Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    That's like a slow day for my town.

It's actually pretty cool to watch these big groups cruise by... and I actually got a couple of thank you's while I waited for all of them to go through the intersection.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-02-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I had to pass a car yesterday coming down from Mt. Evans. I was averaging about 60-65 kmh (37-41mph) and I had to keep dragging the brakes because of the car in front of me. The were having a good laugh that I was keeping up/on their bumper, so on one on the straights I just got out in the other lane, let off the brakes and easily went past. I got a friendly wave and big smile form them. I think my top speed on that decent was 71kmh.

Guess Columbus, Ohio doesn't get it.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/s...d-columbus-bw1

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Guess Columbus, Ohio doesn't get it.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/s...d-columbus-bw1
    Huh? They are trying to make it safer for the bikers, and you don't like that?

sarcasm

I was watching the Tour of California last year in downtown Sacramento--4 laps through the grid. They were going way over the speed limit and blowing stop signs, tons of cops around, but nobody got a ticket. What gives? (And seriously, the cops in cars were having a tough time keeping up on the 90 degree turns).

This is what I'm most scared of when riding.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...and-killed/amp
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    You live close enough to make it 701?

If it's still around next year, I think I'm going to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The right hook is so scary. I spent a last summer living in Toronto and riding a bike to work in the urban environment. I had a blister/callus on my "bell thumb" by the end of the summer. I was THAT GUY, fucking ringing my bell at everyone who was ready to open a car door, pull out in front of me, step of the curb into the bike lane, or pass me right before the intersection and then want to make a right turn.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post

I used to mountain bike with the race promoter in the 90s. Gave up Road riding a long time ago.
    give it a whirl it's pretty cool race I might end up in Burlington to watch the crit on Monday

Every year I think about doing that race and always convince myself I don't have the fitness. Kinda like Catskills.

It's a shame what happened to the Tour of the Catskills. It used to be a great event. It shouldn't be called the ToC any more now that it's been reduced to a 1 day Gran Fondo event. The GMSR would make a great goal for the event its self as well as all the benefits of being fit for the ski season.

On the bright side, we've got just about 1 year to train for GMSR 2017!
    Last edited by FLS; 09-02-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...and-killed/amp
    there was another one just like it in the Sac Bee today.
    My kid did a SF to DC bike trip with their frat. They rode I70 through the mtns in CO. Some years ago a kid was killed at a ramp by an exiting truck, so now all the kids exit and reenter at each ramp. My son did it on Sunday, July 5 and they were passing the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i'm not condoning the lady's actions above, and I will give you that cyclists have serious assholes in their midst, but, for those of you who haven't spent 1000's of miles on a bike in a year, maybe you should try it...cyclists have their lives threatened in many ways on the regular and in the most seemingly minor ways to drivers

if you ride regularly, odds are that you will be in an accident that is not your fault, and, for those of you who ride in NYC, those odds are exceptionally high
    or have assholes try to run you off the road.. no doubt there are cyclists who are disrespectful.. but every cyclist puts their life on the line every time they clip in...
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    or have assholes try to run you off the road.. no doubt there are cyclists who are disrespectful.. but every cyclist puts their life on the line every time they clip in...
    Oh yeah, your life is on the line. Might as well be a marine. Just a reminder that more people die in car accidents than riding their toys in traffic. Try riding on bike paths if you don't like getting hit by cars. Road bikes in NYC for 15 years - usually in between and against traffic. Got hit by cars all the time, 'cause they're like, driving on the road and stuff. Roads are for cars. They're not for pedestrians, and their not for your obnoxious little hobby. Every time you go out and don't get flattened, you should be grateful to all those drivers who were so forgiving of your lack of self awareness and preservation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Are you really this starved for attention?

Are you really this starved for attention?
    So starved for attention that I dress up in a bike racing costume and go play pretend bike racer on public roadways?

As a matter of fact, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.