2016 Eastern Snow & Avalanche Workshop = November 5

I've now gone three weeks without skiing.
    And the temps here are finally back within somewhat reasonable ranges.
    So must be time to start thinking about the 2016-17 ski season!

The 6th annual ESAW will be held on its typical first Saturday in November.
    So that's November 5 this year.
    Venue is Fryeburg Academy.
    (You didn't really think we'd ever score the deluxe Mount Washington Hotel again, did you?)
    Just across the NH-ME line, but still the Mount Washington Valley.
    I'll post more details once available.

Also as is typical, the ESAW presentations will be preceded the prior evening (i.e., Friday) by a kick-off party at IME.

And ESAW will be followed the next day (i.e., Sunday) with an AIARE Instructor Refresher Course
    (Somewhere in or near North Conway, exact venue TBD.)
    The separate registration for that is here:
    http://aiare.info/course_detail.php?recid=3601
    This is typically open both to officially qualified AIARE instructors and also to anyone else involved in (or even just interested in becoming involved in) avalanche safety education.

Also, although in the past I've succeeded with (or been utterly rejected by) most of the usual industry suspects for donating raffle prizes and/or participating in the post-presentations expo, I'm also open to suggestions.
    (Both outdoor brands and nonprofit groups.)
    I'd be particularly grateful if anyone has ties to reps for Scarpa (which you'd think would be all over this event) and Arc'Teryx (with the new climbing-oriented ski touring boot).
    And yes, I know they have national contact info, but that never seems to work with any of these brands.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Every year Jonathan you bring some serious swag to the event. Props to you.

Views from Fryeburg are nice too, just bring a bag lunch. The local establishments are somewhat limited.

Best kickoff to ski season in the NE IMHO.

Calling it right now, that Jonathan will start a new streak for skiing on ESAW weekend this year.

3 weeks since you last skied? Rub it in a bit. No Chili trip this year?

Going to be an epic year on the East Coast.

The ESAW wkend "skiing" that "darkstar" & I engaged in last yr at Bretton Woods on Sun definitely pushes the definition of the sport -- in the wrong direction!

Chile last yr for me was a biz trip w/ ski benefits.
    (Although the benefits were definitely appreciated!)
    The funniest part of that trip was that it took place in between my Jun & Jul PNW ski trips.
    So I went on a summer ski trip.
    Came back home for awhile and enjoyed "real" summer.
    Went on a winter ski trip.
    Came back home for awhile and enjoyed "real" summer.
    Went on another summer ski trip.
    Came back home and began preparations for the next ski season!

Anyway, back to ESAW: the speaker line-up will once again be very impressive, since in addition to the homegrown talent, we'll have a presenter from somewhere outside the region courtesy of money from the American Avy Ass'n grant I submitted, yet another outside presenter in the form of the Executive Director of the American Avy Ass'n, and at least one instructor trainer from the American Institute for Avalanche Research & Education.

(And maybe some resort nearby will even have a WROD for some turns afterwards!)

That's right I forgot you guys skied last year.

First post here in a while- inspired by ESAW and my first issue of Powder arriving in the mail

Jonathan, our first day of "skiing" definitely pushed the definition. We might have been better off on roller skis. Hopefully this year the mercury will be a little lower and we'll have a real WROD!

Registration is live now

http://www.esaw.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Registration is live now

http://www.esaw.org/
    ...and done. See you all there!

Agenda is now posted:
    http://www.esaw.org/2016-agenda/
    (Plus I have 21 sponsors lined up so far, with a few more likely to confirm soon.)

Materials?

Can't believe I missed this! Any chance some of the materials were distributed/made available to the general public?

Sorry you missed it, although thanks for your interest in the materials.
    Besides my annual articles for the American Avalanche Association's "The Avalanche Review" publication, materials have not been saved in any sort official organized way (i.e., this isn't like ISSW).
    My airbag presentation (both ppt & audio) are posted from 2014, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
    Catamount Trail Association was planning a podcast but that was just for one of the presentations.

Shoot. Heard you were doing a write up and when I saw your name as last post thought this might be it.

Couple places to check for information, but an in person course is best.

http://www.fsavalanche.org/

http://www.americanavalancheassociat...lanche-review/

I've taken a level 1 course and read most of the texts on the subject, just saw the topics covered on the NEAlpineStart site and was hoping to read through some of the presentations. Not so much as a substitute for a proper class, just out of curiosity about what's happening in the snow science space on the east coast. I'll dig up your airbag presentation and keep an eye out (and figures crossed) for a podcast from the Catamount Trail Association. Thanks for putting this together. I'll be there next year!

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    [...] I'll be there next year!
    Speaking of next year, which is now, umm, this year: the 2017 ESAW will be held on Saturday November 11.
    Note that this is one week later than usual.
    Venue will as always be in the broadly defined Mount Washington Valley, most likely just across the state line at last year's sweet venue at Fryeburg Academy (specifically the Leura Hill Eastman Performing Arts Center).
    More details once we're closer to the fall, but expect a similar presentations mix, admission fee, event schedule, etc. as in prior years.
    Okay, back to summer everyone!
    (Although we did carry all our avy rescue gear with us on Shasta this past week.)