Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: WSL

Owen Wright baby!!!!
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Owen Wright baby!!!!
    I'm soo bummed Medina lost

Pipe masters is on and firing. Near perfect conditions.

Jaws big wave challenge on for tomorrow too.

Slater killed his heat. Backdoor 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Pipe masters is on and firing. Near perfect conditions.

Jaws big wave challenge on for tomorrow too.

Slater killed his heat. Backdoor 10.
    "Kelly in freak mode at the moment"

It looks interesting. If my math is correct the only shot Kolohe has is if both Medina and Italo lose in this round and he wins the event.

I love to watch Medina surf, part of that is being goofy. I don't hate him the way some others do, but I would love to see someone else win. Obviously he is a great surfer, and he seems to deeply want to win more titles, but I don't think he will ever be considered as great of a surfer as John John is unless he improves.

John John is simply the best surfer in the world, and had he not gotten hurt this year he would have cruised to another title in all likelihood, I don't think anyone could have challenged him. Last year he started slowly and got hurt, so I doubt he would have been able to win, but there is the possibility that he would have gone on a run and won. When he wants to win a title there is simply no one on his level, but he does not seem nearly as motivated at Medina. I think it does irk Medina that he has not beaten John John, except back in 2014 when he was still young, and that his titles, last year and possibly this year, have happened when John John has been hurt. I think he really wants to be looked at as the best, and that won't happen unless he wins a title when John John is healthy. Even if he were to do that, he is simply not as great of a surfer as the Hawaiian, and I think that drives him. John John seems motivated to be a great surfer more than to win world titles. In a sense Kelly was a combination of the two, the surfing ability of John John combined with the competitive drive of Medina. John John seems to want to be the best surfer in the world, but he does not seem as motivated to win titles. If Medina gets another that might change, it might motivate John John to win more titles.

What is interesting is that if Italo, Medina and John John all win the next heat that would put Medina up against John John, who is obviously much better at Pipe when healthy, giving John John the chance to knock Medina out. It would be interesting to see that happen.

I am really rooting for Italo and Andino. I love watching those guys surf, and it would be nice to see someone else win. If Italo and Medina win the next round it would be great to see John John knock Medina out.

There is also the possibility of Slater and John John meeting in the final. It would be awesome to see Slater against the current king, and John John has never won the Pipe Masters.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I dont think JJ can take an inform Kelly. But will he be in form? Man the wind got on it for that last heat looked like a big day at Spanish House but with a better channel

Loving the WSL on facebook the ultimate worktimewaster
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Kelly's wave was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, 10s all day!

It would be rad to see a San Clemente kid Andino take it although I can't say I enjoy watching him that much. I do think he should have won the comp (Gold Coast) he got second in due to overscoring of an Italo wave and Kolohe's underscored wave.

Well said Long. It would be rad to see a fierce competitiveness in JJ but that's probably what we love about him is he doesn't take it too serious and is enjoying life. I actually enjoy watching his brother's casual and non-scripted YT videos.

I was really rooting for Jordie this season but the guy needs to take some wins.

Why I don't like Medina, I don't know (too cocky?) but he does deserve the title. I enjoy his surfing and to me it consistently stands out from the rest (when JJ isn't around) in the widest variety of conditions.

Who's watching Jaws? Billy Kemper just got worked.

edit: and Nick Lamb right after!

Big clean conditions. Some big barrels going down.

Pipe masters washed out. Too big today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Who's watching Jaws? Billy Kemper just got worked.

edit: and Nick Lamb right after!
    How can they paddle Jaws with balls that big?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Ladies up now.

Interesting venue

OlympicTalk: Tahiti chosen for Olympic surfing competition at 2024 Paris Games https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/...ti-paris-2024/

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    I dont think JJ can take an inform Kelly. But will he be in form? Man the wind got on it for that last heat looked like a big day at Spanish House but with a better channel

Loving the WSL on facebook the ultimate worktimewaster
    I really think Kelly just might pull a Kobe Bryant at this contest. He looks like that right now. Kobe scored 60 in his last game, he really looked possessed.

It would be fun to see Kelly win his last contest, and for that contest to be at Pipe. I get the feeling we might see that. JJ wants to win Pipe, it is all that he is missing, but this is Kelly's last contest as a full WSL guy. JJ will have plenty of chances to win Pipe, this contest means FAR more to Kelly. I think Italo is the only guy for whom this contest means that much.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I really think Kelly just might pull a Kobe Bryant at this contest. He looks like that right now. Kobe scored 60 in his last game, he really looked possessed.

It would be fun to see Kelly win his last contest, and for that contest to be at Pipe. I get the feeling we might see that. JJ wants to win Pipe, it is all that he is missing, but this is Kelly's last contest as a full WSL guy. JJ will have plenty of chances to win Pipe, this contest means FAR more to Kelly. I think Italo is the only guy for whom this contest means that much.
    I'm with you man. Nobody will give it to him kelly will have to earn it. It'd be awesome for him to win pipe for an 8th? time and have that be his exit.
    I'd hate to see him start to diminish competitively and still be hunting that last pipe win and never get it.

Go out on top... if he is going out at all cause that dude is a freak and the greatest athlete of all time.

Wholly smokes the surf ladies were getting whompt at jaws.
    They got bigger balls that me without a doubt
    Bunny Don't Surf

The big wave athletes are one of the most, if not the most, underrated athletes in the world. Their combination of being physically and mentally strong is so much more intense than so many other professional athletes.

My son's company does a lot of marketing with JBL and they just sponsored Medina. His boss (a surfer) just joked about backing out of a Vans surf event because of Medina . We were talking about his "reach" and the guy has 8 million followers on Instagram. Wtf. Way more than Kelly and just way more than a shitload of people. The guy is a rock star in South America...and beyond I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Why I don't like Medina, I don't know (too cocky?) but he does deserve the title. I enjoy his surfing and to me it consistently stands out from the rest (when JJ isn't around) in the widest variety of conditions.
    Super Jeebus-y athletes annoy me in general. Maybe they wouldn't if they ever thanked God profusely when they lost, but I've never seen that happen. No denying the guy is an absolutely dominant surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Wholly smokes the surf ladies were getting whompt at jaws.
    They got bigger balls that me without a doubt
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The big wave athletes are one of the most, if not the most, underrated athletes in the world. Their combination of being physically and mentally strong is so much more intense than so many other professional athletes.
    Yup. The beatdowns these guys and gals take over and over are unbelievable.

The thing i love about Nate Florence and those young guys on the Big Wave Tour is they would be out there that day, likely doing the exact same thing, even if there wasn't a camera there. If you don't follow him on the gram its a worthy worthy follow. The amount of work those guys put in in the offseason in the gym is insane.

It's on. Wave looks good for Medina

What a bummer. A week of build up after an exciting 4 days to what may turn out to be an anti-climactic day...unless Kelly wins and retires?

He just confirmed that he is in fact a douche!

Joe, Martin and Billy are losing their minds over Medina's intentional interference.

I mean, sure it was brilliant and he had beach help, but it's so cheezy.

Great to see a change in rules based on this cheezy move.

Definitely one of those "letter of the law" vs. "spirit of the law" situations. Tactically brilliant but incredibly douchey.

Nice ride by Mendes just now.

Slater wins his QF heat on a nice backdoor barrel with 30 seconds left.

Actually got both his scoring waves with under 4 minutes to go.

So fucking clutch!