Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: WSL

Good to see the swell building. The early heats in the round of 16 were diseased.

Definitely firing right now. This Medina/JJF heat is shaping up to be epic.

edit: 10 minutes left in the heat but I think Medina has this one locked up.

Fuck Medina

Well that sucked. Slater never got into that heat.

Congrats to the 47 year old triple crown winner.

Fuck Medina

Eh, I don't know. A Brazilian out-Brazillioned another Brazilian. Surf trip behaviour into the WSL? It's not like it's new to these guys.

Seemed like Medina was trying to take it a bit easy against Griffin (i.e. do just enough to make it through) to conserve some energy since he knew he'd have a shorter rest period than Italo … ??? I hope Italo absolutely, fucking DESTROYS Medina!!!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Ferreira...firing!

Final heat to decide the world champ. The drama....

Yahoo!
    Karma for the cheesey move

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    A Brazilian out-Brazillioned another Brazilian.
    Quote of the day

Stoked Medina lost
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Never watched a WSL event before today. Pretty cool and engaging if you commit to watching the full heats, less so if you can't focus in on the drama/buildup.

I latched on to team Italo. Cool to see it go down to the Final Heat, and psyched that JJF got the Olympic spot.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Never watched a WSL event before today. Pretty cool and engaging if you commit to watching the full heats, less so if you can't focus in on the drama/buildup.

I latched on to team Italo. Cool to see it go down to the Final Heat, and psyched that JJF got the Olympic spot.
    Yeah, it can be tough to watch when its lully. There's a lot of down time. I like when it's on during my work hours. I have one monitor with the event on and can work on the other.

Anyone else catch the first Big Wave At Large episode? Absolutely bananas.

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/post...arge-jaws-2020

I had the replay of the Nazare tow-in comp up on my second monitor all morning. I hate to even say this, but it's just not that exciting to watch. The waves are huge and I'm sure for the guys in the water it's an absolute blast, but it's not nearly as fun to watch as the Jaws big wave comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I had the replay of the Nazare tow-in comp up on my second monitor all morning. I hate to even say this, but it's just not that exciting to watch. The waves are huge and I'm sure for the guys in the water it's an absolute blast, but it's not nearly as fun to watch as the Jaws big wave comp.
    Agreed. I watched one heat and couldn't get into it, haven't even caught highlights. I enjoyed Shipsterns, Jaws was even better, but not Nazare.

There were a few gems. Kai Lenny caught a wave in Heat 6 that was absolutely sick. I'm pretty sure it's the one that won him Best Wave but I haven't been able to find the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

I only could stand watching surfing when I was bottle feeding my kid. Otherwise, watching guys sitting and paddling in a line up can become pretty dull. I found watching events live to be a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I only could stand watching surfing when I was bottle feeding my kid. Otherwise, watching guys sitting and paddling in a line up can become pretty dull. I found watching events live to be a bit better.
    I actually get really into the broadcasts and surprise myself how many heats I can watch. As much as I like watching ski & mountain bike edits, I don't really enjoy watching surf edits/videos as much and prefer watching the whole process the comp broadcast brings (wave selection, wave start to completion).

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post

Stoked Medina lost
    Again

Watched Pipe Masters again. Loved every second of it - fun to watch JJF crush from quarters through finals. I remain surprised at the amount of heat surfing I can watch, but I suspect my interest is limited to barreling waves. So much more suspense when they get covered up and you're waiting for the exit.

I'm also tickled that they send Strider out to bob around in the water for hours on end for what amounts to essentially zero value add for the viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I actually get really into the broadcasts and surprise myself how many heats I can watch. As much as I like watching ski & mountain bike edits, I don't really enjoy watching surf edits/videos as much and prefer watching the whole process the comp broadcast brings (wave selection, wave start to completion).
    I'm actually surprised by how much I like watching the process. I get the surfing events on one of the fox (I think) channels. I enjoy taping them, then fast forwarding some of the slow sections in the heat. I do enjoy watching the process of seeing great surfers read the ocean and evaluate it. I will sometimes watch a heat live if I happen to be watching TV when it is taping, I have it set up to tape all of the events, but it is nice to fast forward past the slow sections.

I loved seeing JF win. He is (IMHO) pretty clearly the best pipe surfer on the WSL. The Pipe win was the only thing he was missing. I love watching Medina surf, I am goofy, but JF is clearly the better surfer at Pipe even though he had not one the event yet. It is right the he has finally won there, although I would have liked to see it in 2-3 times overheard heaving barrels.

I love watching Italo, and I loved seeing him beat Medina last year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Come on Filipe!

Interesting, but fun new format. I thought Conner had Fil's number and that Tat was going to pull it off .....
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

I like the new format also. Surfing, like DH skiing, is so reliant on the weather it's nice to add heats to hopefully even out the set breaks.