Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Choosing AK heli ski op

I've got a group of 4 planning to make a trip to AK for heli skiing next March. We are all strong skiers, but only one has made the voyage to AK before, so I'm sure it will be humbling for the three of us who haven't. We are all looking for a new and challenging experience.

Two operations are on the table, Points North and Alaska Heliskiing in Haines.

Anybody have thoughts on how to choose?

I'm leaning towards AK Heli for a couple reasons:

We know a guide with Alaska Heliskiing, and seems like it has more flexibility in pricing.

Points North is much easier to access from the lower 48 (more flight options, no need for 2nd flight or ferry)

Any comments are appreciated!
    Last edited by thefortrees; 08-23-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: AK heli ski, not AL heli ski...

go with AK Heli. Spend a layover day at Eaglecrest in Juneau.

I didnt even know there was heli skiing in Alabama....interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I didnt even know there was heli skiing in Alabama....interesting.
    I've heard Alabama has the best skiing in the Southeast. Recently read an article in a ski magazine calling out AL as #3 in "top 10 bucket list trips for skiers".

AK Heli and stay at the Funny Farm with crazy Bruce.

Have you looked into Seaba? They were flying when AK Heli wasn't when I was there.

We had a great experience with Points North. We superficially know the owners (Kevin posts up here from time to time) from skiing in Tahoe, and we knew a few of the guides that were on the roster the year we went.

The terrain is...well...mind-blowing. I'm sure it's that way all over Alaska, but the PNH crew knows their zones like the back of their hand. We had some challenging snow conditions (6 feet of blower followed by a rain/wind/freeze event), but the crew did everything possible to find the best snow around. We didn't have the right conditions to charge big lines, but our guide and heli pilots brought us to some amazing places. There's something about a 40-45 degree, 3,000 vertical foot run that keeps going...and going...and going.

Points North has a really good approach to balancing good skiing with safety. Conditions were stable for the most part, but the entire crew approached avalanche safety in a very professional manner. It's clear that the direction comes from the top and is respected all the way down to the tail-gunning guide in training.

Having everything in one place at the PNH Orca lodge was a big plus. As you mention, it's relatively easy to fly in (Alaska Airlines runs the Seattle-Anchorage-Cordova-Juneau-Seattle milk run), and the PNH crew picks you up in Expeditions for the quick drive through town. It's an awesome feeling to wake up to the sound of the helis firing up and your radio crackling to life with a bluebird wakeup call.

We'd go back in a heartbeat if we could. Young kids, knee surgeries, and jobs keep getting in the way. Go now - you won't regret it.

Also interested in this topic:

2 things I'm most interested in is who fly's the most (locational differences leading to slightly better weather? ARL claims blue hole, etc) and what are the different refund or credit policies for when you don't fly. Thanks all for the info.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Also interested in this topic:

2 things I'm most interested in is who fly's the most (locational differences leading to slightly better weather? ARL claims blue hole, etc) and what are the different refund or credit policies for when you don't fly. Thanks all for the info.
    Going to Alaska is a gamble, no matter who you choose. The "blue hole" thing has to be a myth - if it's always sunny, when does it snow? Some weeks you'll fly 5 days (we did). Some weeks you'll be bored to tears watching the storm rage outside. If you want to guarantee some flying, go for two or three consecutive weeks, and towards the end of the season when the storms are (or perhaps historically have been) less frequent and less severe.

In 2011, the PNH refund policy was half credit for Hobbs hours for any unused. We ended up going over our Hobbs time by a little under an hour, but weren't charged extra.

Choosing AK heli ski op

The best advise Reggie Crist provided is "buy travel insurance". I have went up and flown with Stellar/ Seaba the last two years out of Haines.
    Spent a total of 20 days there and skied a total of 6 half days, 27 runs I think. Both years I have filed insurance claims and have received a chunk of money back.
    The weather game sure can drain ya.
    PM me if you want to chat about more details.
    With all of that said take the gamble and have your mind blown if you get lucky!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471992011.248059.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	598.4 KB 
ID:	186664

Solid advice on travel insurance. We had a cheap policy with Travel Guard ($100, I think). We couldn't fly home at the end of the week for a day because of high winds. Travel insurance picked up extra lodging, food, and transportation costs.

plenty of threads if you search. I would seriously consider elevation in making a decision. an extra thousand feet helps with the warm winters we have been having. I think PNH has the nicest base of any of the operations. Have not been to Tordillo. Also daily jet service can save you two days over Haines if you have a tight schedule. Travel insurance is a great tip had no idea. As for the blue hole. Yes some places may have some better weather. You may also have the PWL that stays around all season. It's all about the weather. Come in warm and wet and leave cold. That blue sky sunny shit does not do much for the big lines.
    off your knees Louie

Choosing AK heli ski op

Definitely get travel insurance. Money back guarantee is worth the extra $100 per day. Make sure the op will work with you on this. Also, most ops near Valdez fly to the same terrain. Lots of marketing goes into saying otherwise. That said, it the conditions are good and the guide/owners trust your group, you'll get the goods no matter what. Its definitely most about conditions and the relationship you build. Less about which op you pick. With conditions its a gamble. Prepare to do it for a few years for it to even all out to a good steady experience.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 08-23-2016 at 10:17 PM.

^^^^ Is it the norm to ski totally tracked lines on a heli op.? Seems like the opposite of why you would want to fly for turns. I know you access killer terrain, plenty of inbounds stuff at some resorts look like the pic, but jeez.

Choosing AK heli ski op

Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Nevermind
    No go on. Serious question.

I think Lindahl is politely trying to say that your expectations aren't in line with reality.

If your crew is comprised of truly rad skiers, you might be the first group that gets dropped off, or get to ski stuff that the rest of the operator's clients don't get to ski. But the law of average dentist skiing ability, conditions, and the need to actually pay for jet fuel and fly efficiently means that there will be some pow farming no matter who you go with or where you go.

Most AK operators fly smaller helicopters with 4-6 skiers in each drop. But even if it's just your crew, a smaller face will be tracked unless you're the lead skier (which is sometimes the guide). And if your crew isn't the hardest charging and first out the door in the morning to the heli, you probably are going to be dropped second or third on each peak a couple times, which means anywhere from 4-12 skiers have gone before you.

At the end of the day, AK is so big, and the mountains are so large, that it really doesn't matter that much. If you hit it just right and the snow is all time, you won't care. Perhaps withhold judgment until you've gone and experienced it.

Choosing AK heli ski op

Which is precisely why I asked, having never been. I wasn't judging, making a simple observation is all. Hoping to put together a trip in the near future and that pics shows a totally thrashed line, which was a little disappointing. A few companies I have contacted gave the impression of very little traffic and the ability to spread skiers out so everyone has clean shots at lines. Thanks for the response.

I have been going with SEABA in Haines the last two years. I have stayed a total of 28 days and it have netted me a total of 12 days of skiing and probably somewhere around 80 runs. As it's the only heli-op I have been going with, the experience is a bit limited. But I only have good things to say about the crew there.

What you will have to realize is that you don't show up and are dropped of to ski spines like you see in a movie. If they don't know you, you will start out at fairly easy terrain and the guide will move you trough more interesting/steeper terrain as group dynamics, conditions allow, until he/she believes you are up to safe ability level. As others have said, I think you will greatly benefit from showing up several years in a row as you get to know the guides etc.

You can have a look at what kind of terrain my first time AK skiing experience yielded here.

Last edited by LiveLarger; 08-24-2016 at 08:01 AM.

BOOM!!

So, has anybody not had a great time skiing in AK? Sounds like it's tough to go wrong when choosing a heli operation.

Maybe the more appropriate question is, which operation has the best down day policy/fun stuff to do when you aren't skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    So, has anybody not had a great time skiing in AK? Sounds like it's tough to go wrong when choosing a heli operation.

Maybe the more appropriate question is, which operation has the best down day policy/fun stuff to do when you aren't skiing?
    I've had great days and shitty days, it's the nature of the business.
    It's pretty hard to beat CPG for accessibility, with a nice ski resort right there. But don't get the guaranteed cat backup. There are days the resort is better.

I'm actually very surprised an Insurance company would cover down time on a heli trip. Anyone care to add details?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    that pics shows a totally thrashed line
    Hah. Ski at Squaw a couple times. The patrollers nuke the runs harder than that pre-opening on a powder day. (not saying they shouldn't; just that our expectations for "fresh" lines may be different)

I had a good time with SEABA too. Being a "strong skier" means a very different thing there than it does at your resort. I went feeling the most confident and fit I've ever felt and was deeply humbled. Hope to go back someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Hah. Ski at Squaw a couple times. The patrollers nuke the runs harder than that pre-opening on a powder day. (not saying they shouldn't; just that our expectations for "fresh" lines may be different)
    Had a few season passes to squaw back in the day and have skied there a bit since I escaped Cali long ago. The pic I referenced was well skied out. Still looks like a great pitch though. I would love to stand on that line with a stiff 108 underfoot ski.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Had a few season passes to squaw back in the day and have skied there a bit since I escaped Cali long ago. The pic I referenced was well skied out. Still looks like a great pitch though. I would love to stand on that line with a stiff 108 underfoot ski.
    The pass prices dropped to $500-$900, so the whole bay area skis up there now. Regular weekend load is in the 12,000-15,000 skier range. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years.

And you'll want something bigger than 108 if the snow is right. I brought Kuros and didn't regret it.