Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Any Fernie mags? Spending the season down there looking for some partners for all or any aspects of skiing. touring, hill, sleds. Whatever your into, show me your stash

I'll probably be down in elkford a bit through it the winter if they get it this year. The are some mighty fine sled and access touring lines i have my eyes on. I'll let you know if I'm down there

Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    Les and Krys who own it are great people so I imagine it is a good spot!
    We are booked in there. Thanks for the tip DougW!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Any Fernie mags? Spending the season down there looking for some partners for all or any aspects of skiing. touring, hill, sleds. Whatever your into, show me your stash

Gwat is in fernie, and waxman is at Guides hut.

skibee and I have the rocky mountain passport, so will be down a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    I'll probably be down in elkford a bit through it the winter if they get it this year. The are some mighty fine sled and access touring lines i have my eyes on. I'll let you know if I'm down there
    That would be awesome always wanted to explore Elkford.

Mntlion- make sure to give me a shout if your coming down. Won't be around full time but should be there a good part of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    If you're into hitting the Alberta side, I tour Waterton a bunch & have eyes on a couple of cool lines out in the Castle area.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    If you're into hitting the Alberta side, I tour Waterton a bunch & have eyes on a couple of cool lines out in the Castle area.
    yes- most definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballydesmond View Post
    Heading to Banff next week but currently in Vancouver where there seems to be lots of good sales on ski equipment.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to wait and try and buy second hand skis etc at the banff swap? What sort of selection is there?
    You could check Higher Ground on your way through Golden. A fair bit of second hand gear with some good touring set ups thrown in the mix.

You can also check Golden classifieds on Facebook.

Golden ski swap isn't until Nov 5.

Just a word to the wise if you still there on the morning of the 14th don't , I mean DON'T , take any children across the road to the farm with cattle. Unless they want to grow up to be butchers, surgeons or Dexter.

By that date the Kocanee run should be petering out but there still should be some in the river and still a fair number of eagles .

edit- take your bear spray when going down to river as not just the eagles like fish. And don't get lost on the short hike as I might not be around to "save" one of Les' guests who got lost down by the river.
    Last edited by DougW; 10-18-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballydesmond View Post
    Heading to Banff next week but currently in Vancouver where there seems to be lots of good sales on ski equipment.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to wait and try and buy second hand skis etc at the banff swap? What sort of selection is there?
    One thing to look for might be the higher end demo skis from resorts. I picked up a pair of Rossi Pursuit 700's in 184 cm two weeks ago at the Panorama ski shop. Many of these will end up in swaps as well. I demoed this exact pair last spring and they were a blast for the hard snow cruising you do 2/3rds of the time at Pano. Bases are perfect, no edge Knicks and only need a light tune and wax. Came with a set of rental bindings, so really easy to adjust. They threw in a free pre-season tune. 1100 worth of gear new, $400 to me.

Anyone want to buy a pair of Volkl TigerSharks in 177? I make a good deal.

I was working the BAR swap when my kids were in the program and grabbed a pair of Atomic SL9-11's in 167. Ooohhhh myyyyyyy, the most fun on hardback ever. Ripped twin esses all day long. A very sad day when a kid tuning them sacrificed one ski to save himself when his apron was caught in the grinder. Totalled the ski. The other went to the Kicking Horse adaptive ski program. I got a pair of Volkl Mantra's in compensation. Still my all mountain rig today.

Long story, but lots of places to get quality gear at reasonable prices with a little wear and tear, but largely in awesome condition.

But I make good price on the TigerSharks, unless my son takes them off me.....
    Using Tapatalk

Made some turns in the HIghwood yesterday. Pretty acceptable for October where I come from. Not crowded. Happy to get day one out of the way, ecstatic to be in the mountains again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161022_113618 (2)a.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	190840

Name:	20161022_133702b.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	190841

Name:	20161022_110113a.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	691.2 KB 
ID:	190839
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

i am very jeal -- <clears throat> -- HAPPY for you, gary! have a great and safe season.

Haha. No worries mate, I'll make some turns for you dude. Physio hard brother!

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Just a word to the wise if you still there on the morning of the 14th don't , I mean DON'T , take any children across the road to the farm with cattle. Unless they want to grow up to be butchers, surgeons or Dexter.

By that date the Kocanee run should be petering out but there still should be some in the river and still a fair number of eagles .

edit- take your bear spray when going down to river as not just the eagles like fish. And don't get lost on the short hike as I might not be around to "save" one of Les' guests who got lost down by the river.
    Won't be there on the 14th, but tell me more about the Kokanee run. What's the best way to hook them up on flies?

Sounds like a great place to check out. Really looking forward to it.

Can't fish for Kokanee during the run and they are really small. But bigger fish come along for the run to eat them, I think Bull trout.

The Kokanee look like miniature sockeye , 12" long , and during run are bright red and green, any eddy along the river you can see 10 -20 . River is 10 minute walk from where you are staying.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Can't fish for Kokanee during the run and they are really small. But bigger fish come along for the run to eat them, I think Bull trout.

The Kokanee look like miniature sockeye , 12" long , and during run are bright red and green, any eddy along the river you can see 10 -20 . River is 10 minute walk from where you are staying.
    Right. Sorry early morning post was out of touch, lol. Got it figured out now. Will aim for Bull trout on egg patterns and see what happens.

If targeting bull trout is legal then try some big streamers too. They love eating small fish.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    If targeting bull trout is legal then try some big streamers too. They love eating small fish.
    I will check the regs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    I will check the regs. Thanks.
    Whoops. Didn't mean it may not be legal. I'm just a clueless lower 48 guy that lurks in the CA threads cuz they have cooler pictures. I have no idea on regs up there but am programmed to be cautious about fishing for bulls since that is how Washington is.

All good. I'm just a clueless interior BC guy, so I'd best check. Always prudent if you are fishing somewhere new. There are lots of seasonal and local closures and restrictions.

They are currently trying to build the highway around the rockslide west of Field. In this Hail Mary attempt, they are going to try and have one lane alternating traffic by Thursday evening and leave the bulk of the debris until spring.

It's somewhat amusing watching the truck drivers, who have little experience, navigate the bridge through Golden over the KHo river. It is also a breath of fresh air watching the good drivers navigate through without issue or having to wait for oncoming traffic to cease.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    They are currently trying to build the highway around the rockslide west of Field. In this Hail Mary attempt, they are going to try and have one lane alternating traffic by Thursday evening and leave the bulk of the debris until spring.

It's somewhat amusing watching the truck drivers, who have little experience, navigate the bridge through Golden over the KHo river. It is also a breath of fresh air watching the good drivers navigate through without issue or having to wait for oncoming traffic to cease.
    crap, how big is this rock slide? sounds like a LOT more then dust on the road...

and its between field and LL?

Pictures that I saw showed a backhoe buried, with just part of the cab and the arm visible. And it wasn't small rocks either. Large car-sized boulders.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

well, that might take a while to clean up

Supposed to open for alternating traffic later tonight.