Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Nice work spooky and mntlion- sick shit.
    Im sure there has been a few thru those zones but far and few, most memorable for me is Geoff Small to do the top portion in the Export A comp, after the main top (climbers right in your red after the main entrance, steep and ultra gnar) and only tracks Ive ever seen thru that section. Never really enough sticky snow to go in there. The bottom part of your line where u worked climber right/back left and then right is similar to Frenchy Robin Courcelle in one of those comps. Kevin, me and one other I'm aware of has worked that spine above your entrance top to bottom and then exited the no-way out thru the bottom. Younger and dumber back then although I'd love to have the opportunity to go ski it if I had a comp ticket but sunshine doesn't really care about skiing propoganda or pushing the level skiing at there resort just british tourism....
    That's fascinating history, thanks.

Incidentally (and I could be wrong) but I'm pretty sure it was your line out of Rocket Pocket in the 2001-2002 season that sparked my obsession with stupid, scary lines. I was 18 and on my first ski season and me and my boss spotted some exit tracks on the fan and it took us ages to figure out where the fuck they came from. Then that video TGR video popped up at some point to confirm the actual line. At the time it blew my mind that anyone would consider that skiable terrain.

PS. I was a British kid on a gap year at the time, trying to figure out what all this skiing on snow business was about...

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what prompted that?
    What mntlion said. Milky Way is also always thinner than the other areas, gets more sun and is basically a big start zone, so all of those factors along with the very close call with that big slide when it was open have spooked management into closing it. The downside for patrol of course is that Cream gets much less skier compaction and the red tape for patrol even getting there to do control work is much greater which makes managing that overhead for the Fatboy traverse that much harder.

Holy big balls mntion and Spooky. Nicely done.

What an incredible week for late April, I totally had a blast.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

thanks TD:

I was sure that someone is dumber then me, and had been in that before

Jesus that is a sick line. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Here are two shots from the same section - mntlion's perspective and then mine. This sketchly little ramp felt like the biggest crux for me, massive exposure below.

Attachment 205542

Attachment 205541
    Trampoline city! Boner terrain right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    That's fascinating history, thanks.

Incidentally (and I could be wrong) but I'm pretty sure it was your line out of Rocket Pocket in the 2001-2002 season that sparked my obsession with stupid, scary lines. I was 18 and on my first ski season and me and my boss spotted some exit tracks on the fan and it took us ages to figure out where the fuck they came from. Then that video TGR video popped up at some point to confirm the actual line. At the time it blew my mind that anyone would consider that skiable terrain.

PS. I was a British kid on a gap year at the time, trying to figure out what all this skiing on snow business was about...
    Im happy to hear I inspired you!

^heh I remember that line. I'd show my friends the vid and say "I bought my Armo's from that guy"

I threw a TR/pile of photos up in the trip report forum with some rockies and area spring stoke.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-TR-Photo-Dump

Nice work spooky and mntlion- sick shit.
    Im sure there has been a few thru those zones but far and few, most memorable for me is Geoff Small to do the top portion in the Export A comp, after the main top (climbers right in your red after the main entrance, steep and ultra gnar) and only tracks Ive ever seen thru that section. Never really enough sticky snow to go in there. The bottom part of your line where u worked climber right/back left and then right is similar to Frenchy Robin Courcelle in one of those comps. Kevin, me and one other I'm aware of has worked that spine above your entrance top to bottom and then exited the no-way out thru the bottom. Younger and dumber back then although I'd love to have the opportunity to go ski it if I had a comp ticket but sunshine doesn't really care about skiing propoganda or pushing the level skiing at there resort just british tourism....
    Shit , I care enough about pushing the level to buy your ticket next year and watch the show from bellow while I sip on some lagers.

Sick skiing mntlion and spooky! Wow.

I also remember the teamdirt Rocket Pocket vid back in the Biglines days I think. Cool to read about folks skiing that stuff back in the old comp days.

spooky needs to get his shit together and edit the video.

might be some good views and one-liners

The best part of that line was when it came over the radio that there was a "gnarly looking sidestep" up there.

The dive opened today for a few hours, and was pretty good at that. I'm not really sure that anyone besides patrol skied in there, though.

Name:  20170518_104121_zpsv8zsixoo.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  92.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    The best part of that line was when it came over the radio that there was a "gnarly looking sidestep" up there.

[/ATTACH]
    That's gold! Nice work Spooky and mttnlion. I did finally get to ski the dive a couple of weeks back. It was very good, and worth the 37 year wait.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Couple of Coast Mountain kids looking for some beta on the conditions of some of the classic couloirs around Lake Louise. Looking at the forecast its calling for a bunch of snow up high thru the next weekend. Would just after the storms, once the snow has settled, generally be a good time to hit them up? Anything else we should know?
    Some stoke from our last adventure, Currie - Wedge traverse with an ascent of the classice NE arete of wedge.
    We were originally planning on skiing hopefully the North face of Weart and The Owls couloirs, but some fresh snow and rapid warming scared us off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632[1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	206655
    Gutted to be walking right by these and not being able to ski them

Name:	IMG_0637[1].jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	206658
    Heading up the arete

Name:	IMG_0678[1].jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	700.9 KB 
ID:	206659

If you don't get any beta here, try backcountry yyc FB page.
    Just looking at some government snow plot info I see Skoki Lodge plot has 2.9m snow pack; Little Elbow Summit plot is 4.8m.
    That sounds high, but what do I know?
    Good luck!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    If you don't get any beta here, try backcountry yyc FB page.
    Just looking at some government snow plot info I see Skoki Lodge plot has 2.9m snow pack; Little Elbow Summit plot is 4.8m.
    That sounds high, but what do I know?
    Good luck!
    That fb group is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks Gary!

Melt freeze is good right now above 2700m. Stability doesn't seem to be breaking down to quickly. Ongoing analysis needed. That's my report from this weekend. Lines have a skiff of fresh mixed with ice- a bit of edge chatter and of course some wet slides and overhead danger depending on aspect. Lots of rock Instability movement as of late.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 05-23-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Melt freeze is good right now above 2700m. Stability doesn't seem to be breaking down to quickly. Ongoing analysis needed. That's my report from this weekend. Lines have a skiff of fresh mixed with ice- a bit of edge chatter and of course some wet slides and overhead danger depending on aspect. Lots of rock Instability movement as of late.
    Thanks bud.

On Sunday May 21, a young skier from Revelstoke ascended Mt. Robson via the Kain Face, and then skied the North Face of Mt. Robson. The third person in history to do so, and it's been close to 25 years since Ptor and Troy did it.

Pure Badass.

What is this young skiers name?

Yes curious also. That is badass. Wonder how the bergshrund exit was? I thought that was the thing keeping it from getting skied, besides being huge and steep

Dylan Cunningham, somewhat of Revelstoke, often found killing it somewhere. I was up at Berg just backpacking and saw the track and then him and his bros walking out. His two buds skied top to bottom via Kain Face, no easy task, but young Mr. Cunninghams ski is one for the history books.

Sick

Props to the young stud. That's burly.

www.mymountaincoop.ca