School me on the Wallowas (or?)

Wife and I have a family function in the fine (if flat and dry) town of Walla Walla and we hope to sneak off for some riding for one day. Anyone actually biked from the tram at Wallowa Lake? Is it worthwhile?

Anything else in the corner of WA/OR/ID area we should hit instead? Something good in the Kennewick area? That seems like a long shot, but open to suggestions as that might be an easier drive. This is coming up in a couple of weeks. TIA

Southern Elkhorn & Wagon Road trails are pretty good.
    Yes you can ride off the tram - mostly a double track downhill.
    If you are going to Kenniwick, have access to flat water yaks and can do 10 miles in one day, consider paddling the Hanford Reach

There is a fun trail network on Mt Emily in La Grande. I rode there often in college.

I'll echo the Hanford Reach and drinking tons of wine. And there's this, Joseph Railway, something I'd love to do more with my parents, but could be kind of cool. One more, if you do end up in Enterprise, go to Terminal Gravity.

Those are some cool suggestions. Pedal-powered rail cars sound like something I'd take my parents on, too. Not sure if my wife is as keen, but I think that's great. Unfortunately no kayaks coming along, we're bringing bikes to cruise around with family when we're in WW, so figured it might be easy to hit up something more our speed on the way in or out. I'll look into MERA and Terminal Gravity. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Those are some cool suggestions. Pedal-powered rail cars sound like something I'd take my parents on, too. Not sure if my wife is as keen, but I think that's great. Unfortunately no kayaks coming along, we're bringing bikes to cruise around with family when we're in WW, so figured it might be easy to hit up something more our speed on the way in or out. I'll look into MERA and Terminal Gravity. Thanks!
    I rode MERA a ton the 2 years I lived out there and never got tired of it. I built some sweet berms because the old dudes at the trail days didn't think berms were necessary. Also I endorse going to Terminal Gravity in Joseph. If you're in Baker City Barley Jacks is excellent as well.

Slightly to very OT WW. Bozeman and its growth is starting to depress me.

How is that as a livable area?

Sounds like good riding, some good lift access and touring. Main concern is heat. Are summers a scorch fest?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^Paging KQ...

I think the road bike riding is better around Wally World, but:
    http://bluemountainstc.org/trails.shtml
    http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...ol-trails.html
    Local shop: http://www.bicyclebarn.com
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Slightly to very OT WW. Bozeman and its growth is starting to depress me.

How is that as a livable area?

Sounds like good riding, some good lift access and touring. Main concern is heat. Are summers a scorch fest?
    Are you asking about Walla Walla? I try to block the memory of most of the years I lived there (and it's been a while so it's getting easier) but I'd say, yes, summers are a scorch fest. And getting to water always seemed like a PITA. And +1 to better road than mountain. But the Wallowas or the Blue Mountains ought to be a whole different thing.

North Fork of Walla Walla River is a good option if you don't mind needing to have a day to ride. Otherwise not a whole lot right in Walla Walla itself other than the little reservoir east of town that you can make loops out of any way you see fit.

Nope, more around Baker City, Le Grande.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"