Taos, NM > Bellingham, WA: a road trip with some stoke

Taos Ski Valley is a special place. I lived there for 8 months in an 8x12 shack, shoveled a lot of snow, toured from my door, skied bumps and tasted a lot high elevation NM powder. I found gainful employment as a carpenter but soon started missing the volcanoes, trees and the N. Cascades. This is a TR of my return to Cascadia and I hope you all enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471616222.736299.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	186436

Stoke-Mobile packed and ready to go. First leg of the trip was a short one all the way down to Santa Fe to see my friend, Sally and have dinner. Good times indeed and she sent me off with a few contacts to ride with in Flagstaff.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471616709.511945.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	965.1 KB 
ID:	186438

Rolled in to Flag around 6pm. Bummed around town for a bit then headed NW of town and found some free camping (view from my truck above). It had been raining a bit in the area so I was pretty stoked on the next day of riding. Linked up with Nick around 9am and rode all around for about 4 hours in the rain. Nick used to coach kids mtb so as a complete kook I was stoked to pick up some pointers and chase him around. Rad day in Flagstaff for sure; it was one of the first places I visited out west so I was stoked to check it out again and ride some bikes.

Decided to carry on and head West:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471617049.201149.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	714.3 KB 
ID:	186439

Stopped for gas here and was solicited a bit but decided an alien themed sexual encounter wasn't really in the budget.

Fell asleep under clear skies just outside Bridgeport, CA. Tons of shooting stars and it felt good to be back in the Eastern Sierras. Walking really wasn't part of the plan but I was stoked to revisit one of the areas that first got me stoked on moving west.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471617606.114751.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	877.2 KB 
ID:	186441

Hiking around Twin Lakes and swimming in the cold rivers felt really good.

Never been to Tahoe and wanted to check it out. Pretty rad spot but holy fuck there were a ton of people there. Found a FS road a bit outside of S Lake Tahoe for some primo truck top solitude. Thanks NW_SKIER for a left behind ham and eggs breakfast!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471617931.384351.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	902.4 KB 
ID:	186442

Next notable spot on MTB Project was Susanville, CA. Rad spot for sure. Pedaled solo and enjoyed the trails at Susanville Ranch Park. Didn't see a soul and enjoyed the well maintained single track.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471618204.028580.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	186443

Next stop: Shasta. It's been on my hit list for a bit. I'd been doing some planning and looking at the HW route for a bit (plug for Amar's website skimountaineer.com). Rolling up to the trailhead I was real stoked on getting some solo time back up on the volcanoes. Not the case. Ran into Amar, Cam, Silas, Cliff and other skiers from SF and Portland. We all skinned up together playing leap frog up the glacier. I was hoping my living at high elevation would be a huge advantage and I'd be able to crush the climb. Not even close I was sluggish and got my ass kicked all day. 7k climbing was something I hadn't done in a long time. Thanks for the encouragement guys! Dropped off the summit around 4:20 for the refreezing corn. Fucking stoked on this descent still. Primo skimo for sure. Fast, smooth conditions that really let you open it up.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471618883.401285.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	186448

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471618922.329039.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	186449

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471618953.265114.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	186450

Headed to the coast for the Fourth, did a small bike loop which I forget what it was called then headed North to Portland.

The next 4 days I spent proudly hand-building skis in Portland, OR. Really good to check out the new machines, get some work in and hang out with the most passionate dudes in the business.

Up to Seattle to catch up with old time ski friends for the weekend.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471619598.940111.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	186451

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471619627.357433.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	938.4 KB 
ID:	186452

Arrived in Bellingham Sunday went to work Monday. That night moved into a house 20 second pedal from Galbraith trails. If you're in town hit me up and come ride bikes.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471619768.620032.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	186453

Right on! Welcome back.

Nice to see the PI getting some love.

Looks like a fun trip. Speaking of the PI, hope it survives the stone way metamorphosis.

What street did you move to? Have any couch/closet space for rent to a ski bum trying to base in town this winter? I'm a small dude but have the occasional loud, tantric-yoga sessions. Guaranteed to invite you if they have friends.

In all seriousness, welcome (back?) to mecca

Rad! How do you know Bissell?

That guy is one hell of a skier.

He showed me the ropes my first day on the backside of Targhee hucking off the rocks.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

welcome back!

Good running into you at Shasta. That was a sweet time. Hit me up if you're looking for a touring buddy.
    -Kam

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Rad! How do you know Bissell?

That guy is one hell of a skier.

He showed me the ropes my first day on the backside of Targhee hucking off the rocks.
    We worked together in Seattle for a few years. He's by far given me the most stoke of anyone I've ever crossed paths with. Unfortunately we haven't skied together, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kamdh View Post
    Good running into you at Shasta. That was a sweet time. Hit me up if you're looking for a touring buddy.
    -Kam
    Totally. Back in Taos so if you find yourself in the SW look me up for either bikes or skis.

Hail Taos!