Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colorado Lawyer?

I thought DD had a similar issue of speeding in CO, or maybe it was just for ducking ropes and not speeding? Search didn't show anything.

Anyways I got a hefty speeding ticket in Colorado, outside Eldrege on the way to Montrose last week. I haven't got a speeding ticket since I was much younger so I'm clueless on what to do. The cop reduced my speed over the limit to 24 over so I don't have to show up in court, is the good news. My guess is I should hire a CO lawyer and hope the cop doesn't show up, or at least get a reduction thanks to the lawyer?

How much would a lawyer cost usually, and any recommendations on who to hire in CO? I live in Utah.

I have Progressive Insurance, any experience with rates going up with them after one big ticket and years of nothing?

PM Rontele

Does Colorado have traffic school? If so, pay the ticket, do traffic school to get it off your record.
    The cop did you a favor; if you make him come to court you might be looking at a bigger ticket, reckless driving, etc, etc.
    And slow down. At least in CA traffic school is a one time option for a period of time, and two speeding tickets will really screw up your insurance rates.

Call a lawyer in the county and see if they can get you a diversion.

If you pay early does it reduce the level? I got one a while back in Englewood and since I paid it by a certain date it went from 4 points to 2. Didn't impact my insurance at all. With your record you should be good also.
    The Sheriff is near!

Don't pay it. Fuck em. Wisconsin has wantedto me for speeding for a decade. For a while MN was not giving me a license card, even though I was licensed to drive. I carried passport for like 5 years until finally the DMV called head office and they were like f Wisconsin give this guy a license

Bureaucracies eventually break down and give in when they run out of tools
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    If you pay early does it reduce the level? I got one a while back in Englewood and since I paid it by a certain date it went from 4 points to 2. Didn't impact my insurance at all. With your record you should be good also.
    every ticket I have had in Colorado (a few over the years) had that early pay option. Which is really the best way to go, fuck paying a lawyer.

OP, only go the lawyer route if you're in danger of losing your license/job and need to get this dismissed. Otherwise, just pay it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You might show up on the day of court and you can ask to talk to the DA and cut a deal to plead and reduce the violation if the points or something are an issue, otherwise just pay it and move on.

I've gotten more than my share of speeding tickets around CO. The officer did you a favor by reducing the speed so it's not a mandatory court appearance. Just pay the fine. If you don't live near the court then you'll waste a day only to get small reduction in the fine at best. My insurance went up about $25 for the same infraction as yours

Is the ticket written into a county court or a municipal court? Call the clerk of court, be polite, ask if there is an option for a deferred judgment and sentence. Or a slightly better point reduction (2 will be auto if you mail it in before it hits the court). DA doesn't handle that type of ticket.

I recently got a speeding ticket in New York which I haven't had in 11 years.
    Mine was 21 over and I didn't hire a lawyer this time.

Last speeding ticket I had (this one was in Texas), lawyer didn't do much.
    I end up going to the court and settled with the prosecutor.
    (that one was... 98mph at 55mph)

If I were you, I'll go to the court which they'll most likely drop the charge in half,
    do a defensive driving class (or point reduction class) and stay out of trouble for 18 months (or how long ever the points last on your record).

Good luck!
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 08-18-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks guys. Just as a reminder, I live in Utah, 350 miles away, so going to court or traffic school in CO is my last choice.

I'll look at the ticket tonight and consider my options based on your guys advice and then decide whos boots I need to lick.

Guess what, anybody's experience in another state or another time means fuck all!

In Colorado, misdemeanor traffic offenses are handled in Traffic Court. Last I heard, the cop doesn't even have to show to testify. By simply paying your ticket, you are "pleading guilty" and your fine MAY be less than if you go to court and have to pay court costs etc. If for some reason your think you are not guilty, consider the lawyer route...I guess.

Short story - pay the ticket, slow the fuck down

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Thanks guys. Just as a reminder, I live in Utah, 350 miles away, so going to court or traffic school in CO is my last choice.

I'll look at the ticket tonight and consider my options based on your guys advice and then decide whos boots I need to lick.
    You might still want to take defensive class online to minimize your insurance premium increase.
    (or even point reduction which I don't know the relation between CO and UT)
    Just make sure to find a point reduction program through whichever state DMV you want to apply.
    It's a 6 hour (horrible, but few funny moments) class and you have to check in via calls after each unit to make sure it's you who's taking it.
    Price varies, but normally around $25ish.
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 08-18-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Don't pay it. Fuck em. Wisconsin has wantedto me for speeding for a decade. For a while MN was not giving me a license card, even though I was licensed to drive. I carried passport for like 5 years until finally the DMV called head office and they were like f Wisconsin give this guy a license

Bureaucracies eventually break down and give in when they run out of tools
    who needs a lawyer when you can get free legal advice from DD.

accolades like this are all the payment i need

take note steve, you could have been GREAT
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

It's a speeding ticket. You're 350 miles away. You don't have to appear (thanks to the cop), and your insurance shouldn't be affected. Just pay it and move on. You'll want to avoid any more tickets for at least three years or your insurance could be impacted. The cost of a lawyer would likely either be greater than the fine or, at least close to it. Why bother?

I'm reversing myself. Listen to DD. Stick it to the man. Don't pay. Fight the power.Don't show up. When you get stopped again in CO and they throw you in jail for failing to appear, write a great jailhouse classic like "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" or "Mein Kampf" (that should pretty well cover the political spectrum).

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Short story - pay the ticket, slow the fuck down
    ^ This
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you pay the fine it WILL be reported to your insurance company. If this is a first ticket that should not be an issue. If it's the 3rd or 5th, or it's the first in a string of many, it might raise your rates.

I would suggest calling the court and asking if there is a way to defer the ticket or a way to amend it to a non-moving. Some jurisdictions allow the court clerk to do this, other jurisdictions will refer you to the prosecuting attorney's office. If you call the prosecutor, ask the same thing, defer or amend to non-moving.

I bought a car across country one time, a buddy and I drove it back. We were driving through Blue Earth, MN and got pulled over, my buddy got a ticket. It took me about 6 months or reach the prosecutor, if I called in the morning, an elderly lady would answer and advise me that the prosecutor was in court. If I called in the afternoon, the phone would ring and ring. No answering service or recording. Finally, I was able to secure a 6 month deferral. Since neither my buddy or I have ever been to MN since (or before) he was able to get that ticket dismissed

sorry gang but if you had just gotten yourself some spectacular breasts you could have avoided all of this from the get go
    skid luxury

^^^ pics needed.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Do the crime, pay the fine. Slow the fuck down.

Still shaking my head at Nutmegchoi going 100mph anywhere in the US, much less in a 55. That's just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Do the crime, pay the fine. Slow the fuck down.

Still shaking my head at Nutmegchoi going 100mph anywhere in the US, much less in a 55. That's just plain stupid.
    2005, in the middle of nowhere backroad in Waller County, Texas.
    Me and two other guys (NASA engineers) were on motorcycles riding straight away, no cars and we could see miles away.
    State trooper came from the opposite direction and U turned to pull us over.
    We all pulled over, license, insurance and registration in hand.
    No attitude, didn't say a word other than answering questions and I was the only one who got the ticket (I was riding in the middle of the pack??)
    Lady state trooper really didn't like me and threatened me to put me in jail, but she got a call and had to go.

The prosecutor happened to be a rider as well.
    We hit it off, talked about motorcycle for 30 minutes and he got me off the hook.
    2 year probation in Waller county, no record, pay ticket and court fee of $680.

Yeah, I was stupid and got lucky.

That was the last speeding ticket I had over a decade til last year.