Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Three Solo Tours in The Eastern Sierra

Yesterday, I was lamenting the lack of TRs on TGR. Not that my shit is all that TR-worthy, but for the past few years I've mainly just posted photos on the Tahoe and Eastern Sierra threads. (By the way, if you never visited the Eastern Sierra thread, you're missing out.) Anyhow, in effort to contribute, I've made a few posts from the Eastside thread into TRs here. All are solo tours I did in the Eastern Sierra: (1) Mt. Ritter, (2) Mt. Goethe, and (3) Mt. Lyell. Nothing too fancy.

Mt. Ritter (March 18-20)

As a 40th birthday gift to myself, I ditched family and friends and spent a couple nights alone in the Ansel Adams wilderness with the goal of skiing Mt. Ritter, which along with Mt. Banner, is one of the most recognizable mountains in the Eastern Sierra. Although the trail literally begins at Mammoth Mountain, it doesn't get skied that often because it's a 10-mile slog in. During my three days there, I ran into a skier and splitboarder at the summit, but that's it.

Unfortunately, I didn't get an opportunity to ski Mt. Banner as I had originally planned because I hit a suicidal deer on the drive from Tahoe, destroying my radiator (and the poor deer) and causing a late start. By the time I reached Mammoth, my truck was overheating every quarter of a mile, so I parked it at a sledding area and caught a bus to the trailhead. After the tour, I came back to a busted truck, which I had towed and repaired in Mammoth Lakes the next day.

Ritter and Banner are the two peaks on the right side. The Minarets, which also have great skiing, are in the middle.

Lots of summer ascents in the summit register. Surprisingly, few winter ones.

This guy and his partner did Ritter in a day, which is pretty badass. They started ridiculously early. Incidentally, this slope isn't that steep, but it was firm that day and failing to self-arrest would lead to a 200' death huck. That's why he's got his ice axe out.

Note the large granite semisphere in the middle. Hint: It's the most iconic feature of one of the most famous national parks.

After a number of years, I'm starting to dial in winter camping. Three tips: (1) I take sleep aids or pot or both to help sleep; (2) the pee bottle is disgusting and perilous yet super helpful; and (3) I always try to orientate my tent so that I have a view for breakfast.

Nice view of Ritter's summit decent (just right of center) from below the Minarets.

My poor truck.

Busted truck aside, it was good.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 08-17-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Mt. Goethe (April 2-3)

For this tour, I did 2/3rds of the Glacier Divide/Alpine Col Loop, which is popular summer hike. I wish I had a third day in which I could have banged out Mt. Darwin and the North Couloir of Mt. Lamarck, which would have made an epic three-day ski tour. Instead, I skied an unnamed but excellent couloir on Piute Ridge and the right summit of Mt. Goethe.

The photos are more or less chronological.

Saturday

Piute Ridge and its excellent collection of couloirs from North Lake. The couloirs are probably 40 degrees and seem to be 1500-1800' long.

Here's the couloir I skied, which is massively foreshortened in this photo. The apron was maybe 300-500' and the couloir was 1,000-1,300'.

Lamarck on the right and Darwin peaking in the middle.

Toward South Lake.

Looking down the unnamed couloir, which was excellent in ski quality, snow quality, views, and aethetics.

Loch Leven looking toward Piute Pass.

Mt. Humphreys.

Muriel Lake and Peak.

Mt. Goethe from Goethe Lake. So much gnar. Unfortunately, most of the lines didn't go without a rappel or a super-dodgy cornice entrance. I skied the line on the far right.

Are illuminated tent photos a cliche? I don't care. Anyhow, camp was about 10 miles from my truck in Aspendell.

Sunday

Looking at Darwin, Mendel, and the Hermit.

More mountains. I think Goode is in there somewhere.

I'll be honest. The top was scary. It was steep (maybe 45 degrees), off camber, and firm enough that arresting would be difficult. Also, I was several miles from the nearest human being. If I had a Gopro, you'd see me sideslipping for a few feet followed by a jump turn, a little more sideslipping, another jump turn, and then labored breathing for a half minute or so before repeating. I relaxed a little as it transitioned into soft snow.

Looking toward Lake Sabrina and Picture Peak on the way back to the truck in Aspendell.

Mt Lyell (June 4-5)

Mt. Lyell is the highest mountain in Yosemite and a marshy slog from Toulemne Meadows. I'd guess it was about 12 miles of nearly all dry hiking to my camp spot (just over 10k) and another 1.5 miles from there to the summit. With a heavy pack, it equates to a lot of suffering. But, once I reached my camp, I was the only person around. As much as we complain about crowding in the backcountry, it's pretty awesome that I can say I was the only person on Yosemite's highest mountain that day. Anyhow, I'll let the photos tell the story from here.

Excellent TR. Three great peaks and a spectacular setting. Well played sir! Well played. That was worth reading and I enjoyed the pictures. Sorry about the truck (and the deer).

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Bravo! Makes me want to get off my lazy ass and do something epic! Strong Work!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

AKbruin

Thank you
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

the mt lyell TR is my favorite! Pictures can speak a thousand words and those mosquito pic are gross, ha!

good shit, thanks for sharing, lovin the mid-summer last winter stokage!

Awesome TR. I cringed at those mosquito pics though

Looks like such a cool zone. Thanks for posting, these TRs lately are getting me through this hellish summer!

Great TR! Way to get after it. I like Type II adventures - they help build character.

Strong work and nice seeing the photos a second time around.

Awesome TR - thanks! After starting out amazing in early December, my ski season obviously came to a complete halt in February after the twins were born premature. Great to see some Eastside pictures - this is the first spring/summer in a long time that I didn't get out in the Eastside for some skiing/climbing multi-day trips.

Ritter/Banner have been on my wish-list for years.

Breakfast with a view. Sage advice their sensei. I <heart> the ES. Thanks
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Lots of summer ascents in the summit register. Surprisingly, few winter ones.
    Nice work, AKB. Did you mean to highlight two rock stars in the summit reg?

Tim (Mother Hips): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBg5Nw8YsFc
    Nikki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiCUdLBxuI

Nice dude. Been seeing your LSD runs on Strava and thinking, "AKB's working on that fitness for big ski days."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Nice work, AKB. Did you mean to highlight two rock stars in the summit reg?

Tim (Mother Hips): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBg5Nw8YsFc
    Nikki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiCUdLBxuI
    Ha. I had no idea. I liked that Hall & Oates cover though.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Nice dude. Been seeing your LSD runs on Strava and thinking, "AKB's working on that fitness for big ski days."
    Kind of. I've needed something to fill in the void since I stopped biking much. But I'm finding that running is too hard on the body (or at least my body). One day, I'll be completely fine. The next day I'll have a sudden knee or foot ache that leaves me limping for 48 hours. So . . . climbing seems cool.

It definitely can be. Slower helps. The right shoes can as well.

It's significantly better as a workout than cycling though, assuming you can pull it off. I've been trying to get out on my road bike more and it blows me away how much easier it is as a workout than running. There's a reason that House and Johnston recommend long trail runs as the best way to train for the mountains, and specifically note that cycling isn't even close to the same. The reason I haven't been running as much is only due to my long-term injury/foot biomechanic fuckup-ed-ness issues. Though I'm going to try to go for 4-5 miles at lunch today.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Awesome! Always wanted to visit this area!
    Thanks for sharing!

Awesome. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    It definitely can be. Slower helps. The right shoes can as well.

It's significantly better as a workout than cycling though, assuming you can pull it off. I've been trying to get out on my road bike more and it blows me away how much easier it is as a workout than running. There's a reason that House and Johnston recommend long trail runs as the best way to train for the mountains, and specifically note that cycling isn't even close to the same. The reason I haven't been running as much is only due to my long-term injury/foot biomechanic fuckup-ed-ness issues. Though I'm going to try to go for 4-5 miles at lunch today.
    I can see that. I feel like 1 hour of running generally equals 2 hours of mountain biking. (Obviously, there are exceptions--e.g., 1 hour of pure mtb climbing.)

The foot thing only happened once. Before my last run, I never had any problems. Not sure if it's my shoes yet or just a random, perhaps one-off annoyance.

I'd like to keep some running in my repertoire. I tend to enjoy 60-90 minute sessions once a week or so. But I was considering doing a trail marathon in Ashland this November (Lithia Loop). But I'm probably going to pass. Aside from the injury issues, it's just a huge time commitment. Might just do a half (Incline Flume) in early October instead.

As much as I love road cycling, it pretty much sucks as cross training. Helps with aerobic capacity, but does nothing for trail legs either skiing or hiking/climbing. I still ride a fair amount, but have switch to a lot more running or hill walk/hikes. How people can do things like run up Whitney is beyond me. I just hiked it (mt Muir actually) and was beat at the end, I can't see upping the pace to anything close to a jog, let alone a run.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I can see that. I feel like 1 hour of running generally equals 2 hours of mountain biking. (Obviously, there are exceptions--e.g., 1 hour of pure mtb climbing.)

The foot thing only happened once. Before my last run, I never had any problems. Not sure if it's my shoes yet or just a random, perhaps one-off annoyance.

I'd like to keep some running in my repertoire. I tend to enjoy 60-90 minute sessions once a week or so. But I was considering doing a trail marathon in Ashland this November (Lithia Loop). But I'm probably going to pass. Aside from the injury issues, it's just a huge time commitment. Might just do a half (Incline Flume) in early October instead.
    Yeah, equivalence obviously depends on a lot (hills, how fast you're going, etc.). I'd say an hour of running to me is more like three hours of mountain biking. But totally depends.

I have a friend doing that Flume race as her first back after having a kid. Not a gnarly course if you're living at elevation like you are.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    As much as I love road cycling, it pretty much sucks as cross training. Helps with aerobic capacity, but does nothing for trail legs either skiing or hiking/climbing. I still ride a fair amount, but have switch to a lot more running or hill walk/hikes. How people can do things like run up Whitney is beyond me. I just hiked it (mt Muir actually) and was beat at the end, I can't see upping the pace to anything close to a jog, let alone a run.
    Yep. Exactly. I could see big mountain running back when I was in gnarly XC shape. Pretty hard to fathom now though, for sure.

I completely missed this thread until now. Very, very nice!

Complete with one of those silly hats everyone wears in the Sierra.

^^^ I'd make a joke about season length, but we've been getting screwed one that point lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I completely missed this thread until now. Very, very nice!

Complete with one of those silly hats everyone wears in the Sierra.
    I love my silly hat! If I'm going to be above treeline for 8+ hours and it's over 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I'm definitely rocking it.

Incidentally, the official bro/betty hat of Tahoe is a Bigtruck trucker hat. The silly hat is for those of us with more refined (er, utilitarian) tastes.

Hell yes! Great stuff. I haven't checked in on here in a while. Nice to be greeted by this. All 3 are on my personal tick list.