Backpack recs for scrambling

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for backpacks for scrambling class 3 terrain - for routes like Kelso Ridge on Torreys, the Sawtooth or Crestone Peak (in Colorado). Thanks.

Any daypack that fits and allows you reasonably good freedom of movement. I like the 20-30L range personally (first aid kit, snacks, 3L water, rain jacket, light puffy, windshirt, beanie).

Black Diamond has some packs that have some creative features to aid in freedom of movement, but they don't fit/carry well for me. Nitro 22 or 26 are worth a look.

I personally carry a Gregory Z30 (it's small for a "30L" pack)

My favorite scrambling daypack is a simple nylon pack with a vertical center baffle. No padding or frame. Simple web straps and waist belt. Haul loop and ice ace loop. Fits like a glove, keeps the weight close to the body, super light for packing in a multi-day backpack or suitcase. Problem is, I made it myself. If anyone knows a commercial source I'd love to hear about it. Mine is worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My favorite scrambling daypack is a simple nylon pack with a vertical center baffle. No padding or frame. Simple web straps and waist belt. Haul loop and ice ace loop. Fits like a glove, keeps the weight close to the body, super light for packing in a multi-day backpack or suitcase. Problem is, I made it myself. If anyone knows a commercial source I'd love to hear about it. Mine is worn out.
    The Hyperlite Mountain Gear Summit Pack is just about what you're describing. Not the cheapest pack, but I've been quite happy with mine so far.

Lots of love for the REI Flash, 18l and 22l. pretty cheap and lightweight.

I love my Salomon S-Lab X Alp 20 , it's pretty simple and light and carries well + I like the clean exterior that doesn't hung up when you end up bushwhacking.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Get what fits you and your gear. There are a lot of good packs out there - Arc'teryx, Osprey (I like my Variant), BD, Gregory, Deuter, etc, etc. - but if you try them on with a load, you'll probably find one that fits and carries better for you than the others and that makes all the difference monkeying around in the high country.

Big fan of BD packs for this. Speed 22 and the BBee (if you can go that small) are my choices. They are uber durable in my experience.

I'm rocking an Ospray Tallon 22 for this purpose.
    The most important thing, is that the pack fits you and your body/back. So recommendations here are only worth so-so.. You need to try them on anyway. The Osprey Tallon 22 comes in two sizes, so you may be as lucky as I am!

What I like the most about it (I have the long model and I'm 6'1 long) is how it fits. It also has a mesh with some padding in the back. I didn't really care much for this when I bought it, but it works surprisingly good for ventilation. It feels comfy, really snug and soft. Your hydration pack fits in a separate/outside compartment close to your back and doesn't take up any of the room. Apart from that, it has all the regular stuff like compression straps, several pockets etc. What you would expect to find on any pack.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Have you considered a waist pack? I've done all 3 of those routes with my little golite waist pack and I found that not caring a full sized backpack felt pretty liberating. That said, I really dig my older osprey 18L pack for longer days or times when I need a little more storage capacity. It's very similar to the current Talon 18.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Mammut Nirvana Pro is the Shiz. Best pack I've ever owned.

Backpack recs for scrambling

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Have you considered a waist pack? I've done all 3 of those routes with my little golite waist pack and I found that not caring a full sized backpack felt pretty liberating. That said, I really dig my older osprey 18L pack for longer days or times when I need a little more storage capacity. It's very similar to the current Talon 18.
    Yeah, the small Talons (mine is the 11) with the hipbelt cut off are sweet. The 11 is bigger than it sounds. I can fit a full 16 hour day with weather and safety gear in it.

A lot of these 20-40L packs are better suited to climbing the diamond or backpacking vs an easy scramble. If you are looking to move somewhat quickly, I much prefer the ultra-running vests vs a typical climbing pack. The weight distribution is a lot better (water in front, food all over, jackets in back). I've been playing around a bit this summer on some of the hikes you mentioned. On Kelso ridge yesterday, I just brought a flipbelt with a soft bottle and some cliff blocks, a wind shirt, and a phone. A setup like this is good for up to 2-3 hrs with decent weather and no breaks. On sawtooth I had my full vest, but that was part of a longer ridge walk. I've used the vest on things like kieners, the apostles, ypsilon. I've carried trekking poles, ice axe, spikes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I used to use a waist pack for this type of stuff. When I really loaded it up and needed some stability, I'd wear the shoulder straps it came with. I liked it because it kept the weight on my hips. I'm fairly tall, so I had trouble finding a day pack that wasn't huge that still transferred the weight to my hips.

My current favorite is my Camelback Volt, which has the water stored in a lumbar reservoir. It puts the weight low and is the best fitting pack I've found for moving around. I got it for biking but now I used it for day hikes, scrambling, and even the occasional trail run. It's only 13 liters, so it might be a bit small for your needs, but they make larger packs with the lumbar reservoirs. I'm not sure if they're focused on keeping packed weight low or not though (the Volt even has oversized hip pockets).

Light, Cheap, Durable

Currently I use the Bacon pack from EB First Ascent. It weights 650 grams with waist belt, is 28 liters capacity (roughly a pair of ski boots and a sleeping bag), and is way more bombproof than it looks.

I know Eddie Bauer gets somewhat of a bad rap in some circles, but I honestly love mine. I've spent the last 2 summers scrambling in and around the lower mainland every weekend with it and have used it on multiple 35km patch skiing adventures this summer, not to mention using it every day as my work bag. Oh, and it's cheap too.

I also use the REI Flash. Since we normally backpack in and setup camp before scrambling, I want something light.

Been using a Camelback Skyline 10 biking this season and am pretty happy about the fit and low carry reservoir.

Haven't hiked much with it, but can see the low-slung style working as well off the bike as it does on.