Beartooths, Memorial Day 2016

This is a bit belated, but I haven't had useable internet for over three months, and mid-August seems like an appropriate time to share ski photos.

I had a week off of work starting Memorial Day weekend this year, so rather than go to Costco and load up on wieners and potato salad, I opted for a five-day solo tour in the 'Tooths. Things started off strong with some giant creek crossings on wet logs and a little grass touring:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF6413.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	186297

A few snow squalls made their way through on the way in, but for the most part it was pretty easy once I managed to get on some continuous snow:

Name:	_DSF6421.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	912.8 KB 
ID:	186299

After crossing rolling plateau for several hours, I got into sight of some dang fine mountains, I reckon.

Name:	_DSF6446.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	186300

I got to cross lake ice on the way in, but warm temps for the next few days changed that situation considerably.

Name:	_DSF6453.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	186301

The first full day in, I went for a line I'd really wanted for a few years. The weather was beautiful all day, and I got to ski from one of Montana's highest peaks in a mixture of wind-buffed powder transitioning to corn toward the bottom.

Name:	_DSF6464.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	186302

I skied around some other stuff the rest of the day, and then cruised back to camp for an evening of mediocre views:

Name:	_DSF6472.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	945.3 KB 
ID:	186303

The next day I wasn't sure which mountain I wanted to ski, so I took a tour around a new (to me) section of the plateau and skied them both as a compromise. There is a large, rapidly disappearing glacier at the base of these, and it was kind of cool (but sad) to know I am one of the few and last people to ski across it.

Name:	_DSF6477.jpg 
Size:	833.2 KB 
ID:	186304

This couloir ended up being an unexpected highlight of the trip. I decided not to summit due to incoming storms, but ended up having a great ski that got me back to camp a few minutes before the hail and lightning came in.

Name:	_DSF6512.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	186305

The snow was a bit mooshy in the afternoon, but I am a tolerant guy, so I managed to enjoy it.

Name:	_DSF6514.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	946.0 KB 
ID:	186306

I had one more nice evening in camp before the weather took a turn for the worse. The next couple days were a bit on the windy side up high and overcast so I didn't take many photos, but I did manage a couple more summits.

Name:	_DSF6522.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	186307

I think the next ski trip in this area will be an XC traverse in the winter, but it was nice to get up a few peaks I'd been eyeing to verify that yes, they are pretty bitchin' to go down.

Awesome. I'd love to ski there some days this winter, it looks like such a pretty and relatively quiet range. Not bad coverage for memorial day either...

FKNA man! Love the BT plateau! I need to get back there next opener.

Stamped 'Approved'

You had a solid month of May, I do declare.

Very nice. Love the high alpine shots.

well that was rad!

I like mid to late summer TRs, its actually when I find myself reviewing all my previous seasons outings and day dreaming of the up coming seasons adventures. Thanks for the reminder that annual trips to MT are needed!

Really nice trip glad you got to go in there. Looks like the snow was holding up well for you.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Awesome TR and photos. I admire you guys that have the savvy and dedication to do these multi-day solo ventures!