Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    No but there's a shitload of work to be done that can be accomplished for free or darn close to it, thus stretching dollars or effectiveness of expenditures MUCH farther. Lots of skilled laborers and service-oriented company owners in that volly pool lemme tell ya! Not just painting and trail maintenance, that's for sure.

Everyone involved knows how much of an uphill battle this is going to be, and has welcomed the challenge. If you want to know how it's all going to get done I'd be happy to show ya on a volunteer day BBQ dude!
    New place had an older Yotul stove. Nothing spectacular but I don't want to use it. Guy who's doing some work for me see's it & I mention donating it to Magic if it can possibly work. "you do that & i'll install it for free" was his reply. This guy hardly ever, if ever skis. In other words just wants to help.

Pic of stove before it came out.
    Name:  OldPR3-1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  35.8 KB

Going to everything I can to make it happen. Maybe some ladies will actually hang out in the lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    New place had an older Yotul stove. Nothing spectacular but I don't want to use it. Guy who's doing some work for me see's it & I mention donating it to Magic if it can possibly work. "you do that & i'll install it for free" was his reply. This guy hardly ever, if ever skis. In other words just wants to help.

Pic of stove before it came out.
    Name:  OldPR3-1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  35.8 KB

Going to everything I can to make it happen. Maybe some ladies will actually hang out in the lodge.

I love it! I bet we can have somebody spin up a nice tile pad for it, I'll make a couple drying racks for sure!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Wait til we get "sustainable" & "harvest" our own wood for heat.

Flame away...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Hope and Change. With the hope that Hathaway has $10+ million in change he can dump into the place to make it a viable ski area. One paint brush and 3 sheets of 80 grit per passionate volunteer ain't gonna cut it.
    Well, at least somebody is contributing a heat source for the lodge. That's a start. That will attract the family market.

Any of you guys know Geoff Hatheway?

These guys are putting a lot on the line, so hopefully somebody has deep pockets. I cannot imagine an roi (if there is one) would be in the near future. This is definitely a long term investment or fu money.

Regardless, it appears to be a win for the skiers.

We all do. Magic is pretty close knit. He knows what he's getting into for sure. ROI is to keep skiing Magic.

Look for a Hatheway on the STE podium this year. Kid just plains kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post

These guys are putting a lot on the line, so hopefully somebody has deep pockets. I cannot imagine an roi (if there is one) would be in the near future. This is definitely a long term investment or fu money.

Regardless, it appears to be a win for the skiers.

Yep! Great guy!

An ROI is closer than you might think. With super low operating costs and a big gain to be had by offering a *reliable* product and *communicating that* even in recent years the mountain has done relatively very well with meager showings, it just couldn't sustain it because management and ownership couldn't get out of their own way and didn't have the wherewithal to carry through their vision. I'm actually really optimistic that the new crew will be able to get Magic into the green relatively quickly. The financials are not that far off, even in the disastrous state of affairs the old regime seemed to always keep place in.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Congrats to all of you Magic faithful. I still hope to ski there one day before I get too old .
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I don't care for the guy. Who spells Jeff "Geoff"?Crazy people. That's who.

IT'S REAL!!! MAGIC HAS SOLD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I don't care for the guy. Who spells Jeff "Geoff"?Crazy people. That's who.
    Only 1% Jeff's spell it that way...

Too bad we're in the 99% (or you are, at least)
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

We all do. Magic is pretty close knit. He knows what he's getting into for sure. ROI is to keep skiing Magic.

Hey Rusty, it's Jotul you beater. Hope the house is coming along well. Are you putting another Elm Stove in the new place?

I've been known to construct a hearth pad or two (really just 1, but it came out really good). Would be happy to do some construction in that regard.

Sustainability idea here. Drag all of the downed shit off the mtn & there'll be plenty of heat for winter. Although I'll miss the ability to leave my half-drank beer sitting around the lodge while I do runs & come back to have it still cold.

Awesome to hear. I was happy to help with the partial share thing (not to mention getting a few awesome tshirts!), but this sounds much better. I know there's a lot of die-haaaaad Magic peeps out there, so this is great news. Good luck.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

With super low operating costs
    I don't think being able to run at breakeven or a small profit is the concern. You can run anything at low cost for a while, just not very long. The concern is that this investor group has enough cash to invest in capex now. Other than the Ranger leases very little has been invested to maintain the infrastructure over the years. Stuff crosses the Rubicon into rust and dust quickly, especially in VT. Unfortunately the recent press release was long on platitudes and short on statements like "we are committed to spending $X."

I think just to get to Bromley standards and be a legitimate family destination choice for a long weekend the new owners need to invest $5-7 million in the place. Your estimate may vary.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Jotul yotel whatever. I'm not using it. No Elm in the new place. This was a hard decision. The length was a bit intrusive for the room. Hearthstone it is.

This guy knows a thing or 2 about hearths. We should be all set in that regard. But any excuse for you to come down is a good one. so yeah we'll need your "expertise" in that category.

I figure if we get just one log off the mountain & into the stove we're on our way to "sustainable".

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Other than the Ranger leases very little has been invested to maintain the infrastructure over the years.

That is an extremely inaccurate statement, trust me on that. You're correct in your other assessments, but understand the buyers are a team of people who have been eyeballs deep in Magic for years. They have obsessed over the specific details and still decided to go ahead. Your concerns aren't unfounded, but they are definitely not productive of your time- I personally have 0 authority to release details, but rest assured, that transparency is on the horizon. This group understands the shit that the Old Guard has conditioned everyone to be concerned over and they want nothing more than to show their cards and let everyone in on the grand plan- but all things in good time. We have to survive this Due Diligence period first.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Get this, the guy even skis!! (Actually rips just not as hard as his kid).

Name:  Hatheway.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  109.8 KB

Old management not so much. I'll leave it @ that. No need for details.

Get this, the guy even skis!! (Actually rips just not as hard as his kid).

Name:  Hatheway.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  109.8 KB

Old management not so much. I'll leave it @ that. No need for details.

Gotta dig up that shot PJ took of him getting his pow 'stache on. Very appropriate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatheway2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	186379

Congrats everyone. Let's hope things continue to go in the right direction. I'm assuming there will be a grand ullrfest this year??? Well I will gladly lend my electrical skills if they are needed. Congrats again and looking forward to a good season!

Yep! Great guy!

An ROI is closer than you might think. With super low operating costs and a big gain to be had by offering a *reliable* product and *communicating that* even in recent years the mountain has done relatively very well with meager showings, it just couldn't sustain it because management and ownership couldn't get out of their own way and didn't have the wherewithal to carry through their vision. I'm actually really optimistic that the new crew will be able to get Magic into the green relatively quickly. The financials are not that far off, even in the disastrous state of affairs the old regime seemed to always keep place in.
    Well, that's good news. He seemed like a good guy just from the quick interview.

I just hope (for all of us) that we get a decent snowfall this year, since making/grooming snow has to be one of the highest operational costs for a ski hill.

record snowfall this year for magic, I just got the memo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatheway2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	186379
    Those look like some pretty good returns and turns on investment
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I hope that Magic gets a good snow year and the black chair running... after last year the mountain and its loyal skiers deserve a awesome year. Hope to make it to Magic this year, had passes last year but it never worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    record snowfall this year for magic, I just got the memo.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1471474655.945438.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  303.9 KB