Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long term Aeron chair users

Are they worth the money? They've been around a long time. Anybody have their ass parked in one for a lot of hours? I'm having hamstring issues, probably cutting off circulation, looking for a new chair.

I have one at work. The ventilation is nice, but I don't think the chair is as great as it's hyped up to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Long term Aeron chair users

I used one for many years. But then, while training for a race, I started having hamstring issues. The soft sling of the fabric seat was causing my legs to be constantly working while I was sitting. In the end returning to a seat with a solid platform helped immensely.

I had been very happy with the chair prior to that issue

YMMV

just be careful getting off of it

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    just be careful getting off of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Get the Mirra for your fat butt. I use them in a 24/7 shop and they are excellent.

I've been pretty happy with the Staples knock-off for a couple years. It's only $100 vs. what, $900?

How much time do you spend sitting down?.... oh wait, nevermind.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I've used one off and on at various companies over the years. Great chair.

That said, I also have a Tempur chair with a mesh back and memory foam seat that I use in my office at home that I'm equally happy with.

Had one for 3-5 years - never dialed in, too much fiddle factor and end of the day its just a chair.

Problem is chairs and sitting down all day. Yuck. I'm more comfortable alternating between standing and more "active sitting" on something that your body has to work with -- I"m using using this $200 wobble chair gizmo: https://www.amazon.com/Wobble-Stool-.../dp/B00HCLJDSK . This one is even cooler- http://www.swopper.com/ - but way more than I'd spend. Neither of those would touch your hamstring.

One option for your problem is a saddle chair--they come with and without backs. I learned about them from my dental hygienist. I found them much more comfortable than a standard stool for doing long operations which was the only time I sat for a long time. Prior to that I was having a lot of leg and back issues. I guess other surgeons must have liked it because the nurses had to hide it for me.

Had an Aeron for about 3 years now. I work from home and sit for 10-12 hours a day sometimes. Used to have some serious leg/back/sciatica issues that were absolutely chair induced. The more active I was, the better I felt. As soon as work got busy again, I was back in the chair, and in pain again. Aeron fixed most/all of those issues.

Benny are you still in CO? I am actually thinking of selling mine - it's the regular "B" size and I really want to get the larger "C" - at 6'2" (with a 36" inseam) my legs are a little too long for this chair which has been my one and only complaint.

Nope. Thanks for the offer, though, and the insight on the sizing.

I tell ya, I'm still dealing with the effects of working on my ass for ten years. I thought biking was a sufficient exercise, but, no way. My advice is, get up a lot, walk a lot, and get one of those adjustable standing desk things I see advertised a lot. I wouldn't want to stand all the time, so I like that idea. Now I'm just doing my photography super hobby for maybe two hours max before a break.

I've had this chair for over 8 years. It's awesome! You should consider it.

http://www.humanscale.com/products/p...eedomTaskChair
    "PC Load Letter, what the fuck does that mean?"

Just ordered one. If it sucks, it was only $129 and I'll give to the Mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the Staples knock-off for a couple years. It's only $100 vs. what, $900?

How much time do you spend sitting down?.... oh wait, nevermind.

Been parked in Aerons for 6 years. They make the doldrums of driving a computer bearable. No back or other problems related to the chair. I've tried a couple others (don't know names), but nothing came close. They just work well for me.

I recently matched the chair with a Varidesk Pro Plus 36 for a standing option (great for phone calls, change of pace, etc.). Get a good mat if you're standing.

This one is "only" $588. http://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-...-cARoCaqLw_wcB

Steelcase Leap is a better chair, imo.

Edit: also you can get one for an extremely reasonable price here, if this site is legit: http://www.madisonseating.com/leap-c...j36RoCQQHw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Get the Mirra for your fat butt. I use them in a 24/7 shop and they are excellent.
    For any Denver mags needing a nice secondhand office chair, Industrial Lane across 36 from Vail Resorts HQ has the Mirra for $150. Nice chair.

Vitra .04 for the win. Makes no sense but I’ve been through everything good from steelcase and Herman Miller and this wins. Maybe because it lets your body do its job?

In a previous life I ran both a Steelcase dealership and then a Herman Miller dealer and I've been using the same Aeron in my home office for 17 years and my missus used a Steelcase Please for 15 years in her office before it fell apart and then she got a Please v2 which she says is even better. The Steelcase dealer party for the launch of the Leap was one of the best nights out I've ever had but the chair just never did it for me and the we sold waaaay more of the Please then the Leap. Every time a potential customer ran a user trial it always ended up a head-to-head between the Please and the Aeron. Both are excellent but I prefer the vented back/seat of the Aeron.

In the last job I had before I was shooed away into retirement I asked if I could have a standing desk adapter. They said no so I brought in a 30 year old plastic milk carton and set a sheet of 3/4" plywood on top so I could stand and work. The comptroller came to see me and said she hated that I had to do that and bought me the standing desk. It takes some time to adjust to working standing up. And some development tasks that are highly detailed are easier to do sitting down, but I ended up spending about 95% of my time standing up to work and started a trend there where others could request the standing desk. I had an Aeron chair at home and at previous jobs and they were less comfortable than the $40 conventional armless desk chair I have now that doesn't allow me to slouch.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

these things any good to sit in and watch TV/fall asleep ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've had an Aeron in my office for about 10 years. It's not that great. Definitely would not want one for home use.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Those Aeron chairs are fucking terrible.

Skiers and mountain bikers already tend to have closed hips.

Those chairs act like a hammock, spreading your ass and rolling your thighs and hips inward into a constantly working and closed position...for 8 or 10 hours a day.

Are you wondering why your hamstrings are fucked, your hips are fucked, and you no longer have feeling in your balls and taint/perineum?

Fuck that.

It's a trendy design, just like those yoga balance ball chairs or minimalist running shoes or any product made by Apple, which puts a fashionable design theory ahead of practical use and ergonomics and then they jack up the price to make it desirable and market the shit out of a turd, hobbling people who don't know any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

We refer to the aeron chairs as khaki shredders. That mesh seat is like a cheese grater. Switched to the Sayle chairs and really like them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

I think what you need is a Hawaii chair