Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What ski: windboard slayers, corn carvers, thin pow.

Weight not an issue. Gotta ski solid, not light. Around 100mm, but pref 105 over 95. Thinking something with a 27m radius. Tip/tail rocker or full rocker. Kind of like an old school Sugar Daddy with modern rocker profile and a metal top sheet?

Or ignoring that, Mantras?
    Last edited by neck beard; 08-10-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Yes, wider and no metal, but Praxis MVPs.

Or these?
    https://shop.on3pskis.com/collection...-wrenegade-102

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Yes, wider and no metal, but Praxis MVPs.
    Unfortunately too wide. And possibly not enough rubber dampening and/or metal thuggery, or a heavy wood/glass milder equivalent of it?
    Life is not lift served.

Too bad; they do exactly what you asked for - and really well.

Line Supernatural 108 comes to mind...

The upcoming ON3P Wrenegade 108. Yes I know it's slightly wider than your ideal, but are you really going to stress over 3mm?

There may be some options from some of the bigger companies but I just haven't paid that much attention lately.

Dynastar Powertrack 89. The hill I ski at has a combination of those conditions all the time and I demoed a ton of skis in that category and settled on the Powertrack 89.

If you do get the Mantras, I'd be very curious to hear how you like them. They could be a really good club field ski.

Kastle fx series.. width and length to preference. Can't go wrong.

Although I just picked up some head collective 105s today to hopefully fill this role in a bit more playful manner

I was just thinking about that Kastle series today... but again it has that piste-ski radius.

The radius is too small on those Powertrack 89s. And a bit narrow. But I bet they are solid.

Adrenelated, what will make the Wren 108 special?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    If you do get the Mantras, I'd be very curious to hear how you like them. They could be a really good club field ski.
    I have Mantras, but they are in the wrong country, and a bit too short. Anyway dude, we have had this exact exchange before - Mantra and NZ club fields - and you didn't want "railway stiff"! Impossible woman
    Last edited by neck beard; 08-11-2016 at 02:42 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

I have a pair of old m103s in the 18X length that do pretty well in those conditions. Mostly they are just predictable, with a long turn radius in a fairly stiff ski. No rocker though

Whitedot Director?

Faction Ten maybe?

Edit: Don't know your ski length preference, albeit longer turn radius than asked for, admit that the all new Showdown 105 from Down skis are intruiging..?!
    Last edited by SoooL; 08-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.

The DPS Wailer 105 meets your specs.

What ski: windboard slayers, corn carvers, thin pow.

Cochise, Mantra and Showdown 105 are all solid recs.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I have a pair of old m103s in the 18X length that do pretty well in those conditions. Mostly they are just predictable, with a long turn radius in a fairly stiff ski. No rocker though
    This. Bring your big boy legs though. They are not light.

They're bottom feeders though. How shallow pow are we talkin? And how much wind affect? And how deep is the corn? (not slush?)

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    It's close to ticking all your boxes - flex is right, radius is right, width is very close, nearly as damp as a metal ski. Added pluses of bombproof construction and USA made. I did just notice the wanting "tip & tail or full rocker" and it's not quite there, but the 108 does have more tail rocker than past Wrens. It may not be the perfect choice but it's worth looking at.

No metal but the Vicik is the ski you seek.

Moment Belafonte

Dynastar Cham 107 HM, ski kills it. No metal but still stiff in the right places (waist to tail).

The Venn diagram does not compute for me. Thin pow? For me, nothing under 110 is worth discussing for powder. I mean you san ski through - but to handle well and be the least bit surfy, I just don't see it. Corn carving - best things out there IMO would be real powder skis - for my corn trip last spring, pretty much the only ski I used was a 3D Powderboard. cloud peak stuck to her Protests... Hard wind affected snow, sastrugi, etc - IDK, my GPOs get me through. And that's kind of all I ask of them for that (interestingly, I'm not sure it qualifies as conventional skiing, but my Powderboards did a surprising job of sliding through and over modest sastrugi...but again, my goal was "passage") Best I can tell, betting the hard wind packed end of things slayed means compromising the other two a ton.

Anyway - given what it sounds like you are shopping for in terms of function, seems to me the usual medium wide suspects from Praxis and ON3P would fit the bill as well as anything. Otherwise, maybe go full on metal crusher and look at something like a Helldorado? That ski surprised me with how damp, nimble, and sure-footed it was on ice and cookies. Especially given its width.

Just rambling.... and as always, worth noting that I am "not aggressive"...

I was just thinking about that Kastle series today... but again it has that piste-ski radius.

The radius is too small on those Powertrack 89s. And a bit narrow. But I bet they are solid.

I have Mantras, but they are in the wrong country, and a bit too short. Anyway dude, we have had this exact exchange before - Mantra and NZ club fields - and you didn't want "railway stiff"! Impossible woman
    Wrong! I am sceptical of "dead-feeling" and only able to rail, but I am intrigued by a ski that can go very fast on funky snow. So there, infidel

Btw, how long are your Mantras - and where have you skied them? Canada? Mounted with Ions?
    Last edited by Island Bay; 08-11-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Med/stiff piste jibs

Lots of good skis coming up here. Actually eyeballing and handling many of them is the hard part.

Length v.s radius is a problem. I ski short skis given my weight/height/context. 177 is plenty for firm or thin snow. And with so many skis these days, shorter means smaller radius. Who makes a modern Sugar Daddy? The 173 came with a 28m radius back in 2005.

Lindhal: 10cm on a firm base, or dust on crust. Moderate wind board, skiable but not ideal 3d conditions at all. And never slushy corn, always just-ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    The Venn diagram does not compute for me. Thin pow? For me, nothing under 110 is worth discussing for powder.
    I hear you, but I also ski a lot of powder, so don't really get motivated to look for that surfy feel in 10cm on a firm base on the off-days.

Praxis Piste Jib is always on one of my radars. But too turny for wind funk conditions.

Island Bay - my Mantras were bought for groomer 'training' on rest days in Japan. So they are only 170cm, which is perfectly ok for me on-piste, but given a center mount and being very stiff, they are way too short for dense and deep, especially chopped dense deep snow. They would just jab deep under some dense shit and jam there, risking a knee injury. Pretty brutal in moguls as well. As for mount, I couldn't think of anything worse than a Mantra with tech bindings (and light boots). Thinking about 177 Mantras, and replacing my groomer 170's with 170 Kendos.
    Life is not lift served.

Lots of good skis coming up here. Actually eyeballing and handling many of them is the hard part.

Length v.s radius is a problem. I ski short skis given my weight/height/context. 177 is plenty for firm or thin snow. And with so many skis these days, shorter means smaller radius. Who makes a modern Sugar Daddy? The 173 came with a 28m radius back in 2005.

Lindhal: 10cm on a firm base, or dust on crust. Moderate wind board, skiable but not ideal 3d conditions at all. And never slushy corn, always just-ripe.

I hear you, but I also ski a lot of powder, so don't really get motivated to look for that surfy feel in 10cm on a firm base on the off-days.

Praxis Piste Jib is always on one of my radars. But too turny for wind funk conditions.

Island Bay - my Mantras were bought for groomer 'training' on rest days in Japan. So they are only 170cm, which is perfectly ok for me on-piste, but given a center mount and being very stiff, they are way too short for dense and deep, especially chopped dense deep snow. They would just jab deep under some dense shit and jam there, risking a knee injury. Pretty brutal in moguls as well. As for mount, I couldn't think of anything worse than a Mantra with tech bindings (and light boots). Thinking about 177 Mantras, and replacing my groomer 170's with 170 Kendos.
    Try the Powertracks. Serious. They make me want to hunt out marginal snow just for fun. I have skied them in up to a foot of pow and had a hoot. And lots of breakable crust. They're pretty much the only ski I grab unless I know it's going to be knee deep or more.

Given how this is evolving, maybe a woo2 or Hoji? Don't remember if you have played with them. I have not skied the woo2, but given the changes form the original I'd expect it'd fit the wide radius and rocker characteristics you want.... Or maybe an older EHP?

Fun to noodle on, but like I said, that Venn diagram...