Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    You can get plenty of runs in 4 hours if you lap the comet express quad. Looks like they got some Lake Erie lake effect the last couple days

Rocket Run baby!!

Rocket run, Comet, etc serious flash backs taught there for years many many years ago.

We're getting a few inches Sunday. Go get some.

Ended up going to Bristol on MLK day. I was pleasantly surprised...decent cover with spring-like conditions, not too crowded, and the mountain was slightly taller than I thought...decent variety for its size.

No idea how the snow will hold up through this week with rain and 40s. There is no snow on the ground whatsoever outside the mountain.

Eh overall pretty fun for a few hours (lapping the quad I got a lot of runs in). I would not want to be there when it's crowded or cold and icy, especially paying $60-70 for a lift ticket. I'm probably good with 1-2 more trips this winter.

On an unrelated note - Anyone have a favorite bike shop in the Rochester-Syracuse-Finger Lakes area? I'm looking to get some winter work done but am not a huge fan of the Geneva bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    On an unrelated note - Anyone have a favorite bike shop in the Rochester-Syracuse-Finger Lakes area? I'm looking to get some winter work done but am not a huge fan of the Geneva bike shop.
    What kind of work? Absolute best wrench in the area is Craig:

http://www.mendoncyclesmith.com/

Call for hours as he may be sporadic in the winter. Just past Bloomfield going west.

Chyeaa mid 60s this week! I've been skiing here exactly once this season.

I've been like 10 times so far. Hey its been better than last year

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I've been like 10 times so far. Hey its been better than last year
    True! I went yesterday. 60s and sunny, decent cover, and soft snow...fun times were had! Not sure how Bristol will hold up though after these past few days of 60-70s and rain today and tomorrow. I woke up this AM to a thunderstorm!

Sorry to hear it's been so warm. But there's usually a big dump in March out that way. My last winter living in Rochester, I remember skiing after a pretty big storm in April. Is Bristol still guaranteeing 100 days of skiing, even if it means a 20-foot wide strip of 'snow' down Lower Rocket?

True! I went yesterday. 60s and sunny, decent cover, and soft snow...fun times were had! Not sure how Bristol will hold up though after these past few days of 60-70s and rain today and tomorrow. I woke up this AM to a thunderstorm!
    Check their webcam. They have a ton of snow on the trails

Yeah they had a solid base - the upper fringe trails were getting patchy. Although it will be cold again next week so perhaps they will make snow

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Rocket run, Comet, etc serious flash backs taught there for years many many years ago.
    I taught there in the winter of 97'. I just looked at a trail map and it looks like they have expanded since I was last there.

I would be amazed if the guns fires again this year. Never do in March..They will squeak their 100 days in and close..

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimberx15 View Post
    I would be amazed if the guns fires again this year. Never do in March..They will squeak their 100 days in and close..
    Yeah I'm calling it quits on this season. I had fun at Bristol but not worth going multiple more times at $70/lift ticket.

Yeah I'm calling it quits on this season. I had fun at Bristol but not worth going multiple more times at $70/lift ticket.
    Gotta move away from the flatlands for it to be worth it.

Finger Lakes, NY Region

I wouldn't pay 70 either. Season pass is where it's at. Especially if you need to ski to prepare for western trips .. get out 20 times its 40 bucks. I guess it depends how many days you ski..

For the last few years that I lived there I would buy 6pack and 10pack leftovers offered on craigslist for $20-30 as I recall.
    thnx Capt. Chuck Shunstrom

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I used to ski a lot more at Swain than Bristol, mostly because they stopped checking tickets around 4pm and were open until 10.

Bristol usually didn't check for the first few hours at least.

Fuck paying $70 for a lift ticket in WNY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Guess I called it early! Anyone shredding today? Roads here are awful so probably won't get out.

Guess I called it early! Anyone shredding today? Roads here are awful so probably won't get out.
    Gonna skate ski over at Mendon Ponds with some buddies tonight. Hope the groomer makes it over there first. Go get some tracks.

Hit up Ontario Co Park this past weekend in south bristol. It was a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    no shit, youth mispent tripping balls and wandering through gorges all day, the haunt and the rongovian embassy, riding bikes through the tunnels at the atom smasher, underage and in the bars all the time, drooling over naked hippie chicks at the reservoir, a place full of over educated wack jobs, beat up old volvos who didn't have one growing up, sitting in some lab room surrounded by millions of files in plastic boxes while a world renowned expert on malthusian theory explains life to a teenager, getting busted on every weekend by cops, trying to score cornell kind bud as a kid, just did a nice 80 mile road ride there a couple weeks ago, fucking hills are pretty nice, can't get them outa my mind, the place did damage to my thought process but magical it is
    Just had the trippiest non-drug/alcohol weekend. I think I did too drugs in college had some serious flashbacks with a friend. What I love about Ithaca is you can walk around pretty much within the city all day and still find fun things to do. We probably walk 5+ miles through the Commons (food scene is just getting better and better), through a few gorges and ended watching the sunset looking at Carl Sagan's house! Ithaca is magical.