Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yosemite Advice

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    If you're an early riser get up before the shuttle starts running (7AM I think) and hike Vernal & Nevada Falls (up the Mist Trail, down the John Muir). The trailhead is only about a mile from HD Village. Really cool getting there before anyone else and only starting to see people when you hit the bridge on the way back.
    I'll definitely try to check that out

Sound advice for any of the popular trails. Start with a head lamp and be on the way down before most tourons even get out of bed. Then go hike some of the lesser used trails.

Even better is get out and run some of the trails early, running in the valley is pretty cool.

The valley is still pretty crowded in September, but the high country is thinning out. Toulumne is really nice that time of year.

For the lungless smoker, the hike to the Vernal falls bridge is pretty easy and has a nice view of the falls. With enough time, even a smoker can make the top of the Mist Trail.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anyone with intel on the smoke situation there right now? Looks like it's been fairly bad on the webcams. I'm set to spend a couple nights in Half Dome Village next week, but I can still cancel up until tonight.

I don't want to make the trip if the views are going to be obscured.

The Yosemite fires seem to be settling down and the weather is getting cooler with occasional rain. I'd say next week is probably good unless something new pops up.

https://wildlandfiresmoke.net/outloo...rraFires#Area2

My son was in Tuolumne last week, said no significant smoke. He was in the valley.

Oh nice. Good to know. Going to be there Monday night through Thursday. Pretty excited about it, actually.

Still a lot of smoke up high.

And snow too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    And snow too
    Yeah, I headed out of the park this morning, and wanted to go see Toloume (sp?) Meadow, but the road was closed until the snow melted off. Looked like 4-6 inches.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I had a blast down there this week. Tossed up a quick little TR about it:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...40#post5106040

stay away from El Cap right now....
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Yeah. Heard about the rockfall. Sad news for sure.