Advice on truck for sleds

Hello,

A friend and I will be quitting our jobs and ski bumming full time next season. We are looking for a truck to put a sled deck on for two snowmobiles and potentially tow a (small) camper.

We will be driving all over the west: Tahoe (home base), Colorado, Utah, etc. (wherever it snows) then up to Alaska as well. Reliability, space and also gas mileage are things we want to keep in mind. Ideally looking to spend around 10k for the truck alone but budget could go up if needed.

We have been considering the 7.3l diesel fords and the 5.9L diesel Dodge Rams. We want at least a 1.5 cab and the long bed for the sleds. As we are not super educated about trucks wanted to see if we are on the right track.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track. You will definitely need a 1 tonne and you might want to look for a long box (8') as the sleds stick out quite far off the back end of the deck. This isn't a problem on its own, but when you add a trailer the back of the sleds interfere with the trailer and you end up with a hole in the front of the trailer. There is also a trailer hitch extension out there- must upgrade to a Class 5 hitch (Canada, maybe different in the USA) that puts the trailer about 5' more feet back.
    Good luck boys ! What are you guys thinking for sleds ?

Sounds like you need a 3/4 ton heavy duty trcuk either on gas or diesel

some will tell you not to go diesel cuz if they fuck up on a truck old enough to only cost 10K it could cost you $$$ when it breaks

Yeah it might not break but if you are cluess maybe you are not savy enough to keep from buying someones problems?

I'm in the go for the gasser camp
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This might be long, but some food for thought I think.
    First: If you are just planning on chasing pow/sleeping at trail heads whatever then I would suggest getting a truck + hard side camper(the kind that goes in your bed), and get a small trailer to tow the sleds. If this is your plan, towing a trailer is going to be a real PITA if you get out in the woods somewhere with a bunch of snowfall(think getting stuck).
    If your plan is to go to certain spots, stash towed camper at a campsite/buddies place/wherever then use the truck + sled deck to tool around in then disregard the comment above.
    Trucks: I would say do nothing less than hard-side camper and 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck.
    What kind of truck you say?
    You are going to be getting 10-15mpg no matter what you are doing, and no matter if you have a gasser or diesel w/ sleds + camper(towed or in the bed). I wouldn't get too hung on those MPG's.
    $10k you say? Got it.
    Trucks that would be worth a shit in that market.
    Solid Platforms:
    1994.5-2003 Ford F-250/350 7.3 Power-Stroke, OR 460ci gas motor
    1994-2002 Dodge 5.9 Cummins 12v/24v
    Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 series late 90's/2000's w/ a 7.4l 454, or the 2000's 6.0L gasser..Don't entertain the 6.5 Turbo Diesel as I had one once upon a time, just get a Cummins or Power Stroke instead.
    Ford Econoline(Eseries) E250/whatever 3/4 ton van they got in 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel..most of these are definitely going to be out of your price range in any decent shape or form.
    Not-so-solid but if price is right I would go to :
    2003-2007 Ford F-250/350 6.0 Powerstroke or 5.4L gasser(going to be real slow my friend towing)
    Mid 90's Ford F-250/350 w/ a 351 gasser in it(once again...going to be slow)
    Others I can't think of that someone can chime in with.

Since you said $10k. Any truck above is going to have a shit ton of miles on it UNLESS you find a good grandpa craigslist special where his 1997 Ford F-250 only has 120k on it. Miles don't matter(to me at least), it matters how well it is taken care of. Look on craigslist, and you can sort the shirtbirds from the good guys on there normally just by how well their ad is put together.
    Example: I just sold a 1992 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummins with almost 330,000miles on it that I would've drove to Alaska no problems. Almost brand new everything including tires, I sold it for $7k cash. Lots of miles, but it was very well taken care of.
    Whatever truck you get for $10k it is not going to be perfect, a new set of 32'' stock A/T tires is going to be $800 minimum after mounting/balancing. That being said, the truck/camper combos that people put up on craigslist can be had for a pretty good deal, from what I have seen. Here would be an example of one I would entertain http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5693830659.html . Do the research on these platforms, especially the pros and cons of the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke motor(you are going to find an incredible amount of literature on this subject).

Lastly, if you are DEAD set on going sled deck + towing a camper. Look into flat bed utility trucks. They can usually be had for way cheaper than a standard truck. Example of that would be this.http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/5688605599.html
    This is just to give you an idea of what to look for/whatever. I could be way off base here. I have had most of the trucks mentioned above so if you need any help/advice/suggestions. PM me on here.

I agree with XXX-er. Go and get a 3/4 or 1 ton gasser. The diesel truck market is crazy right now. 10k might be able to buy you a truck with 200k on the odometer. You'll spend way less on a good used gasser truck with half the miles on it.

Here's some examples of the types of pickups I'd be looking for:
    http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5661877988.html

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/5683628394.html

Decent price but it's a short box. http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5695714197.html

Some diesels:
    No AC and it's a 6.0...
    http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5697006781.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5712240768.html

Good luck with the search.

FYI I like Fords but I wouldn't shy away from a Chevy or a Dodge if the right deal came along.

This seems like a huge pain in the ass. So every time you want to take the sleds off you'd have to drop the trailer somewhere. I'll throw in another vote for a bed camper and tow the sleds on a trailer. Seems to make so much more sense. And make sure you get the red truck.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

In response to sled deck vs trailer. This was our reasoning, but open to changing our plan.

We will not be living out of the trailer 100% of the time. We are getting squaw passes and have a place to stay there(incline), we also have friends in salt lake and other places. Our thoughts were to stash camper when needed before hitting the trail...at this point we are not 100% sure on the camper! we have a dome tent for longer expeditions and cost of camper + gas mileage may be economical to just get a hotel every once in awhile, but camp mostly. (I am leaning towards camper heavily, friend less so.) We were thinking that we would have a lot more access for places to go with a sled deck as it would be much easier to turn around on dirt roads etc. without a trailer (however we are new to sledding, so Maybe that's not a necessity.)

Are sled decks not that much more of an advantage over a trailer?

Is our budget on the low side? We could up it a bit if needed, if that would be worth it due to minimizing repair costs etc. wouldn't want to go much more then 15k, 10k being ideal.

We considered utility trucks, but figured it would be an advantage to be able to store skis etc. under the sled deck on a regular truck.

Pancake: we found a deal on two Arctic cats. Big sleds for beginners, but we got a whole season to learn.

I know someone that has a 2001 cummins extended cab long bed with 71k miles in great condition, wants 18 but seems flexible (kbb seems to have the diesels much below what I see them sell for. Would would be a good offer for that truck?

Again, really appreciate everyone's time, we'll be sure to share the stoke once the snow starts falling.
    Last edited by powderhound100; 08-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound100 View Post

Pancake: we found a deal on two Arctic cats. Big sleds for beginners, but we got a whole season to learn.
    Which ones?

2007 arctic cat m1000 and 2005 1M 900,
    Last edited by powderhound100; 08-03-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo

In my very limited experience, towing = Dodge diesel.
    If your budget is about 10 grand (and you're towing), gas mileage is really not going to be a thing to consider. It's more like gallons per mile. Ok, not really.
    Diesel heavy duty trucks can be very reliable, but again, for 10 grand, you're looking at about as many miles on it as the Earth is from the Sun.
    Old Fords are good.
    Not a fan of Chevy. My bro had an old Chevy 3/4 ton. God damn lemon. And it had an incredibly uncomfortable ride without out 3/4 of a ton in the back of it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

2007 arctic cat m1000 and 2005 1M 900,
    I'm partial to Ski-doos but those will get you guys where you need to go ! Good choice on the 2-strokes, 4-strokes sound and look good on paper, but are just not the right machines for sled skiing/ boarding.
    Sled deck is a great way to go. Having to turn a trailer around on a logging road, especially a 2 place is really exciting some times ! With the sled deck a lot of your stuff can go underneath like jerry cans, sled covers, a few tools, boards/skis. Out of the way and hidden instead of inside the truck.

If you want a diesel I'd double the budget. I'd go gas. I am partial to Mid 2000s Chevy/GMC 2500/3500. The 6.0 Vortec is a great motor, plenty of power and very reliable. Don't listen to stucky. I've owned 2 3/4 ton 2000s Chevys, both have been awesome trucks.

Have you figured out the female companionship angle yet?

You have some solid suggestions here. One thing, check out the powderquest or whatever those two dudes are called. They did your journey with a mid-90's Ford 250/350 gasser. You don't need to spend $20k for a reliable truck, diesel or not. If it was me, I could build a reliable rig + camper + sleds for $15k easily. If you don't know mechanics, most stuff is really easy and youtube makes it even easier. This is where you will make your money. Good luck, craigslist will be your best friend.

Thanks everyone, been looking around.

Plan in on checking this diesel ram out tommorow, seems like a great deal:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5711496254.html

Then my brother in SF is potentially going to check these out for me:
    95 gas 350, low miles and cheap: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5720071590.html

03 f350 gas: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5720611646.html

99 f350 diesel with a new tranny: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5674519949.html

Cheap gas f250 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5718036186.html

Leavenworth skier: have not figured out the female companion, you have advice?

Thanks everyone, been looking around.

Plan in on checking this diesel ram out tommorow, seems like a great deal:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5711496254.html

Leavenworth skier: have not figured out the female companion, you have advice?
    Dodge is a deal, I'd go for that.

Might want to get that squared away, otherwise it's going to end up being like this:

No doubt.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.