San Juan Mountains summer info?

I am formulating a plan for about 5 days in August in the San Juans. Scenic drives and cool small towns are the goals. So, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray are definites. I've been there during the winter but never the summer. I'm curious on some dirt road options, backroad scenics, etc. We have a high clearance 4-Runner, a wife who can get a bit sketched on some roads, and a 2 year old. I do not want to roll the 4-Runner with a two year-old. (Wife would probably be fine.)

Black Bear Pass: Seems too stressful. But a quick rip up from Telluride to Bridal Veil Falls and then doubling-back seems very easy, right? Wrong?

Imogene Pass: Rated 4/5 for difficulty, whatever that means. But is there parts that are mellow worth driving up though, to some falls or a viewpoint, then turning back? Or just forgeddaboudit?

Ophir Pass: Looks Sweet! I'm sure the wife will be a bit sketched here-and-there but she will love it...eventually. Am I right in this is just a gravel road? Seems narrow in parts but that's not a big deal.

Is the highway from Durango to Silverton a must-do? I know going north is sweet, but I've never gone south from Silverton.

My wife is a real rockhound, so if there is a non-touristy place to go dig let me know. She like geodes and shit. Dinasours too, and ancient Indian shit. I love ancient Indian shit too, so I'm thinking of working in Canyons of the Ancient somehow, or leaving that for it's own trip in the fall when it is cooler and less people.

Any other little side-trips recommended in these specific towns or in the general area? Any other passes to do? We don;t like crowds, we don't like tourist traps. We are driving from SLC btw.

Finally, I will be mountain biking a bit but I will start a Sprocket Rockets thread for that, if no one chimes in. Looking for a couple hour rides here and there, and possibly shuttles as we go over passes. I have done zero research on this so far...

Thanks!
    Last edited by muted; 07-23-2016 at 07:48 PM.

San Juan Mountains summer info?

All of what you mentioned, and: the Alpine Loop over Cinnamon and Engineer Passes is fun. Check out American Basin. Hike to Ice Lake near Silverton. Drive into Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray. Grab a beer at the Ouray Brewery rooftop. Singletrack on Telluride mtn utilizing the free gondola.

American Basin for sure since it has some of the best wildflowers anywhere and up over Cinnamon Pass. Be sure to stop at the Animas Forks ghost town and get cute pics of the 2yo in the old buildings. Lake City is a cool little town that you ought to cruise through also if it fits into the schedule. Slumgullion Pass is really interesting and scenic, especially for a guy who is into rocks and geology. Engineer Pass is spicy in a couple of places and it freaked Mrs Cruiser out despite us being a in very well outfitted 4wd. Million Dollar Highway is pretty damned scenic and it's an important thoroughfare through there so you'll likely end up on it anyway.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    IOphir Pass: Looks Sweet! I'm sure the wife will be a bit sketched here-and-there but she will love it...eventually. Am I right in this is just a gravel road? Seems narrow in parts but that's not a big deal.
    Ophir Pass is one of the easiest. Heading up to Animas Forks, as mentioned, is worthy.
    Is the highway from Durango to Silverton a must-do? I know going north is sweet, but I've never gone south from Silverton.
    I think it's worth it. There's some awesome views all along the way and nice walks from Molas Pass. All the lakes up in Molas are good fishing, Big Molas the most likely to have people at the campsites. Lime Creek is good for a longer hike, as is the Colorado Trail.

My wife is a real rockhound, so if there is a non-touristy place to go dig let me know. She like geodes and shit.
    The SnowShow mentioned Ice Lakes, but the whole Mineral Creek area is beautiful with rocks and a cool grotto along Clear Creek. There's a ton of RVs up there, but they're easy to get away from.

Dinasours too, and ancient Indian shit. I love ancient Indian shit too, so I'm thinking of working in Canyons of the Ancient somehow, or leaving that for it's own trip in the fall when it is cooler and less people.

Any other little side-trips recommended in these specific towns or in the general area? Any other passes to do? We don;t like crowds, we don't like tourist traps. We are driving from SLC btw.
    I think Mesa Verde National Park is really worth the time; it's easy access and really cool. I also think Lizard Head Pass from Mesa Verde up to Ophir is pretty.

(edit)
    I recommend the Avalanche Café for breakfast burritos, their own craft beer and pizza. Silverton is nicer after the last train leaves around 3:00 pm.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 07-24-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah do the Ice Lakes hike for sure. We did Imogene in a stock 2003 4R which was barely good enough. Took forever but worth it.

We'll be down there on the Lake City side in 2 weeks.

Consider Bolam Pass. If you went over Ophir and Bolam you can loop from Purgatory to Silverton and also see the section south of Silverton and two other passes on the Animas Side (Molas & Coal Bank) plus Lizardhead pass, the Wilsons and Trout Lake....maybe Rico.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Thanks for the tips, all of you. Everyone had a nugget or two of very good stuff.

Ice Lake is a no-go though, same with Alpine Loop, Imogene Pass, Cinnamon Pass, etc. But....

I'm considering Yankee Boy Canyon, but how is the road getting to the bottom of the Canyon? I'm thinking of going from Ouray to Camp Bird to Yankee Boy.

What is Country Road 2 going from Silverton, through Eureka, to get to Animas Fork like? Seems mellow?

Any mining/forest roads near/past Silverton Ski area worth going up? Anything else worth checking out there besides just showing my wife the ski area and doubling back?

Thanks for the tips, all of you. Everyone had a nugget or two of very good stuff.

Ice Lake is a no-go though, same with Alpine Loop, Imogene Pass, Cinnamon Pass, etc. But....
    Ice Lakes are a hike, but with a 2 y.o. that would be rough. The Clear Creek grotto is easy access from the Mineral parking lot.
    What is Country Road 2 going from Silverton, through Eureka, to get to Animas Fork like? Seems mellow?
    It's a graded dirt road up to Eureka, then a fairly steep ramp up to a narrow road where pullouts will be required if there's any other traffic. A little sketch until one gets up past the single lane/pullouts.

Any mining/forest roads near/past Silverton Ski area worth going up? Anything else worth checking out there besides just showing my wife the ski area and doubling back?
    You can drive the road up into Velocity Basin easily, a rental car can do it with some care. There's a little tarn there below the Grande couloir that's pretty. Another fairly easy drive is going up 2 to just before Howardsville, then going up Cunningham, all doable in a rental car, no 4wd required. Pretty meadows there, Cunningham creek flows. trailhead to Highland Mary Lakes there.

110 to 10 out of Silverton was very good road when I did it a few years ago. When you get to the top turn around. I continued on and did Corkscrew Gulch going downhill and even though it is rated easy it was very rutted and nasty clay. I ended up teaming up with a guy in a Liberty so that we could help each other down it. Slow going. Apparently it is good after it has been graded in a dry year...but yikes.

Pick up Guide to Colorado Back Roads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells if you don't already have it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/19348...nSL&ref=plSrch

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ice Lakes are a hike, but with a 2 y.o. that would be rough. The Clear Creek grotto is easy access from the Mineral parking lot.
    ?

These pics are from 2010 with our then baby girl and my stepson who was 7. It is a bad ass hike. Do it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.

If you are looking for mellow off road, look at Last Dollar Road (if it didn't wash out from the recent flooding). Also, Imogene on the Telluride side isn't too bad (at least up to the abandoned mine community). I did both of these in an Outback couple years ago.

It's a graded dirt road up to Eureka, then a fairly steep ramp up to a narrow road where pullouts will be required if there's any other traffic. A little sketch until one gets up past the single lane/pullouts.
    FWIW, I saw a big Buick 4dr sedan at Animas Forks the last time I was there. The road gets difficult after the ghost town as you head up to Cinnamon Pass for sure, but I don't think the stretch between Eureka and the Animas Forks is anything more than a rough 2wd drive gravel road. Maybe my memory of it is a little foggy though...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Thanks ugly, good to know about 10, it made me do some sleuthing an it seems like I can do a loop from Silverton-Animas-Ski Area- back toSilverton.

"Our car-friendly road trip returns to Silverton by continuing onto Country Road 9, Country Road 19 and Country Road 10 which will lead back to CO-110."

Not doing the Ice Lakes hike. I have a two year old who insists on hiking every step and complains when she is picked up for even short steep pitches or when put in a backpack (where she is ear-level and yells, "I wanna walk!!!! Put me dowwnnnnnn!!!"). Combine that with a possibly crowded trail full of people, no thanks. We will do some hikes where we have a lot of time, no destination, and something more flat. And drive around in the car because she hasn't insisted on driving everywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    If you are looking for mellow off road, look at Last Dollar Road (if it didn't wash out from the recent flooding). Also, Imogene on the Telluride side isn't too bad (at least up to the abandoned mine community). I did both of these in an Outback couple years ago.
    Thanks. It's not about if my vehicle can make it, I know it can do almost anything out there. I just want to avoid lengthy slow-going bumpy roads with a pregnant wife and a two year old. Short sections are fine, all day in 1st gear or low would be a nightmare.

Combine that with a possibly crowded trail full of people, no thanks..
    The most unusual thing I've found about hiking around Silverton is the lack of other hikers. There's tons of 4wheelers, dirt bikes, ATVers, but several of the hikes we've done have been much less crowded than the PNW for example. In any case, understood if you don't want to do the hike with a 2yo.

And on the Eureka ramp, I'm not an offroader, so what the fuck do I know. It just seemed steeper than virtually any other gravel road I've been on.

I get it. An awesome little flat day hike with easy access and perfect for a two year old is just down 550. Spud Lake. http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/spud-lake. Also in Ouray take the boardwalk back into the ice cave area or whatever they call them.

The most unusual thing I've found about hiking around Silverton is the lack of other hikers. There's tons of 4wheelers, dirt bikes, ATVers, but several of the hikes we've done have been much less crowded than the PNW for example. In any case, understood if you don't want to do the hike with a 2yo.

And on the Eureka ramp, I'm not an offroader, so what the fuck do I know. It just seemed steeper than virtually any other gravel road I've been on.
    Good to know about people. I read it was a busy trail, but had no perspective.

I think I will be fine on the Eureka ramp. I appreciate your info, I need to talk to the wife and pretend to know what we are getting into. Again, some perspective is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I get it. An awesome little flat day hike with easy access and perfect for a two year old is just down 550. Spud Lake. http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/spud-lake. Also in Ouray take the boardwalk back into the ice cave area or whatever they call them.
    Both good tips, thanks!

The 5 day trip has morphed into a longer one. Now we are also going to Mesa Verde National Park. Any recommendations for the park with a 2 year old? Can I go up the ladders with a kid in a backpack no problem? Any over-rated ruins to skip?

I second Spud Lake, was going to mention it. Still is probably longer than a 2 year old can handle, but...

Shuttle Ride: If the wife is willing to wait a bit, she could drop you off at Molas Pass (if she's willing to wait hours, and many hours if you're slow like me) or Coal Bank Pass (still a good stiff climb, but not crazy long). The ride down to Cascade Creek (after first climbing to the base of Engineer Mt) is epic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The 5 day trip has morphed into a longer one. Now we are also going to Mesa Verde National Park. Any recommendations for the park with a 2 year old? Can I go up the ladders with a kid in a backpack no problem? Any over-rated ruins to skip?
    Spruce House is easiest access and has maize grinders for use by the kids. There's not that many ladders there; one goes down into the kiva.

Driving up La Plata Canyon west of Durango (on the way to Mesa Verde) is mostly dirt road (long but 2wd passable) then a short 4wd section (doable but definitely 4wd) to get you to Kennebec Pass which is crazy beautiful, and there's a short easy hike to Taylor Lake that the 2yo can handle.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy