Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Bag, msrp on pickups are designed to be heavily discounted. When I was shopping around I found discounts of $4k - $8k pretty easily.

Just to clarify, I don't have an intention of buying new. I just wanted to easily compare the crew vs double cabs, and while I was there, I thought I'd check out a work truck. Good point on the incentives, though, FR. Seems like the domestics always have significant rebates or discounts available.

Tortoise, I'm not really near Canada, but have been looking at the CA craigslist postings.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Just to clarify, I don't have an intention of buying new. I just wanted to easily compare the crew vs double cabs, and while I was there, I thought I'd check out a work truck. Good point on the incentives, though, FR. Seems like the domestics always have significant rebates or discounts available.

Tortoise, I'm not really near Canada, but have been looking at the CA craigslist postings.
    just tell the dude/dudette you have a family member that can get you the "GM family discount" and youd rather not go through all the BS if he could get close you might not bother with the family bs....my bet is it works, and if they even do any checking at all id be shocked. I do actually have GM family members they havent worked for GM in 35 years, but I can still take advantage of the discount (if i were in that market), but i can't see anywhere that it designates how they check that the family memebr is still entitled to the discounts. What you do get is the insider pricing sheets. anyway...worth a shot if you went new.

I found a 2002 Eurovan Weekender for pretty cheap. It's had the major things done (transmission, timing chain), but still needs some work. I'm comfortable wrenching on it, but it's got enough electric/computer shit to give me pause. My number one priority is reliability. I don't mind quirks, but I don't want to be left stranded. I think I could get this thing pretty solid. Between that and a AAA Premium membership, we'd probably be okay. The price is right, and I like the idea of a van. Lifting it is crazy simple, though no 4wd is limiting.

If there was a truck and truck camper parked outside that fit my budget and needs, I'd probably snatch it up, but having to buy the two from different parts of the country is stressing me out. I'm also having trouble with the sheer size of these things. They're fucking huge. Overland Expo East is in October in Asheville. If I haven't found something by then, I'll probably plunk down the cash and go see some kickass vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I found a 2002 Eurovan Weekender for pretty cheap. It's had the major things done (transmission, timing chain), but still needs some work. I'm comfortable wrenching on it, but it's got enough electric/computer shit to give me pause. My number one priority is reliability. I don't mind quirks, but I don't want to be left stranded. I think I could get this thing pretty solid. Between that and a AAA Premium membership, we'd probably be okay. The price is right, and I like the idea of a van. Lifting it is crazy simple, though no 4wd is limiting.

If there was a truck and truck camper parked outside that fit my budget and needs, I'd probably snatch it up, but having to buy the two from different parts of the country is stressing me out. I'm also having trouble with the sheer size of these things. They're fucking huge. Overland Expo East is in October in Asheville. If I haven't found something by then, I'll probably plunk down the cash and go see some kickass vehicles.
    Monsieur Bagtagley I tried to respond to your inquiry last eve but your inbox is full fyi
    skid luxury

Shit, sorry. It is LeDouched!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Bag, msrp on pickups are designed to be heavily discounted. When I was shopping around I found discounts of $4k - $8k pretty easily.
    Other than Toyotas I guess-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Come out and pick my trailer up with lots of extras for cheap, thing is still virtually brand new. Then you have housing on the drive back.
    I'm keeping my truck though.

Name:  Trailer.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  99.3 KB
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Nice rig.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I wish I had that access port on my camper.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, outside storage or especially a pass-through are high on my list for a next camper.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Yeah, I have a storage compartment that I use for lots of things but it's pretty small. There is a big storage space under the bed, but the only way to access it is to lift the bed up; an outside access would be great.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Nice rig.
    Thanks, it needs to be used more though. Or sell it to someone that will get full use.

That is the bunkhouse, storage under the full bed and can lift it up for storage up to the bunk bed. Front storage is fully pass through to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Yes, outside storage or especially a pass-through are high on my list for a next camper.
    You get that when you go 26'. Great camper. Tons and tons of space.

Mine is 17'. Quite a difference!

But I don't want bigger, I want a camper that is just big enough to provide some semblance of comfort in bad weather, but not big enough to encourage hanging out inside. But we have a small family, if I had more chilluns I might think differently.

Mine is 17'. Quite a difference!

But I don't want bigger, I want a camper that is just big enough to provide some semblance of comfort in bad weather, but not big enough to encourage hanging out inside. But we have a small family, if I had more chilluns I might think differently.
    We looked at a 21' at first and didn't want to go bigger, but one of the sitting areas would be our bed. Which means I have no place when the Dane and the 11 yo giant kiddo are laying there in the rain watching the flat screen I put in. Just 3 of us and the big dog. It's nice to have the room when inside. Overkill, yep, but only a grand difference in the end with so many more options. Stabilizer jacks were one huge item the 21' did not have either, also no oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    We looked at a 21' at first and didn't want to go bigger, but one of the sitting areas would be our bed. Which means I have no place when the Dane and the 11 yo giant kiddo are laying there in the rain watching the flat screen I put in. Just 3 of us and the big dog. It's nice to have the room when inside. Overkill, yep, but only a grand difference in the end with so many more options. Stabilizer jacks were one huge item the 21' did not have either, also no oven.
    We have just one kiddo, but only 5. And there's a kid bunkbed above our bed, so no need to break down the table when we go to bed; it's one of the reasons we really wanted this one. We had 2 big dogs too (now just one ), but neither as big as a dane.

But honestly, I make it sound like we put a lot of thought into it, and we didn't. Our friends owned it, and we were always envious of their setup (we had a pop up trailer), and one day they decided to sell it and asked us if we wanted to buy.

We have just one kiddo, but only 5. And there's a kid bunkbed above our bed, so no need to break down the table when we go to bed; it's one of the reasons we really wanted this one. We had 2 big dogs too (now just one ), but neither as big as a dane.

But honestly, I make it sound like we put a lot of thought into it, and we didn't. Our friends owned it, and we were always envious of their setup (we had a pop up trailer), and one day they decided to sell it and asked us if we wanted to buy.
    Sorry about the pups, ours is on her last legs at 8.5 yo and cancer. She tried to jump on the bed around 4am and slammed the ground hard with a lot of crying, thought she may have broken a leg. So my day started with "oh fuck, I gotta go put my dog down today". It feels that close, sad face.

We are now at a point of finding that neighbor who wants a screaming deal on this thing as we have been paying on it since 2011 and selling for what we still owe.

Do you always travel with the full family? How about a hybrid setup? A small trailer (popup or rigid) then a bed platform built into whatever truck or van you end up with. The kids sleep in one, you and the missus sleep in the more comfortable one. Gives you a bit of space at night and adds some versatility in case you don't take the whole family on a trip. Plus, it allows you to tow/store a smaller trailer.

Just in case you're in the market. There's either something really wrong with this thing, or there's something wrong with the seller for pricing it so low.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5727408052.html

driving in my hood yesterday, i saw a teardrop trailer with some good clearance, AT or MT tires, and an RTT. looking online, i think it was one of these: http://www.oregontrailer.net/terradrop.html, or a home made version based on that idea. i have no experience with a teardrop trailers. they don't seem to accomplish some of the reasons (for me) to want a trailer, campervan, or 4x4 slide-ins such as have a warm and dry place to hang when it's not warm and dry.

also, the gallboys (aussies) on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/GallBoys/videos, seem to know what's up with offroad trailers. not sure if the trailers that they're hauling around (or similar) are available in NA. here's them tourin a factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZssiHJhPw

shit looks expensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    driving in my hood yesterday, i saw a teardrop trailer with some good clearance, AT or MT tires, and an RTT. looking online, i think it was one of these: http://www.oregontrailer.net/terradrop.html, or a home made version based on that idea. i have no experience with a teardrop trailers. they don't seem to accomplish some of the reasons (for me) to want a trailer, campervan, or 4x4 slide-ins such as have a warm and dry place to hang when it's not warm and dry.

also, the gallboys (aussies) on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/GallBoys/videos, seem to know what's up with offroad trailers. not sure if the trailers that they're hauling around (or similar) are available in NA. here's them tourin a factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZssiHJhPw

shit looks expensive to me.
    Tyre is a city, not something round to make your vehicle roll.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i have no experience with a teardrop trailers. they don't seem to accomplish some of the reasons (for me) to want a trailer, campervan, or 4x4 slide-ins such as have a warm and dry place to hang when it's not warm and dry.
    Exactly. They seem real cool until you realize that they're fucking pointless.

Exactly. They seem real cool until you realize that they're fucking pointless.
    Not true of all tear drops. My buddy's goes winter camping and its quite spacious and warm inside compared to my van. Plus you can stand up in it.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Not true of all tear drops. My buddy's goes winter camping and its quite spacious and warm inside compared to my van. Plus you can stand up in it.
    Those new-school big teardrops look pretty cool.

I am talking about the classic teardrop, not just anything with a tear drop shape. For ex, Rpod campers look pretty cool, and I would not call them teardrops.

But the classic teardrop, where the interior is all bed with no floorspace, and the kitchen set up is outside on the rear of the unit? Those are pointless. Yes, maybe they are comfy and warm, but considering their limitations because they're a trailer, I'd take a van or truck with a topper.