Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Beta on Snow Summit Bike Park (Big Bear)

Heading to Cali to visit the in-laws at the beginning of August. Instead of the usual sitting by a pool and developing a serious drinking problem, I figured I might try this place. Anyone have any beta on mtn biking at Snow Summit. Is it worth my time?

Yes, do it.

Timely as I just arrived in So Cal via Pal Springs today. Holy sh@t is it hot. We've cracked 30 maybe once or twice this year in Smithers. Getting off the plane was shocking, a stifling 40. Apparently, it was 'way hotter' last week so say the inlaws. Already kinda getting used to it though.

The Snow Summit website says they have rentals but prices are not to be found. Neither for lift tickets. How much is this going to set me back? Any other mtn pursuits or otherwise cool shit you might recommend to me while in Redlands and environs?

Big bear is ok. There are a few (3?) gravity logic trails from the lifts and then some other xc trails up top and away from the lifts. It will probably cost more than you want, but might be worth a day or two. Much better during the week when less busy.

Go up to Idyllwild, visit the Hub, get a trail map and rent or demo a bike. IMO trails up there are way more fun than Big Bear, and its a cool mountain town. Though it will be hotter than BB. Ride early or late, and you may want a bug headnet for the gnats. There is some other good riding on the front range by Pasadena - Mt Lowe/Mt Wilson, or Chantry Flats. There is a shuttle that runs Mt Lowe on weekends. Think 5,000ft descent. I imagine you could rent bikes there somewhere.

If you feel like hiking you could go up San Gorgonio. Only Vivian creek trail is open and you need a permit even for day hiking. It's the tallest peak in Socal 11,500ft. Skip it on a weekend. Mt Baldy is another cool hike to 10000ft.

Prices are going to be like $50 for a ticket and $100 for a rental... similar to the larger, more known bike parks.

There are only a few bike park trails, only one lift operating. What is great about Big Bear is that the lift allows you to access a decent amount of trails outside of the park. Skyline Trail runs along the ridge to both the East and West from the chair for several miles with several trails that drop down back into town.

Rent a trail bike. Hit a few DH laps in the morning. Then go Skyline to the East, down all the way towards the Bear Mountain base. Ride through town to grab lunch at Get The Burger. Ride back to the lift. Go Skyline West as far as you want and drop down whatever trail you fancy, then crank back through town and to the car.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Thank you gentlemen. I am going to Palm Springs tomo and taking the tram and doing the San Jacinto peak hile. Really looking forward to it. The local topgraphy, landscape, vegetaion etc is quite foreign to me. I will take you guys up on your suggestions in the coming days.

Not to hijack thread - but I'm also curious about BB/Snow Summit MTB. Heading out there for work trip late Sept. Did some reading on Skyline trail - looks like a good ride.

Could I rent a bike somewhere in town and just pedal to skyline and do it one end to the other? Or does it require a lift to access?

Any info on how to do a day trip and accomplish this ride appreciated...wont have much time to spend in the area since it's a biz trip.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Could I rent a bike somewhere in town and just pedal to skyline and do it one end to the other? Or does it require a lift to access?
    Yes. Lots of people do ride it as a big loop.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

How long of a loop is this on average? Anyone got a good map outlining best way to do it? Where to park all that kinda stuff. (not familiar with the area. skied there once)

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Not to hijack thread - but I'm also curious about BB/Snow Summit MTB. Heading out there for work trip late Sept. Did some reading on Skyline trail - looks like a good ride.

Any info on how to do a day trip and accomplish this ride appreciated...wont have much time to spend in the area since it's a biz trip.

thanks
    Not a highjack at all dude. This is valuable beta.

Trails in order of easiest to hardest.

Lift-accessible trails outside of ski area:
    http://www.3fbc.com/blogs/wp-content...summit-map.jpg

#1 (easiest): 2N10 west to 2N5IY (Coyote fire road) to 2N08 to Towne Trail back to lift. Some flat pedaling a just a bit of climbing on Towne Trail.

#2: 2N10 to Skyline Trail (parallels road) west to IE01 (Pineknot trail) to town, ride back to lift on city streets. Don't do this route unless you're looking for a fair amount of pedaling and some climbing.
    http://www.3fbc.com/blogs/wp-content...rail_map_2.jpg (In the other direction, Skyline now goes all the way down to Fern.)

#3: Pirates (Speedos on this old map) to 2N10 to Fern Gully to Bristlecone (some flat pedaling) back to lift.

#4: Pirates to Upper Fallline, then east on No Nam to 2N10, to Fern, to Bristlecone to lift.

#5: Pirates to Upper Fallline, to Lower Fallline, to bottom of Fern, to Bristlecone to lift. Haven't been on Lower Fallline in years, but it used to be a blast.

Trails within park:
    http://mtbparks.com/index.php?option...d=205&cf_id=60

Westridge is the primary jump line, Miracle Mile has somewhat more "natural" technical terrain (tighter/steeper/looser in places). Going Green just opened (still a little rocky, needs more rain and riders) and is great for newbies. Upper Turtle (not on the map) will be an intermediate trail of berms from top-to-bottom of park, and is scheduled to open on the 8/11.

This guy is damn good. https://youtu.be/RUd_OeFuyTQ
    Higher res 2016: https://youtu.be/uTRbVfJW0Ag

Hanna Flat / Grey's Peak trail: excellent XC trail from Fawnskin corner of lake. Leave a vehicle and Fawnskin and shuttle to Hanna Flat Campground. Ride back to lake, doing optional Grey's Peak leg if you want more ride. When you hit the lake, ride the road north back to your car at Fawnskin.
    http://bigbearlakemarketingassociati...earlakemap.jpg

Rentals:
    https://bvbikes.com/bike-rental/
    http://chainsrequiredbikeshop.com/
    http://www.snowsummit.com/summer/bik...g/bike-rentals
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 08-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	185860

Greg the cardiac surgeon, ski freak and all-around good dude who was my host and guide for the day. We spent about an hour or so scouting out a ski line from the summit that Greg has in mind.

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	185861

Me at summit hut

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	185862

Summit

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	185863

Very reminiscent of the Okanagon, just cooler and bigger. 40 plus in the valley but a comfortable 18-20 up high. My low heat tolerance prompted me to bring lots of water, most of which went untouched. I know this has nothing to do with bikes but that will be forthcoming early next week. Awesome beta 1000-oaks, thanks.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 08-05-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Name:  13939597_1788164764787935_1903981259757141637_n.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  105.4 KB

Never made it up to Big Bear. Chris the research scientist, bike freak and all around good dude took me for a nice ride in the hills near Redlands / Yucaipa however. Very much enjoyed that. Once again I must say, I had a great time in Southern California. People are super nice down there.

On a seperate but related note, this is the last time we stay with the inlaws. Great folks but I keep going to Cali and only doing a fraction of the stuff I wanna do. Next time, we rent a place in Big Bear and operate on our own schedule. Anyone know of any cool, family friendly, reasonably affordable places to stay in Big Bear or surrounding area? Quick access to redlands is a key.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 08-11-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    On a seperate but related note, this is the last time we stay with the inlaws. Great folks but I keep going to Cali and only doing a fraction of the stuff I wanna do. Next time, we rent a place in Big Bear and operate on our own schedule. Anyone know of any cool, family friendly, reasonably affordable places to stay in Big Bear or surrounding area? Quick access to redlands is a key.
    There are tons of rentals up in Big Bear in all shapes, sizes and prices. Go on VRBO or AirBnB or whatever people use these days. Winter is probably hardest time to get a rental. There are really only two routes down off the mountain and both come out either end of Redlands. Neither is what I would call a quick drive. You might also find rentals in Forest Falls, much closer to Redlands. You can hike up San Gorgonio from there via Vivian Creek (permit required). Over the ridge from Big Bear near Hwy 38 you can ride the Santa Ana River Trail close to 50 miles and drop all the way down into Redlands/Mentone.

Rode the new & improved Fall Line (outside the park) twice yesterday, fantastic enduro trail. The new Turtle Trail in the park is a hit with beginners and intermediates, zero jumps and non-stop berms all the way down - very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    There are tons of rentals up in Big Bear in all shapes, sizes and prices. Go on VRBO or AirBnB or whatever people use these days. Winter is probably hardest time to get a rental. There are really only two routes down off the mountain and both come out either end of Redlands. Neither is what I would call a quick drive. You might also find rentals in Forest Falls, much closer to Redlands. You can hike up San Gorgonio from there via Vivian Creek (permit required). Over the ridge from Big Bear near Hwy 38 you can ride the Santa Ana River Trail close to 50 miles and drop all the way down into Redlands/Mentone.
    We would be looking for a place sometime next summer. Availability is better at that time i am assuming. Look forward trying out some of the trails mentioned here. Thanks everyone for the excellent beta.

Back in Southern California for my annual visit. Hiking San Grogonio via Vivian Ceek on Monday if anyone wants to join me.

You don't even look too stoned to fucntion in those picts

as opposed to the last time we hung out

its fucking cold and I slept with a quilt last night

over at the vatican i can see johnny lighting the stove in the AM

skiing aint so far off eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looking forward to winter but I have to say that it has been the furthest thing from my mind the last couple days. 40 + down here. My heat sensitive Canadian constitution will compel me to get an early start and bring hoards of water for the San Gorgonio hike.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...-gorgonio-peak

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	211271

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	845.0 KB 
ID:	211272

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	364.4 KB 
ID:	211273

Sunday - Shot an 88 at Redlands Country Club (damn happy with that considering I golf once every 2 years)
    Monday - San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek; I do a sh*t ton of hiking in B.C., but there's something about hiking down here that I love.
    Tuesday - Huntington Beach; surfing / nearly drowning

I heart SoCal!!!!

Any mags ever ski up there^^^^ ? Lines everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I heart SoCal!!!!
    Quick! Leave now before that changes!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

glad you had a good time. (i live 2 hours from big bear)
    i looked where smithers is, way up in BC. I love BC riding, been 5-6 times (costal stuff), i rally want to ride the interior.

Looking for Beta on Snow Summit Bike Park (Big Bear)

Annual SoCal trip us in the books. Lots of poole tome. Took the kids yo Big Bear and fid the Alpine Slide thing. Ride the Mt Baldy chairand hiked the Devil’s Backbone trail to the summit of Mt San Antonio.very cool hike.

And for the first time ever, my arrival in Southern California represented an improvement in air quality. Not looking forward to returning to the smouldering ash tray that has become Beautiful B.C.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 08-23-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Name:	Image1535052591.048213.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	880.5 KB 
ID:	244933

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums