Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Fingers crossed for Saddleback - got lots of time on that hill growing up. Terrain was up there with Sugarloaf, with the added bonus of twice the wind (and none of the crowds, but it seems poor form to celebrate lack of crowds). I would go back.

Besides... learned pretty much everything I know about girls in a cabin near there.

Unfortunately Saddleback is like Burke without the Academy. And even further off of the radar than Burke which is scary. It will only lose money as a ski area. Not a sound investment for anyone expecting to turn a profit or break even.

Had a great time there once when we switched the destination from Sunday River to Saddleback! That was in the 90s.

I read that its 2nd to last sale was to the Berry family for 12 million dollars. Not sure what Majilla paid for it this time....but 12 mil? For a full operating ski resort replete with main lodge and 121 condominiums??? Damn that seems like a steal!...depending on general condition.

New company going with Doppelmayr? Damn, that's some money right there!! Especially for that detachable quad they were talking about!! Hope they can afford it! But if they sink $$$ into the infrastructure like I guess they're doing, they SHOULD do ok...it will take awhile, though. But they desperately need that February President's Week to start getting in the black again. Prolly too late this year for opening up during Christmas Week.

Good luck, Saddleback!!! You gotta lotta things going for ya!!!!

Best case scenario: cheap condos and tons of snow for ski touring xmas week, skintrack party all week, then lifts spin for Presidents' Day weekend. Believe!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Tons of snow. X-mas week.

Not looking so good for Saddleback, the "buyer" had an ulterior motive....

Majella unmasked: News Center Maine TV broadcast an invesitgative piece: http://www.newscentermaine.com Click on the story "Australian CEO on tape: I 'won't lose any sleep' if Saddleback doesn't open"
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Not looking so good for Saddleback, the "buyer" had an ulterior motive....

Majella unmasked: News Center Maine TV broadcast an invesitgative piece: http://www.newscentermaine.com Click on the story "Australian CEO on tape: I 'won't lose any sleep' if Saddleback doesn't open"
    talking to family tonight as this story came on for them, caught some of it.

What a prick. Hope they can find some way to screw him and send him back.

EDIT: now I see that the corp still hasn't paid the whistle-blower back back, nor actually closed the deal with the current owners. Seems like a good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

The old EB-5 scam. The folks over at Jay know about that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    The old EB-5 scam. The folks over at Jay know about that.

think recent events up there have affected the decision a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    think recent events up there have affected the decision a little?
    Maybe, but Monsour is somewhat clueless. I think he ran out of steam all on his own.

Biggest in North America? HA!

Remove all snow making and lifts. Turn the place in the premier ski touring destination in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Remove all snow making and lifts. Turn the place in the premier ski touring destination in the east.
    Or even allow for some seasonal yurts at/near the base on a year-by-year (permit renewal) basis. Not sure what land ownership is though - I know the alpine ridgeline is managed by the Appalachian Trail Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    Or even allow for some seasonal yurts at/near the base on a year-by-year (permit renewal) basis. Not sure what land ownership is though - I know the alpine ridgeline is managed by the Appalachian Trail Conference.
    From what I remember the Barry’s own all the land surrounding the lodge and a good chunk down the access road. IIRC, they only want to sell the “resort” and not the surrounding land, and this might be the sticking point with the sale.

Yurts or cabins would be pretty cool, but I’m not sure how a couple of cabins sprinkled around would really help Rangeley.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Yurts or cabins would be pretty cool, but I’m not sure how a couple of cabins sprinkled around would really help Rangeley.
    Exactly. The yocals I have to imagine would much prefer spinning lifts, since that's gonna bring a lot more $$$ back into town.
    While turning it into a touring epicenter would be rad, that can't possibly bring in the kind of dough and traffic that they had previously been pulling in.
    How much extra is RASTA really pumping into Rochester? ...
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Wierd. Got to assume there’s debt or property taxes not getting paid. Lender or county should have seized the property by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Wierd. Got to assume there’s debt or property taxes not getting paid. Lender or county should have seized the property by now.
    How do you reckon?
    The owners needed to raise ~3M (I think?) to replace the main/lower lift to be operational a few years ago and weren't able to get a hold on said capital, so they weren't able to open.... and haven't since then.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Saddleback was such a fundamental part of my childhood and skiing evolution. I sure hope that someone figures this thing out somehow. I'd love to go ski those glades again sometime.

Why would the Barry's lose money to host a touring center that wouldn't attract enough visitors to keep the local area viable?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Functions that way now just without facilities at the bottom and who needs a lodge when you go touring. To the Berry's credit, they have been very welcoming of skiers using the hill while it is shut down. They even run the one cat they have left up to the top for a nice road up.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    How do you reckon?
    The owners needed to raise ~3M (I think?) to replace the main/lower lift to be operational a few years ago and weren't able to get a hold on said capital, so they weren't able to open.... and haven't since then.
    My point was they have $0 revenue coming in, and have continuing costs to maintain ownership of the property. At some point, if you can't find a buyer or capital source, you stop all payments and let the foreclosure happen.

Who’s gonna foreclose? They own it free and clear.....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Who’s gonna foreclose? They own it free and clear.....
    Sheriff's sale or foreclosure, makes little difference if the Berry's run out of funds. However, there is little likelihood of that, the Berry family is wealthy enough to keep on just as is for many decades.

They love the place but are tired of managing it. They might also have estate planning concerns but their lawyer seems to know what he is about, so that may be an non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Functions that way now just without facilities at the bottom and who needs a lodge when you go touring. To the Berry's credit, they have been very welcoming of skiers using the hill while it is shut down. They even run the one cat they have left up to the top for a nice road up.
    It's nice that they keep the Goodwill flowing at their closed Resort. Eventually you need to do something and I am sure they want to help the local economy which is suffering greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    It's nice that they keep the Goodwill flowing at their closed Resort. Eventually you need to do something and I am sure they want to help the local economy which is suffering greatly.
    I wouldn’t say suffering greatly. The town has one of the largest snowmobile clubs in Maine. The town is also pretty busy in the summer and fall. Of course the influx of another user group would greatly help the local economy, but realistically the town is not going to wither and die based on the operating of the ski area.