Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    The family has a ton of sunk costs in the main lodge and all the unsold condos they still own. Given the costs to reopen the ski area after being shuttered for so long, that part has almost no value. Finding a buyer to take the risk of a substantial investment on that side without giving away the condos and the lodge has not been possible. Longest drive from population centers of any ski area in NE makes for a real tough sell.

Berry family response to the above letter. Whole thing has been a drawn out soap opera.
    https://wgme.com/news/local/as-negot...Rvfe2omE7zFVTM

Name:  berry letter.PNG
Views: 2432
Size:  286.9 KB

That sucks...woman I work with bought a cabin up there and everyone seemed to be jazzed up that things were heading to an opening this winter. Wishful thinking

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/09/...its-roadblock/

A little more background. This perhaps an occasion that I'd root for Vail to send in the drones for a takeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    This perhaps an occasion that I'd root for Vail to send in the drones for a takeover.
    I'd think Alterra would be the best chance for Saddleback to succeed with the synergy of the the 'Loaf and Sunday River on Ikon. If Saddleback were on the program, Ikonic Maine weekend travelers may say what the hell and give Saddleback a try.

I hope that one day we will be skiing at Saddleback again. This is one time I hope that Vail (or Altera) saves the day (or a investor that can get it done). Saddleback be operational again is so important to the region.

Hmm, I wonder how much the condos/cabins that they hold would go for at the moment? That's a really nice area regardless of whether the mountain opens. The ones on Zillow aren't super cheap, but they seem a bit newer than what I remember staying at when I was there.

Saddleback does not fit Vail's model for making money.

Altera is putting most of their extra money into Big Sky and Sugarloaf and Sunday River lifts are limping along. Buying Saddleback would just drain skier visits from the other mountains that they are currently funding at a low level.

Pretty much left with the dreamers to buy the mountain. Always has been a money losing venture and hard to see any plan changing that.

Berry's are holding back on selling their condos and others are holding on hoping the mountain comes back so they can get some quarters on their investment and not dimes. Nice place, but down by the lake and closer to town is a lot nicer than way up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Altera is putting most of their extra money into Big Sky and Sugarloaf and Sunday River lifts are limping along. Buying Saddleback would just drain skier visits from the other mountains that they are currently funding at a low level.
    My understanding is that Alterra just has a partnership with Boyne who owns and operates Big Sky, Sugarloaf, and Sunday River. Boyne is on the hook for any maintenance and updates. Alterra has no real skin in the game at any of those resorts other than reinbursing them for skier visits. Which frees Alterra up to buy Saddleback outright and join the party in Maine.

Don't suppose it matters much as my Alterra ploy is firmly tongue in cheek anyways. See you in the parking lot for skin laps in Casablanca!

Agreement reached on sale of Saddleback

After four years of uncertainty, the shuttered ski resort is expected to reopen under the ownership of a Boston investment fund.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/11/0...EPWnG19I8sWwpM

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/...box=1573234504
    Last edited by DaveTV; 11-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.

I've always wanted to ski there! Hopefully it works out

New owners hoping to make Saddleback ‘one of the top resorts in the East’

https://www.skijournal.com/new-owner...s-in-the-east/

“There’s this Saddleback diaspora that is spread out all over the country,” he said. “People are passionate about their memories of their time at the mountain and have been heartbroken that they have lost the opportunity for their kids or grandkids to be part of that culture for the last four years. There’s definitely a sense of responsibly in understanding that passion and that sense of community and that, when we bring the mountain back, we do everything we can to build on that culture and lifestyle and make sure that its something that will be around for generations to come.
    “This is going to be, legitimately, one of the top resorts in the East when we’re done.”
    The wait is over. Let the anticipation begin.

It's no wonder the Berrys were looking for other offers.

wgme.com/news/saddleback-buyers-seek-2-million-before-sale-deadline?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Again, I'll believe Saddleback is really open when they plop my ass on a moving chairlift. I'd love for that to happen.

Andy Shepard should call Alterra for a loan... the Ikon bank account should be full of money this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Nice link off your article

https://wgme.com/news/local/cumberla...ng-raymond-man

Guy didn't want to pay rent so decided to go live in the woods for free... makes perfect sense in Maine... some would say a longstanding tradition here.

Best info I could find regarding the latest deal and need for $2Mil:

https://www.maineskifamily.com/2019/...OgqF2v56luZsOo

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Went to school in Maine '09-'13, many fond memories of skiing Saddleback. Girlfriend learned how to ski there, such a good vibe. Hoping the comeback is real this time!

The deal is done! Reopening next winter

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/...AZqGVc5Dt6iysw

Last edited by DaveTV; 02-01-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Saddleback announced ticket prices today for the upcoming 2020/21 season. Season pass holders also get two free days at Jay Peak. Add $300 for a locker in the base lodge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8A7FE9A5-D55C-4C1F-A64A-352C8C29DA75.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	319979  

Very interesting following the rehab of the mountain this summer on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SaddlebackMaine/

This is awesome. Might have to drag my skis (and myself) back to Maine this winter.

Very excited to see Saddleback coming back to life! Give it a few years and I think it’ll be running like a top.

Will certainly try to spend a couple weekends up there this year.

There was a story on Maine Public Radio this morning about the sudden Western Maine real estate boom that talked a bit about Saddleback and included some comments from Saddleback's GM. Their original plan called for condo development in three years, but demand is so high that they are pushing up the timeline, so that is at least a hopeful sign that the mountain could be viable on an ongoing basis:

"...the new management team had been planning to start developing skier condos in about three years, but demand is already so high that Shepard says the schedule is being pushed up.

"For two reasons, one because of COVID. People want to get out of the cities and into a rural environment like Rangeley. The other is that I think there's just a lot of excitement about what's happening at Saddleback, and people want to be a part of this. And had we understood the demand that was out there we would have had it be year one."

https://www.mainepublic.org/post/wes...-staying-there