Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

If you had the opportunity to go anywhere in the world to ski,

where would you go?

Budget should be max $20K and you can't be away more then three weeks.

3 weeks at la grave with the option to drive elsewhere in the alps if conditions dictate
    or
    you might be able to work out close to 3 weeks of heli for 20K in AK or Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It's always been my dream to ski Gulmarg.

I can likely afford that though, so if I had a dream trip, I'd go for touring in Antarctica. I think you can find trips that slip under the $20,000 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    3 weeks at la grave with the option to drive elsewhere in the alps if conditions dictate
    or
    you might be able to work out close to 3 weeks of heli for 20K in AK or Canada
    Ha, took the words right from my finger tips...

X2 for me, all the way.

However many days I could cat ski for 20K in British Columbia (drive there to save costs)
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    However many days I could cat ski for 20K in British Columbia (drive there to save costs)
    This is my answer too. On a lesser budget I would have said Japan.

My ski bucket list:
    Japan
    AK
    Austria/Alps in general
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

BC Cat skiing
    Japow
    strippers and blow in Aspen

edit: the Aspen thing would really be 2 days with only 20k

Sake, nigiri and deep Hokkaido powder in January

OR

Cat tour Interior BC.

If it was purely for the best skiing, there have been some good suggestions, but for an overall ski vacation, it is hard to beat the Alps. I was skiing the Sella Gruppe (Dolomites technically) in March of this year and it was an amazing combination of incredible mountains, cool, albeit touristy little mountain towns, and amazing food. Three weeks in the Alps would be a blast. Ski all day with a change of underwear and a credit card and see what village you end up in.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Japan 5 years ago.

I like to jump on bandwagons, so Japan it is!

And in close second, Fairview Ski Hill.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.19.06 AM.png
Views: 1269
Size:  531.2 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

plan to not plan. Go wherever it's locked-up and pow-ing.
    Drive slow, homie.

$20k would get a flight, lodging (or tent + provisions) and probably a couple new pairs of skis, then spend 3 weeks touring in either the Canadian Rockies or the Wrangell-St. Elias area.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    plan to not plan. Go wherever it's locked-up and pow-ing.
    exactly why I list my bucket list
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

For free????

Antarctica.

Already done Baffin Island and British Columbia.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.19.06 AM.png
Views: 1269
Size:  531.2 KB
    I think you could buy Wilmot for $20K.

So Vail is going to put $13 mil into their $20K resort?

Antartica. Cause is about the only places left on the bucket list.

20k and three weeks?

Las Vegas.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

There are plenty of places I have yet to ski. But for my .02, I'd call the crew at Arctic Heli in Iceland and see what they suggest for an extended visit. Great folks. I love that place. I've done the heli thing a decent number of places and northern Iceland is my favorite. In addition to heli, they do a bunch of touring - including sailboat supported. And Greenland too... There are a few modest lift served areas in Iceland - good for some kicks or for a lift boost for touring - as long as you go early-ish season. Access to Iceland is surprisingly easy and cheap. So travel cost and time overhead is minimized. As is logistical risk. I think next year will be #6 for me there....

Regarding Antarctica - I would not do it given the parameters given. Yeah, it'd be cool to ski there. But, for me, only as one slice of a trip.

The overhead to get to Antarctica is nuts. Getting there is time consuming and relatively expensive. If you don't build in some extra travel buffer you risk missing your boat. And remember that you spend a few days each way crossing the Drake on the boat as well.

Then there are the realities of Antarctica. It is unbelievably remote. If anyone gets a moderate or severe injury - the focus of the boat becomes evac. Which can be surprisingly hard to manage & time consuming. And not conducive to getting lots of laps in

For my .02 - if this is a one shot trip, Antarctica is a dicey bet to place. Yeah, things will likely go OK - but why spend half (or more) of your trip on the road (or water) and take the chance of any number of things nuking a ton of your skiing?

Again, I think skiing in Antarctica would be cool. But personally I'd only want to do it as part of a more diversified trip. And only if I'd be OK with the kinds of things that can require you to "adapt".

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    20k and three weeks?

Las Vegas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee-canyon-trail-map.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	859.0 KB 
ID:	185245

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    There are plenty of places I have yet to ski. But for my .02, I'd call the crew at Arctic Heli in Iceland and see what they suggest for an extended visit. Great folks. I love that place. I've done the heli thing a decent number of places and northern Iceland is my favorite. In addition to heli, they do a bunch of touring - including sailboat supported. And Greenland too... There are a few modest lift served areas in Iceland - good for some kicks or for a lift boost for touring - as long as you go early-ish season. Access to Iceland is surprisingly easy and cheap. So travel cost and time overhead is minimized. As is logistical risk. I think next year will be #6 for me there....

Regarding Antarctica - I would not do it given the parameters given. Yeah, it'd be cool to ski there. But, for me, only as one slice of a trip.

The overhead to get to Antarctica is nuts. Getting there is time consuming and relatively expensive. If you don't build in some extra travel buffer you risk missing your boat. And remember that you spend a few days each way crossing the Drake on the boat as well.

Then there are the realities of Antarctica. It is unbelievably remote. If anyone gets a moderate or severe injury - the focus of the boat becomes evac. Which can be surprisingly hard to manage & time consuming. And not conducive to getting lots of laps in

For my .02 - if this is a one shot trip, Antarctica is a dicey bet to place. Yeah, things will likely go OK - but why spend half (or more) of your trip on the road (or water) and take the chance of any number of things nuking a ton of your skiing?

Again, I think skiing in Antarctica would be cool. But personally I'd only want to do it as part of a more diversified trip. And only if I'd be OK with the kinds of things that can require you to "adapt".
    I agree about Arctic Heli Skiing in Iceland. An all-time best skiing experience that I want to repeat soon.

Antarctica is still on my to-do list since I have a goal to ski on all seven continents.