Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Down Skis 2016/17 Pre-Season Sale - U.S. Group Buy?

We made this happen last year and, although not without minor glitches (e.g., total of ~$100 in custom fees), it worked out well. These guys have been uber generous with mags over the years. Anyone interested this year?

The lineup:

http://www.downskis.com/skis

Prices are 389E - 449E. The minimum order is 10 skis, and then we get free shipping to a point in the U.S. (though custom fees cancel that out), and 10% off (which basically means the E can be changed to a $). If the order is 15 skis, we can get free shipping to two locations. The prices for skis of this caliber are, IMHO, incredible.

Threads with info. on skis and co.:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...light=down+102

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ighlight=group

I am not a salesman (would suck at it anyway), customer service rep. (would doubly suck), or affiliated with Down or any ski co. in any way. Just a user, and I like their stuff and service.

Let me check that I'm understanding this correctly.

A Lowdown 90 is 419E -10% = 377E = 417 USD
    Plus approx $100 in customs fees.

Total price approx $520 then?

Pretty sure I'm in for a pair of Lowdown 90s if the above is correct.

Actually, it's a tad better -- the customs fee was about $12 - $15 per person (I wasn't clear about that -- we did three shipments last year and each of those shipments got hit with about $35-50 in custom fees), so you'd have the skis for ~$430.

The only other variable for cost is getting the skis to you. If we do one shipment to a point person in the U.S., we'd have to figure out distribution once the skis arrived to that person.

Awesome. Yeah, I'm in then.

I'm in for the Lowdown 102 and maybe the Countdown 114.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Anyone been on the 102 in 186? I think all the reviews are based on the 179 length.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Countdown 114.
    I got a pair in last seasons group buy. Excellent ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Not sure I'm getting any right now, but the offer to ship to my company for pnw or west coast people stands.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You own a pair of Freerides as well, correct? If so, could you compare?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Was in last year and dschane went above and beyond in the whole process. That is all.

count me in for one pair, possibly two pairs.

I am really interested in this ski, but am 6'4" and 205 lbs and not sure if it will be enough ski... Also, according to Blister they said the ski did not do real well in chop and crud... Input would be appreciated... For this price this ski seems like a no brainer...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Was in last year and dschane went above and beyond in the whole process. That is all.
    Thanks.

Who is going to man up and get the 202cm Showdowns? I am in for the 95mm Showdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    You own a pair of Freerides as well, correct? If so, could you compare?
    Freerides?

I have a pair of cd6s from a few years back and last year's cd114.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I am really interested in this ski, but am 6'4" and 205 lbs and not sure if it will be enough ski... Also, according to Blister they said the ski did not do real well in chop and crud... Input would be appreciated... For this price this ski seems like a no brainer...
    You're a lot taller and heavier than me. I'd actually like the 114s to be made a size smaller.

But they handle PNW chop and crud great.

Seem better made than my old cd6s. Beautifully prepared out of the box too. My ski store said they'd never seen a new ski prepped that well.

For the price you really can't go wrong

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468760344.531033.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  257.6 KB
    Fresh off the press new CD114. If you guys have any questions PM me or drop me a mail geo (at) downskis.com . The evolution of the production is amazing this year (like the comment about cd6 to new 107) and we are stoked to bring you more ski for the money.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468760344.531033.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  257.6 KB
    Fresh off the press new CD114. If you guys have any questions PM me or drop me a mail geo (at) downskis.com . The evolution of the production is amazing this year (like the comment about cd6 to new 107) and we are stoked to bring you more ski for the money.
    geo, when you get a chance could you throw up a rocker profile of that boy...?

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Anyone been on the 102 in 186? I think all the reviews are based on the 179 length.
    Yes, the 15/16 102s in 186 were my main touring ski all of last season. IMO best DOWN lightweight alround touring ski so far, with the possible exception of the 16/17 version. I have a prototype of those that I am hoping to try out this week. They are significantly stiffer than than 15/16 version with way less tail rocker. Both is good. The old ones were very versatile, very floaty for the width, more stable at speed than I would have expected at the weight. A bit too soft for my tastes and I was never a big fan of tail rocker on that type of ski. Those two points are just nitpicking, I love those skis.

Geo is the coolest and gives me skis from time to time, full disclosure.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    geo, when you get a chance could you throw up a rocker profile of that boy...?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468780269.184838.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	185114
    This is the 104 I have at my home right now....and as you can see a bbq pic. Very similar and will post up this 114 later in the week when I am at the factory giving the green light on final series. Camber will get a tad lower too.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Freerides?

I have a pair of cd6s from a few years back and last year's cd114.
    I meant Praxis Freerides, sorry.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Nope no praxis.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468780269.184838.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	185114
    This is the 104 I have at my home right now....and as you can see a bbq pic. Very similar and will post up this 114 later in the week when I am at the factory giving the green light on final series. Camber will get a tad lower too.
    Thanks geo and def dig that profile... For a 114 def think a lower camber profile will def be spot on... Am looking forward to the 114 profile when you have a chance to throw it up... I will def PM as I am really interested in the 114, but because of my size I am a little worried I might over power it...

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Yes, the 15/16 102s in 186 were my main touring ski all of last season. IMO best DOWN lightweight alround touring ski so far, with the possible exception of the 16/17 version. I have a prototype of those that I am hoping to try out this week. They are significantly stiffer than than 15/16 version with way less tail rocker. Both is good. The old ones were very versatile, very floaty for the width, more stable at speed than I would have expected at the weight. A bit too soft for my tastes and I was never a big fan of tail rocker on that type of ski. Those two points are just nitpicking, I love those skis.

Geo is the coolest and gives me skis from time to time, full disclosure.
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there were any updates. I'd love an update when you get on the 16/17 version.

Not much help here as I haven't tried the 114s. But, the Freerides and the CD107 (no longer in the line up) seem closer on paper, and in my limited experience, similar on snow too. Freerides have more tail rocker and more camber. The Down crew donated the pair of 107s I tried for the TGR collective. Last I recall, they are in Leavenworth Skier's hands. Won't help you much now, but if you're headed to winter in the other hemisphere any time soon, you might try to snag them from him unless he already passed them along.

Whats the Lowdown ski thats under development? Looks interesting...