Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Glad you like 'em, Thom. We should get out and make some turns next time I'm in your neighborhood and there's snow on the ground. I agree: Down offers just an insane value today in a world of $1k+ carbon skis.

Well...not exactly. The CD 102 is kind of the predecessor & compatriot to the Countdown 102 Light in that the CD102 is the same shape/rocker as the CD 102L but made in the a standard, carbon "Countdown" layup rather than the ultralight layup. That year (2014?), Down offered that same shape in two layups. The next year, Down nixed the standard layup and the shape became available in the YW8 102, which is now renamed the LD102.

I nitpick only because the CD107 -> CD104 is a totally different shape. And I think that confuses people a little bit since they were all in the "Countdown" line.
    Thanks for the clarification, auvgeek. Definitely some turns to be made together when there's snow on the ground.

I also edited my post above about skier stance. Looking further into their site, I see that the Throwdowns are center mounted.

My CD 102's (one gen. newer than Lindahl's, I believe) definitely need to be driven with the front of the boot.

Bottom line ... check in here with folks who have model specific experience about their attributes (doh!).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-21-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Geo, I noticed the LD102 gained some weight over the YW8. Wondering what changed and why? Is it closer in performance to the older CD102?

I have both the old CD4(CD102) and the CD102L(YW8).

I feel like I'm way late to the Down party, but the LowDown 102's seem perfect for a quiver of one touring ski. Count me in for a pair of 179 LowDown 102's with the pre-cut Contour skins (if there's a choice, I'd want the 70% Mohair/30% Nylon).

Thank you for organizing!

Excellent. We're now at 10 including the maybe's (and the 70/30 Mohair/Nylon is what they ship).

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Geo, I noticed the LD102 gained some weight over the YW8. Wondering what changed and why? Is it closer in performance to the older CD102?

I have both the old CD4(CD102) and the CD102L(YW8).
    They're stiffer, and a bit more damp, which leads to a little weight gain. Other changes (notably the rocker) lead to better hard snow/allround performance.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Whats the Lowdown ski thats under development? Looks interesting...
    A fatty tourer. That's all for now, don't want to detract from the skis we actually have... Hoping for a late 16/early 17 launch, but we need pow for testing revised protos.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Other changes (notably the rocker) lead to better hard snow/allround performance.
    The tip rocker on my CD102Ls is a quite long section of low-rise rocker. Are you increasing the length of the cambered section?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    The tip rocker on my CD102Ls is a quite long section of low-rise rocker. Are you increasing the length of the cambered section?
    Yes. There's a spec sheet for each model on the site. ☺️

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Attachment 185158
    Again quick backyard pics as this is what I have at Down hq.
    Hey thanks. Backyard pics are just fine by me! I hate to bother you again, but I'd love to see full length shots of the topsheets and rocker. Really helps me understand how much rocker, taper, etc there is if I can see the full ski in one shot. I realize you have detailed specs on the site, but it's still hard for me to visualize...even though I'm an engineer. And while we're at it, can you tell me what the flex is like? That button is broken on your site for the LD90. Also: You used to break the turn radius down into tip/mid/tail for the Countdowns. Do you still do that? If so, can I ask what it is for the LD90?

These seem to check a lot of boxes for my spring-touring ski, but I wasn't a huge fan of the CD102s (though the construction and "feel" were top notch). If it's too much work to post more pics and answer my detailed questions, that's fine—I'll just ask adrenalated if I can fondle his pair this winter.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Hey thanks. Backyard pics are just fine by me! I hate to bother you again, but I'd love to see full length shots of the topsheets and rocker. Really helps me understand how much rocker, taper, etc there is if I can see the full ski in one shot. I realize you have detailed specs on the site, but it's still hard for me to visualize...even though I'm an engineer. And while we're at it, can you tell me what the flex is like? That button is broken on your site for the LD90. Also: You used to break the turn radius down into tip/mid/tail for the Countdowns. Do you still do that? If so, can I ask what it is for the LD90?

Curious about these things too actually, though I'm still definitely in for a pair barring anything super weird.

I'll just ask adrenalated if I can fondle his pair this winter.
    Could at least buy me a drink before asking to fondle my sticks!

I realize my questions are a bit much, but I bought the CD102 sight unseen and it never worked for me. At least seeing the full rocker profile would help me decide.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Could at least buy me a drink before asking to fondle my sticks!
    Yeah...I'll give you a shout next time I'm in town.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

haha that meme holds a solid resemblance

I realize my questions are a bit much, but I bought the CD102 sight unseen and it never worked for me. At least seeing the full rocker profile would help me decide.
    Interesting. To each his own since, for me, the CD102 is my touring ski in most conditions, Praxis Rx carbon is my touring ski in deep or manky stuff, and the WY8 89 is my touring ski when I have to haul them 3 hours for 10 minutes of cheap thrills.

The LD 90 has a 29m, normal radial sidecut.

Of the current line, only the SD 105 and LD 102 have the more complex radial/elliptical sidecut of the cd3/cd102/102L/yw8. The reasoning being that a lighter touring ski with less pow focus should offer a bit more support in the tail and a more "normal" skiing feel.

The TD 105 and 125 have elliptical sidecuts, ie shorter at the tip and tail.

In the tip, the LD 90 is tapered for the last 212mm, while the tip is 260mm long. it has 1443mm of sidecut and the tail lifts for the last 154mm. the cambered section is 1347mm long.

Geo will have to supply pics. I have no production skis at hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469276810.218271.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	185347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469276824.949815.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	185348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469276836.183932.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	185349
    As requested. I just got back from the factory and 3 things. 1) specs will be spot on. Our new place is on and I cannot be more happy. You will be stoked. 2) flex is medium stiff on the ld series. 3)camber in pic is a little much and we made the adjustment. Will be to spec and shorter in length. FYI in the pic you get a little optical illusion with the rolled edge on the sidewall. Makes it look like the camber is longer.

Thanks again mags for the support and contact me anytime. G
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    The LD 90 has a 29m, normal radial sidecut.

Of the current line, only the SD 105 and LD 102 have the more complex radial/elliptical sidecut of the cd3/cd102/102L/yw8. The reasoning being that a lighter touring ski with less pow focus should offer a bit more support in the tail and a more "normal" skiing feel.
    Perfect!

And Geo—thanks so much! The new LD102 rocker looks much better than that of the CD102 I owned. The LD90 looks great, too.

Need to look at my finances before committing, but this is the first spring touring ski I've been stoked on since the PM Gear 179 Bro (which I was dumb enough not to purchase).

photos

Perfect!

And Geo—thanks so much! The new LD102 rocker looks much better than that of the CD102 I owned. The LD90 looks great, too.

Need to look at my finances before committing, but this is the first spring touring ski I've been stoked on since the PM Gear 179 Bro (which I was dumb enough not to purchase).
    Awesome and no issue. We are a direct to skier company so this is how it works. Saturday pics in the backyard work
    DOWN SKIS

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469291554.587872.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	185353
    And maybe the mag continent can do some testing on this too. I will drop a proto in the order for some feedback.
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    haha that meme holds a solid resemblance
    Too true

And maybe the mag continent can do some testing on this too. I will drop a proto in the order for some feedback.
    Excited to put some time on this! Whats the target weight?

Excited to put some time on this! Whats the target weight?
    ~2kg.

This pair 1939g to be exact for the dorks
    DOWN SKIS

Hell yeah, we'd be happy to.

Wish I had an excuse to order a pair...the lowdown series looks great! Build quality on my 102s was excellent, and it sounds like it's even better now.

Any hints on sidecut radius? LRC style?