Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084

    The Crash Thread

    To take it out of the go forth and ride thread...

    Seems I jinxed myself in there, as last night I had not one but two big wrecks. First one rung my bell good, but left me otherwise unscathed (and helmet had nary a scuff). Second one got me good, huge contusion on my thigh and some mashed fingers. Feeling better today but last night was rough. Nothing really hurts today, but leg is stiff and fingers are swollen/stiff. Trying to decide if I should spend the hundreds to go get xrays.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    971
    Were you going fast enough?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,700
    This was from the other day but went off trail and landed in this lovely pile of wildflowers.
    Got a little black and bluing but couldn't help but lay there and laugh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468527891.778791.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	760.9 KB 
ID:	185053

    Hope you feel better danno. Ouch
    Your finger pic from the other thread was also thoroughly disgusting
    skid luxury

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,373
    tilt shift filter?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,700
    Yea I instagrammed that one and enhanced the flowers a bit
    skid luxury

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Were you going fast enough?
    Obviously not!

    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Hope you feel better danno. Ouch
    Your finger pic from the other thread was also thoroughly disgusting
    Thanks. I jacked up that finger last night again. But I think it's just a flesh wound.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,674
    My big damage so far this year was on the 3rd, I cam around a corner and a branch was sticking into the trail and it almost went all the way through my thumb. Otherwise it's been a mostly uneventful season which is unusual.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,784
    This will sound very lame, but my biggest crash lately was while walking my dog on a very tame trail. Some guy was lost and asked me for directions. That distracted my attention and I tripped over a rock. Next moments were in slow motion as I watched the dirt come up to meet my face. I had to walk 2 miles with blood streaming down my face to get back to the car.

    I got new glasses out of the deal.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    293
    This is a screen grab from my chesty chinese knock-off gopro from a fall on Monday night. If you look closely, you can see the exposed area on my right knee/thigh that I smash into the rock. Had to go get stitches and am on the DL for another week. Could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been wearing a ff and pads, but still dumb nonetheless. Gotta tighten up my knee pads and stop being a klutz!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot 1 (7-15-2016 9-46 PM).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	185091

    PS: was riding this trail in Phoenix having an absolute blast: http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...363/sspomer,2#

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    2,842
    I road-bike crashed last December. Slid out my front wheel on a damp corner at about 30 mph. Shattered my helmet. Shattered my collarbone.

    Got a new helmet, 2 titanium plates, and about a dozen screws. I think I'll keep the helmet, but the plates and screws have gotta go.

    My wife & kids still haven't forgiven me for pre-empting the holiday heli-ski trip.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,896
    I'll play. Last sunday I was descending on a rocky double track when my front tire slid out and I slammed into a bunch of baby head rocks. Strava tells me I was going about 26 mph. The doctors tell me I broke my clavicle, scapula, and six ribs, and punctured a lung. Fuckballs! Got the clavicle plated yesterday. Not looking forward to the nerve block wearing off.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'll play. Last sunday I was descending on a rocky double track when my front tire slid out and I slammed into a bunch of baby head rocks. Strava tells me I was going about 26 mph. The doctors tell me I broke my clavicle, scapula, and six ribs, and punctured a lung. Fuckballs! Got the clavicle plated yesterday. Not looking forward to the nerve block wearing off.
    I had a similar wreck a couple of years ago. Cracked my pelvis too. I've decided that going slower might be a good idea. At 55 things don't heal quite as well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'll play. Last sunday I was descending on a rocky double track when my front tire slid out and I slammed into a bunch of baby head rocks. Strava tells me I was going about 26 mph. The doctors tell me I broke my clavicle, scapula, and six ribs, and punctured a lung. Fuckballs! Got the clavicle plated yesterday. Not looking forward to the nerve block wearing off.
    Wow -- sorry to hear about that. Good luck with the recovery. My only advice is try not to get down if it takes longer than you think it should.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,084
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'll play. Last sunday I was descending on a rocky double track when my front tire slid out and I slammed into a bunch of baby head rocks. Strava tells me I was going about 26 mph. The doctors tell me I broke my clavicle, scapula, and six ribs, and punctured a lung. Fuckballs! Got the clavicle plated yesterday. Not looking forward to the nerve block wearing off.
    Damn dude. That sounds painful. IIRC, this isn't your first rodeo in the crash/injury department, but shit, that does not sound like fun.

    My fingers are swollen and stiff from my crash, but still don't hurt, which I'm assuming means I'm ok.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,674
    I gotta stay out of this thread. You guys are a bad influence

    Beaterd and the Suit - Healing vibes headed your way.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,220
    There was a little wind at the Tour yesterday that made the choice of disc wheel kinda a bad one ... first guy made it out without much damage. Second one busted vertebra.




  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,674
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    There was a little wind at the Tour yesterday that made the choice of disc wheel kinda a bad one ... first guy made it out without much damage.

    That must've been scary.

    First time I went to Moab it was so windy over this one ridge that we had to crawl and hold our bikes by the top tube as they flailed in the wind like a sheet on a clothesline. One tough guy thought he could handle it upright and took a 30 foot dive off the edge of a cliff necessitating a helicopter medevac.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,896
    Thanks for the thoughts Dudes. From the imaging, it looks like my shoulder's OK. Hopefully will be a pretty straightforward recovery.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 3.49.38 PM.png
Views: 366
Size:  288.2 KB

    Suit is your shoulder OK? You all good now?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,370
    ouch ouch ouch.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts Dudes. From the imaging, it looks like my shoulder's OK. Hopefully will be a pretty straightforward recovery.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 3.49.38 PM.png
Views: 366
Size:  288.2 KB

    Suit is your shoulder OK? You all good now?
    It's OK, but not all the way back. One of the plates on my clavicle extends over the AC joint, so the plate actually makes contact with the acromion. I'm won't be pain-free or have full range of motion until the hardware is removed. The surgeon wants me to hold out for 12 months, but I will get it removed at 10 months so I can recover from that surgery in time for ski season.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,419
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    This was from the other day but went off trail and landed in this lovely pile of wildflowers.
    Got a little black and bluing but couldn't help but lay there and laugh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468527891.778791.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	760.9 KB 
ID:	185053

    SING dammit, SING!!!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,700

    The Crash Thread

    I wish you all a wildflower pillow to land in
    Had a shoulder injury that put me out for the end of last season and it stinks so vibes to all those with injuries (sam especially )
    skid luxury

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,443
    Man, you guys are giving me some serious perspective. I've got two collarbone fractures in 12 months. Both simple OTB on my mountain bikes. I just bought a Leatt neck brace since I seem to focus most of my crashing energy in the high rent district. Having a hard time getting used to that.


    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    This will sound very lame, but my biggest crash lately was while walking my dog on a very tame trail. Some guy was lost and asked me for directions. That distracted my attention and I tripped over a rock. Next moments were in slow motion as I watched the dirt come up to meet my face. I had to walk 2 miles with blood streaming down my face to get back to the car.
    I got new glasses out of the deal.
    That blows. Buddy of mine who rages and seemed indestructible was walking around a pond while on vacation. He stepped over a mud puddle and when his foot sunk in on the other side it broke his patellar plateau. 2 years and 3 or 4 surgeries later and he's still gimping around. Looks like the most recent surgery is a little fucked too, so the end is not in sight for him.


    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    That must've been scary.
    First time I went to Moab it was so windy over this one ridge that we had to crawl and hold our bikes by the top tube as they flailed in the wind like a sheet on a clothesline. One tough guy thought he could handle it upright and took a 30 foot dive off the edge of a cliff necessitating a helicopter medevac.
    Just curious, how does the helicopter rescue work when it's so windy out?
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Suit is your shoulder OK? You all good now?
    I busted my right clavicle and scapula dirt jumping in Draper the day after Thanksgiving. Big displacement with moderate comminution got me a plate and seven screws. I was cautiously back on my bike by mid-March but had to be careful. Basically 100% now though. Get out of the sling as soon as they'll let you and be super diligent about your PT those first couple months so you avoid frozen shoulder syndrome. Bone growth just takes time so weight bearing activities take months to get back to, but you can be working on your ROM within a couple weeks.

    What's that other piece of hardware near the top of your x-ray? Who did your surgery? If it was Widmer, say hi for me!
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-21-2016 at 11:42 AM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,674
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That blows. Buddy of mine who rages and seemed indestructible was walking around a pond while on vacation. He stepped over a mud puddle and when his foot sunk in on the other side it broke his patellar plateau. 2 years and 3 or 4 surgeries later and he's still gimping around. Looks like the most recent surgery is a little fucked too, so the end is not in sight for him.


    Just curious, how does the helicopter rescue work when it's so windy out?
    Ouch!

    We were long since back in town by the time they got him to the hospital but heard that they dropped a basket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •