Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Originally posted by funkendrenchman:
    <STRONG>This sounds like a great idea, but i have a question - how are the JONGS going to find our site? Eventually, we are going to need new people to join our community. Where could we advertise it so new people would actually go there?</STRONG>
    Send out stickers to paying members?

Link/banner swapping with other ski industry sites?
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Originally posted by optics:
    Who would run it? Just get it set up, let it run itself. Judging by the number of maggots who run their own sites, it wouldn't be a problem to get a few spare hours donated tot the cause. Maintenance only did harm over yonder.
    We would. Maintenance is something that has to be done every once in a while. Even more so, we would now be able to make changes we want, instead of being dependant on what others do.

I like the idea of free viewing, small (one-time) fee to upload, if you want instants, all that.

Summitco- your statement that having to go through the hassle of paying would keep people away shows how ridiculously unfamiliar you are with this/that community.
    I see a system where you can register for free and 'buy' certain updates, thus making a truly pay-for-use-system.

changeforanickel.com is unregistered, btw.[/QB]
    And we have a winner

Sounds like a good idea. While Owens indeed kicks ass, some of the other guys in the flick bidness can't or won't make the move over here. I think Slip mentioned this on that other site. Makes sense that they don't want to advertise on their competitor's site, cause that ain't cool, but it would be a bummer to lose them.
    Count me in.

I'll support you guys in whatever you want to do. I gotta say, It's nice to have you all here though.

We can do this two ways - You can develop something new, or I can work with you on features you'd like to see added here. I currently have three sites that all have public photo upload needs so that one is coming soon. We already serve about 400 gigs a month so the forum bandwidth doesn't really phaze me. It's nothing.

As far as other film compnaies go, I'm all for freedom of speech. Other good film companies just make the industry as a whole look better. No animosity. This is your forum - not mine. All are welcome. Just let me know how I can make it better.
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

I'm in doubt. At the one hand, we should all acknowlegde that owens rocks! On the other hand, it might be easier to generate everything we want starting from scratch.

Whichever option we choose, let it be clear that Owens rules and that we're not attempting to lure people away from the tgr-board. We're just trying to make the world an easier place, without Primedia hassle.

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: AH ]

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th

I think this looks pretty good here. Ok actually the graphics don't really do it for me but it feels pretty good.
    Once again I'm impressed with the attitude TGR and Owens in particular have taken here. Just like I was impressed by what I think is their leading role in avalanche education. Don't know any other ski film outfits or magazines for that matter bothering with that.
    If consensus is to go elsewhere again, fine. Just make paying easy and secure. Paypal is probably best but I don't know what the service costs. But I tend to think if TGR is glad to have us, I'm glad to be here.

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: L7 ]
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Alright, I made the switch. I've always wanted to post over here anyway, but since we all posted at powmag I never bothered.
    "Whoever said skiing on fat skis is like having sex with a fat chick, has obviously never had sex with a fat chick." -Jack Handy

This is a fantastic idea.

Changeforanickel.com is good, but I'd suggest coming up with something that says something about skiing in the title to attract those who might not realize the meaning behind that statement at first, particularly if we are trying to attract enough people to pay for itself. However someone brought up a good point in that there are more than enough of us to be self-sufficient.

We could give a nod to an old feature in Powder that I'm sure many of us loved:

graupel.com

Or keep it simple with
    powdermaggots.com

My $0.02.....no matter what it is called, it is a GREAT idea. I'm in.

Originally posted by Owens Never Sleeps:
    <STRONG>I'll support you guys in whatever you want to do. I gotta say, It's nice to have you all here though.

We can do this two ways - You can develop something new, or I can work with you on features you'd like to see added here. I currently have three sites that all have public photo upload needs so that one is coming soon. We already serve about 400 gigs a month so the forum bandwidth doesn't really phaze me. It's nothing.

As far as other film compnaies go, I'm all for freedom of speech. Other good film companies just make the industry as a whole look better. No animosity. This is your forum - not mine. All are welcome. Just let me know how I can make it better.</STRONG>

Fuckin' A, ONS is the man! I say we do it here because ONS has always been good to us, posting stoke and answering questions, etc. It's his time to shine!

Who's with me?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Exclamation

Let's not look beyond Owens' generosity, either.

I think this could be structured (I think) within the TGR site, like a community area. If you login, you get your own page of personalized links, news, snow reports, maybe airfares from the midwest, etc, Yahoo!-style.

I'd make it my homepage, fer sure.

Edit: Rev's got it.

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Cornholio ]
    It's idomatic, beatch.

If Owens is into the idea, I am too.

I feel a little like we're sipping off his pitcher, somehow it's more noticeable with a small business than with Primevil.

That said, the collectif brought a fair amount of attention to the mag, and I say we could do the same for TGR. They bring me more stoke than powmag these days, and they give a shit.

Originally posted by The Reverend Floater:
    <STRONG>

Fuckin' A, ONS is the man! I say we do it here because ONS has always been good to us, posting stoke and answering questions, etc. It's his time to shine!

Who's with me?</STRONG>
    I hear you, but we should think about this : Can we do all the things we would want over here? Regardless of ONS, this still is, and always will be, TGR's board. And however cool TGR may be (thanks for the free hat and avy-education guys ), it should reflect the business-view of TGR, thus making it less usefull as a full-maggot-community.

I'm not out to divide the maggots, if anything, we should stick together right now. ONS mentioned earlier he wanted to cooperate on this, with hosting, developing and helping, so he deserves props whichever way it goes..

Talking

Good point. IF we were to embark on a maggot-specific realm, I seem to recall that Owens is in the web business, in addition to heli-skiing now, and he might have an interest in being contracted to design and build said maggot site. It would still be his site, and would be financially beneficial to him as well.

I, for one, will invest in the co-op if it happens. Otherwise, I have always maintained my allegiance to this forum as well as our old spot, and will continue to regardless.

One question: I see a few double-digit member #'s, but then a huge gap to the 200's. Where are all those other members? Defunct? Owens, do Dirk, Todd, Steve, Jeremy, Micah, T-Moe, and all the rest of da crew hang here? Will they now?

I'll shut up now

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Karl Stall ]
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thumbs up

Free hats? Well hell - let's stay HERE!

btw: Talking to my BOSS, who's a complete & total Linux-head....And he may just be goofy enough to let us have a large chuck of his bandwidth & storage...Details to follow, unless the Collective (snowcollective.com / powcollective.com is also available) decides this would be an ample & able home..
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

What if we could find some way to come together on this? Not create the community inside the tgr-site, but next to it (kind of like using the backdoor to get in the same house). Somewhat less direct connected to TGR, to give others a chance to join in.

ONS and TGR would still get the traffic and the community, and we would get our 'own' place to web in, making it easier for slip et al to join in (I can imagine their problem, even with tgr being cool and all that)

Details would need to be worked out, but i'm sure something can be arranged here?

Yes.

I recall back when the Sept Powder came out, to many poor reviews, there was a lot of discussion about how the community could help out the mag. There was certainly a lot of interest in doing something more with this energy. We wanted to be more than we were.

Now, another, much more traumatic event has occurred, the great board rape of '03, and I think the picture is a lot clearer. Powder, sad as it is to say, is dying. It was great, but it is old, tired and dying. But it has spawned something young, vibrant, and alive. And this new thing (community? collective? group stoke fest?) is bigger than Powder, bigger than Primedia, and (all due respect to ONS) bigger than TGR. We know it is bigger because it straining at its chains, trying to break out of its bulletin board cradle, travelling across the net in search of a true home.

Now, we can continue leaching of corporate parents (again, props and respect to ONS and this particular coporate parent, which is way cooler) forever limited by the confines of space not built for us, or...

... we can step out on our own, into a new world, one made by Maggots, run by Maggots, and thoroughly, permanently, infested by Maggots.

powdermag.com will always be the birthplace, and TGR an invaluable friend in a difficult time, but here, right now, in this thread, the new world can be born.

Carpe diem, or it will pass us by!
    More words?

1. You would need a host willing to install/support UBB. Not all do or will.

2. You need a moderator. Now, sure powder (and this place) say "moderated by: no one" but that's not quite true. When tubgirl started showing up in all the powdermag threads, SOMEONE had to go clean out all of those posts. SOMEONE had to ban CWB and all of his aliases. That person needs to be around MOST of the time to handle these issues.

Just things to consider...

Originally posted by joshbu:
    1. You would need a host willing to install/support UBB. Not all do or will.
    We need a host that supports mysql and php, that is all. There's plenty of packages readily available for free that do the same trick ubb does, and more (phpbb for instance)

2. You need a moderator. Now, sure powder (and this place) say "moderated by: no one" but that's not quite true. When tubgirl started showing up in all the powdermag threads, SOMEONE had to go clean out all of those posts. SOMEONE had to ban CWB and all of his aliases. That person needs to be around MOST of the time to handle these issues.

Just things to consider...[/QB]
    Jep, there needs to be a moderator, but i'm sure we can find a way to a decent solution. eg. This board is moderated by ons, and he's doing a fine job..

Can you display IPs and randomly moderate the thing using an anal probe from time to time? I've come to expect that and it just wouldn't be the same without.

Let's do this: You guys come up with a concise list of features you would like to have for yourselves as a community. Otherwise this will be a rambling non-goal oriented conversation.

Then we can look at what I can provide either through TGR or as a side entity (from my perspective one pronged development is easier to build and manage than two pronged) and how I can leverage those needs to help TGR out as well.

As a general rule, the final product is going to be somewhat different than anything we come up with here, just as a natural product of evolution.

Once a concise list is in place we can identify necessary resources, costs, etc... In the end, I think you might find that we (TGR) are willing to absorb cost and resources in order to receive the benefit of community presence while allowing for evolution on your own terms. At the same time the community may stand to benefit from our ability to bring in continual new blood.
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

Sounds like a good deal, as long as the maggots stay in control. That's the one thing that is vital, given the recent developments. I'll edit my first post to keep the list of demands updated, ok? btw, you needn't develop all this stuff, there's some good webdevelopers here who are willing to help.

updated first post

I think it would be great. I am of no use in the tech / building phase but I would be a proud supporter of such a project.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Thumbs up

jah dood. raaaaaaad.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Seriously, ONS seems more than happy to try to get us everything that we need (for me the board itself is basically enough). I don't see the need for another site and potentially further fragmentation/dilution of the maggots.
    [quote][//quote]