Stupid Question For Non-Fly Guys

I'm heading to PR next month. Not much to do other than fish and drink(no surfing this time of year), so I'm going to fish and drink. Step-son is one year into his stay in the States, used to fishing with a hand line. He broke a cheap spinning rod last Fall, and given that it was entering steelhead season, we didn't replace it. I'd like to give him the chance to fish in PR, with me. Any suggestions on gear? I don't want him hooking a big fish on accident, and getting pulled into the water. Lower # line? Any recommendations for lures/bait? I'm guessing if I'm fishing a shallow flat, he needs lures that float? We are improving our relationship, and teaching him to fly fish is not good for this trip. Also, my favorite switch rod was recently broken, mysteriously, so that's off the table.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

For a cheap, rather bullet proof rod, look at the Penn Battle rod/reel combo. A 4000 Reel will handle up to a 25 pound striper without much difficulty. About $125 for the combo. You can drop down to the Fierce combo for under $100.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Help to make your post stand new.

a two piece rod rated for line 10-15lbs and up to 1 oz should be fine. okuma makes some decent travel rods.

I would fish rubber baits with a small 1/4 or 1/18 oz jig head. White, pink and chartruese.

How old is the kid?

He's 9. I found some guys fishing off a bridge with bait and deep sea gear. Got a few pointers. Seems like gear is hard to find... Shame the kid doesn't drink.

If he can cast, I would say a small spin rod and fishing off the beach is the way to go, lots of jacks, snappers and other "trash" fish to catch from shore. Bridge fishing is boring as fuck for a kid..

I fish off a pier with this:
    Redbone
    RDB-761MHS

7'6" 10-20 medium to heavy action.
    http://www.redboneperformance2.com/r...e/inshore-rods

We catch this with them:

Use the least amount of weight you can to get a live shrimp down to the bottom. Use a 1/0 hook, and use Power Pro or similar braided line.

Most pier fishing is done with huge triangle weights and surf casting rods. Those guys miss more fish than the know. The fish won't take the bait when they feel all that weight.