Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Yeah but you used to be able to see 'my results' for any given segment and it shows you all your attempts in one place. Now you'd have to remember every time you rode a segment, open up the individual rides in a ton of browser tabs...not simple anymore.
    I grabbed a 60-day free trial through the app for now. Given Strava's backpedaling the other times they've tried changing up their paid offerings, maybe the situation will be different by the time my trial ends. Or maybe Trailforks, which has been very aggressive/progressive with feature rollouts, will just develop its own leaderboards and finish taking over this segment of the app market.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Exactly what I was talking about. I've got no interest in if I'm 1084th or 1085th on "Gettin' Rad" but I'd like to still be able to see if that was my personal 3rd fastest time and how it stacked up to my other 20 times.

Turns out at least the data export was easy . Thanks for the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Or maybe Trailforks, which has been very aggressive/progressive with feature rollouts, will just develop its own leaderboards and finish taking over this segment of the app market.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    They wonít. They still rely on Strava data for the vast majority of their ridelogs, so they wonít threaten that data source by becoming a competitor.

I seem to still have access to "My results", but maybe this will disappear too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200527-072944_Strava.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	329884

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post

Mine was showing like that (3 or 4 results), but even for segments I'd ridden dozens of times. That's why they stuck the "subscribe" button at the top.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    After freeloading for 8 years, almost proud of not subscribing, this latest change forced me to sign up. I realized I actually enjoy seeing leaderboards, 'racing' my pals, and having the tidy view of my own results. $60 a year works out to about $0.01 to $0.02 per riding mile for me, or one small gear/accessory purchase. I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post

Not sure it will disappear, but they no longer show the comparison for you in the free version. It may all be there, but you have to figure it out yourself.

I was complaining about this with my trail run partner today (he's a subscriber). It's my birthday on Friday so he gifted me a subscription. Now I see tons of stuff I never knew it did and I still don't really care. Hey, at least I'll be able to see my results for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    After freeloading for 8 years, almost proud of not subscribing, this latest change forced me to sign up. I realized I actually enjoy seeing leaderboards, 'racing' my pals, and having the tidy view of my own results. $60 a year works out to about $0.01 to $0.02 per riding mile for me, or one small gear/accessory purchase. I'm ok with that.
    Yeah, that's basically my take. I still don't pay for it, because I'm not sure I really care. But it's a free app with significant functionality and no ads. It's kinda tough to bitch about a minor reduction in the free features.

I subscribed a few years ago to support all you moochers... Iím still slow, so I pad your results too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I subscribed a few years ago to support all you moochers... Iím still slow, so I pad your results too
    High quality.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I use it for the social aspect, mostly. I am in the best cycling shape I have been in in decades, and it has been fun getting a few DH KOM’s and trophies at 53. (one of them on a 22 minute DH in Colorado). The ‘attaboys’ are highly motivating to give and receive. This month I have gotten 45 achievements, which is a little addicting.
    I tend to ride longer rides faster when I am dork-logging, which is ultimately better if I am not ‘training’. (Meaning, not riding fast).
    Probably as I get slower I might lose interest, but for now it is a valuable tool. Especially coming off of a knee replacement.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

I sprung for the paid version a couple years ago when my GF was on a road trip and riding solo in CO. Stravaís Beacon was the easiest and fastest way to get some kind of ride tracking. Now I have a Garmin watch, but I can afford the $60/year and Iím used to it. The paid version also let me download other usersí rides as GPX files, and that helped me build out some unmapped regions in Trailforks.

I've been on the paid version since 2015. In my opinion it's a very small price to pay to the service they provide.

Ok, so on a short little evening spin, I rode the same ride I have ridden many times. But Strava only found four segments out of what should have been a dozen. What gives? Is there any chance of playing with the ride data on the website in order to get it to find them?
    Here is an example (one of the most popular riding areas in Jackson).

https://strava.app.link/NysYqdDbV6

Thoughts?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I've been on the paid version since 2015. In my opinion it's a very small price to pay to the service they provide.
    Was there one service that tipped it for you? I use Strava to just log what Iíve done over the years. While Iíve gone from a polar to a Suunto back to polar and just ordered a Garmin- they all have most of the functionality on their apps but I canít be bothered to try and port historic data from one to the other. Strava is nice because it works with any device fairly seamlessly.

So what was the tipping point for you that made it worth the $ to buy in?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Was there one service that tipped it for you? I use Strava to just log what I’ve done over the years. While I’ve gone from a polar to a Suunto back to polar and just ordered a Garmin- they all have most of the functionality on their apps but I can’t be bothered to try and port historic data from one to the other. Strava is nice because it works with any device fairly seamlessly.

So what was the tipping point for you that made it worth the $ to buy in?
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 945, Garmin inReach Mini, and Garmin software, so I get all of the training tools and biodata/analytics and ride tracking/beacon. I can still see how I did in Strava on a segment vs my previous efforts.

For me the subscription only adds the ability to compare my times to other people. That's not worth $60 a year to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, so on a short little evening spin, I rode the same ride I have ridden many times. But Strava only found four segments out of what should have been a dozen. What gives? Is there any chance of playing with the ride data on the website in order to get it to find them?

Thoughts?
    Sometimes strava just misses segments. GPS is off and it thinks you have ridden something different. You can check this at the bottom of the segments list (i think only on desktop atm) by clicking on Don't see the segment you are looking for. It will show you all the potential segments, and when you select the one you are looking for it will show you deviation etc.

Stupid mapping question here - my ride yesterday was 3100 vert on Strava. But if I plug that same route into Gaia GPS it says it’s 5500 vert. I get each program is going to be a bit different, but that discrepancy is massive. Any ideas?

Look closely at the track on Gaia, see if a random waypoint got tagged up a hillside, sometimes happens in valleys. I think that Strava will correct those to a known trail and thus bring that waypoint back to reality.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Question for the Strava folks

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Stupid mapping question here - my ride yesterday was 3100 vert on Strava. But if I plug that same route into Gaia GPS it says itís 5500 vert. I get each program is going to be a bit different, but that discrepancy is massive. Any ideas?
    Hit the the blue, elevation ? Under the vert climbed number. When that comes up hit, correct elevation, then refresh it a couple of times, it should readjust to a number closer to what your head unit comes up with.
    Last edited by buttahflake; 06-01-2020 at 04:14 AM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Stupid mapping question here - my ride yesterday was 3100 vert on Strava. But if I plug that same route into Gaia GPS it says itís 5500 vert. I get each program is going to be a bit different, but that discrepancy is massive. Any ideas?
    Aside from what was said above, sometimes rides with lots of little ups and downs will have significant discrepancies in different programs, depending on that program's cut off for recognizing a change in elevation. Strava, I believe, only recognizes vertical changes of 30 feet or more. But some other programs record changes of .5 feet. Particularly on flatter rides with little rolls, this can add up to a big discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Hit the the blue, elevation ? Under the vert climbed number. When that comes up hit, correct elevation, then refresh it a couple of times, it should readjust to a number closer to what your head unit comes up with.
    Note that this sometimes can result in a lower elevation than the original, which you can then undo using the same process if desired.

Thanks guys - I put the same ride into ridewithgps and it matched Stava's numbers pretty closely. I think the issue lies with Gaia (or my use of Gaia)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Thoughts?
    Had the same thing happen to me today on Corral Loop. Last week the first segment was called Upper Corral to bridge at .66 mi. Today it was called Corral- 1st Half at 1.0 miles. But on the map it was maybe 200 yards longer

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Had the same thing happen to me today on Corral Loop. Last week the first segment was called Upper Corral to bridge at .66 mi. Today it was called Corral- 1st Half at 1.0 miles. But on the map it was maybe 200 yards longer

there are probably multiple similar segments. If you click the "hidden segments" link at the bottom of your segment list for the activity, I bet you'll see the others. I haven't divined the algorithm Strava uses to decide whether a segment is bucketed as hidden or gets promoted, maybe a combination of popularity and how well you did on it? Regardless, I'm guessing if you go back to your activity and check, between the normal and hidden segment lists, you'll see both of your Corral segments.