Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question for the Strava folks

I was recently told about the thermal or heat map, what I also heard is even if the Strava is not turned on it will still record your ride or activity and save it on the heat map. Is this so?

I zoomed in on the map and you can even see single rides.

Seems like it would be tipping the cards if you took the phone on a trail building trip and it showed where you went.
    watch out for snakes

Strava uses the gps function on your phone. I don't see how it would be that accurate (or even functional) creating a decent track of your movement just using cell tower triangulation, assuming you're not using your location functionality on the phone itself.

So I think: gps off = useless strava

Sitting in the same place for hours might be a different story.

Regardless, strava should not be inadvertently logging your every position when it's off. That would make every single building/car ride/train ride/etc where someone has a cellphone light up like a beyotch. That doesn't make any sense. You'd see airline flights all over the place if that were true.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

How would it know the difference between riding my bike through the city, or driving my car through the city (which happen at similar speeds in many urban places), and choosing which one to record on the heat map?

I call BS on that.

Kinda what I thought but a couple of my friends are really paranoid about it.

I guess a way to test it is to go some where remote and ride oar tromp around to see if it would register on the map.
    watch out for snakes

I guarantee you it is not. At least on an Iphone if an app is using location services it will show up in the top bar.

Plus your battery life would be abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    I guarantee you it is not. At least on an Iphone if an app is using location services it will show up in the top bar.
    Good thinking. That's true of an Android phone as well, at least for 3rd party apps (Google stalks you and I'm not positive that appears in the top bar).

In any case, the obvious solution for scottyb's tinfoil friends is for them to uninstall Strava.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Kinda what I thought but a couple of my friends are really paranoid about it.

Tis the crop you reap when choosing to use that abomination. It's really only fair
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Does Strava tell you if you could have used roller blades?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    In any case, the obvious solution for scottyb's tinfoil friends is for them to uninstall Strava.
    Or just turn the phone off.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Tis the crop you reap when choosing to use that abomination. It's really only fair
    I know all of the cool kids hate Strava, but I'm still not quite sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I know all of the cool kids hate Strava, but I'm still not quite sure why.
    In the context of this thread, Strava has been directly responsible for the discovery and closure of rogue trails. There have also been instances where land managers closed previously legal trails to bikes after seeing the speeds Strava users were recording on said trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    dumbasses using Strava have been directly responsible for the discovery and closure of rogue trails.
    FIFY

^Both correct.

It has nothing to do with being a 'cool kid' and everything to do with having hard work lost because of people who never did any. And it's not just rogue trails either.

You live in West Virginia, your people aren't known for their intelligence.
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

In the context of this thread, Strava has been directly responsible for the discovery and closure of rogue trails. There have also been instances where land managers closed previously legal trails to bikes after seeing the speeds Strava users were recording on said trails.
    Yep, nailed it.

So, what GPS unit would be a good alternative to the S site and still give me the same basic data and support a topo mappy function?
    watch out for snakes

Yep, nailed it.

So, what GPS unit would be a good alternative to the S site and still give me the same basic data and support a topo mappy function?
    Pretty much all of them create files you can use with google earth or the topo! program. The topo! stuff is expensive though. And you feel like an idiot typing topo! because people think you're trying to shout in the middle of a sentence.

You can use strava too. It's free, it's easy, just turn the damn thing off when you're not on public trails. This seems to be the hard part for most people.

Yep, nailed it.

One of the number of topo map apps. For Android I use Backcountry Navigator Pro. Not free, but cheap. Gaia is highly rated on both platforms.

Exporting a gpx file and uploading it into caltopo is the best mapping function around.

But you won't get your KOM, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Turn off Strava or my phone?
    Surly you jest.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

When will strava be able to log my dumps?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    When will strava be able to log my dumps?
    Lol, have you seen Total Recall?
    watch out for snakes

Thx folks, i will check out those gps apps.
    watch out for snakes

Slight drift, but does anyone know of an app that will put a live GPS point / track over a pdf?

I have a map I've been developing for the local area (vietnam) and it's great on paper, but would be even better if I could use the GPS on it for the rare occasion that I get turned around and don't know exactly where I am...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Slight drift, but does anyone know of an app that will put a live GPS point / track over a pdf?

I have a map I've been developing for the local area (vietnam) and it's great on paper, but would be even better if I could use the GPS on it for the rare occasion that I get turned around and don't know exactly where I am...
    try "PDF Maps". The PDF needs to have the right data built in, but when it does it works awesome.

How to keep Strava stuff from showing up on heatmaps -

1.) Go into settings > privacy.
    2.) Scroll down to "Strava Metro & Heatmap"
    3.) Uncheck the box next to "Include my anonymized public activity data in Strava Metro and the Heatmap."
    4.) Make sure any rides you do in networks that are on private land are checked as "private" before you upload them, or better yet, just don't use Strava when riding on those networks.
    5.) Tell your friends to do this as well.

Could you share any information about closures related to Strava speeds/etc? I could really use that.
    Thanks