Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^ uh oh do I need to bring a chaperone to the club with me??
    skid luxury

These Dead shows, are they any good without Phil? And Bruce. He's awesome. The lineup sounds like a recipe for too much Bobby.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I am pretty sure the first person I met was Kevino, although it was from TAY, and not here... I did not want to ski with him because he was 23, and I was 30, maybe 31 at the time but eventually did.

We met in Ellensburg and skied at Blewett pass and he was soo fast and smooth.. swoosh, swoosh as I was clank, clank, rattle, splat.

I think it was only my second time skinning and he was super nice even though probably disappointed in my lacking of ability and other attributes...

I've met lots of solid Mags around the Tetons. Visitors and locals.
    I'm in for BBI Tetons and a Deadco meet up. That'd be fall for me tho.

Lots of greater jellystone mini summits happen durning the fishing months. Have shared water and boats with some fantastic folks.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Hey I'm no home wrecker. Actually they are all yours. I am saving my east coast run to try and hit Ullrfest this year.
    That's a fine move... Limo services and fine dining await.

I wanted to say regarding mag meetings, that I've never gone thru a bottle of whiskey as fast as the one Tippster, friend, SFB and I went thru at Sillytude. I'm pretty sure it was gone in less than 5 minutes once opened?! Maybe less?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

met tons of maggots over the years. some are close friends. but most were TTipsters before they were mags. As teletips waned in my eyes and this place became my only ski forum home, I was also having a kid and stuff, changing my life to less meetup friendly style.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Met a lot of mags over the years. Most cool, some crazy.

Lots of madness following people into zones I had no business being in.

Now I have young kids and don't ski very much. Hopefully at least see some east coasters around sometime soon.

The first person I met from the "internet" was Anxious Mo-Fo, aka Jamesdeluxe. He told me about Powdermag and Epic, I settled into Powmag and soon afterwards Meatdrink9 posted that they were going to Mt. Hood in August and anyone that wanted to ride along was welcome. I drove up to Brigham City and loaded into a motorhome with GT40, Meatdrink, Meat's of evil, Backpack, and Frozenwater. We drove the 12 hours to Hood, crashed for the night and pulled up to Timberline the next morning. As we poured out of the motorhome a Jeep pulls up and a dude jumps out, "Heeeeeyyyyy Maaaaaannnnnn", and of course had to be Splat.

Holy fuck, it's been a wild ride since then. I've met hundreds of folks from this board, been to multiple summits, multiple minis, too many parties, Being in Utah I meet a lot of people passing through. The last few years I've kinda gotten low key. I usually ride with the same folks every weekend and haven't met too many new folks. But, I'm heading out to Fontenelle Friday morning to meet up with one of my favorite folks I ride with and met from here. It's gonna be fisha/doggapalooza with the huge Kessler and my kids new dog I'm bringing. I'm sure SFB will bring back pics. (Birds will be flown)

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

Holy fuck, it's been a wild ride since then.
    Glad you came up here this winter! I needed to be better about meeting people when I lived in Utah. I met a bunch, but mostly people at the bird or mags who were friends of friends.

^^^Bob was one of the first people on here, I stayed at his house in like '99 or '00, not long after Jamesdeluxe had stayed there. I think we're the only two that actually escaped, the rest of the bodies are probably still down there in that basement.

In like '01 there was an alternate mini summit in Nelson and a group of us went up there. I met Armchair Extreme at the Spokane airport and we took off down the highway. When we saw Schweitzer we realized we had missed a turn. Finally we got to the Canadian border. They tore the car apart. Dude even took our licenses inside to "test them for drug residue" and came back and said they tested positive but still they eventually had to let us go because we had nothing illegal with us. We were at the border for 2 hours. They took everything apart, everything out of our bags, dude was crawling under the car with a flashlight, etc. etc.

We leave, go about a mile up the road and come to a "T". We don't have a map. There's signs saying a bunch of towns to the left, another bunch to the right. None of them are Nelson. We have no clue which way to go. So we turn around and go back to the border. The same guy that searched us comes out of his little shack and I get out of the car and say, "We had guilty consciences, so we came back to turn ourselves in." You have never seen a more confused-looking petty government official in your life. I let it hang out there a few seconds and said, "Nah, I'm kidding. Is Nelson left or right at the fork up there?" He stared at me for like 10 seconds and finally said, "Right".

And away we went, laughing our asses off. Armchair was a good dude. RIP ACE.

Another classic from that trip was dinner in Nelson, like 14 ski freaks at a big table. Perky little waitress bounces up, chirps, "So where are you guys from?" Our own Dexter Rutecki looks up and sys flatly, "We're from the internet." I've heard that one a few times since then but that's where it started.

The night at the little condo at Snowbird I rented back about then, maybe '01 or so, with Frozen, Meatdrink and about half an ounce of shrooms still stands out as one of the weirdest and best ever. Meatdrink was probably about 20 but killing it even then. Frozen was way too married, which didn't mix well with the shrooms but hey. We told him not to answer his phone, why he did I'll never know.
    Last edited by iceman; 06-29-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Damn, where to begin. I met a whole lot of old school mags, SkiingSamurai, MCRoon, SoulSkier, BlueBird and the OG VT Nils Crew at UllrFest in 2007 where I got too drunk and fell into the creek at Terri's and proceeded to climb up and out of the frigid waters and get changed by a few mags and put to bed. I met JTran at a ski flick meetup at UVM and he and I proceeded to move to Alta together and remain tight. Salida and I are incredibly tight after meeting up at Stowe in 07/08. Too man mags at the First and Second UllrFest at BigDaddys, tons of mags since I moved to UT and started hanging with Jtrue/Beaterdit crew. This place has spawned some of the best friendships of my adult life.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ^^^Bob was one of the first people on here, I stayed at his house in like '99 or '00, not long after Jamesdeluxe had stayed there. I think we're the only two that actually escaped, the rest of the bodies are probably still down there in that basement.

In like '01 there was an alternate mini summit in Nelson and a group of us went up there. I met Armchair Extreme at the Spokane airport and we took off down the highway. When we saw Schweitzer we realized we had missed a turn. Finally we got to the Canadian border. They tore the car apart. Dude even took our licenses inside to "test them for drug residue" and came back and said they tested positive but still they eventually had to let us go because we had nothing illegal with us. We were at the border for 2 hours. They took everything apart, everything out of our bags, dude was crawling under the car with a flashlight, etc. etc.

We leave, go about a mile up the road and come to a "T". We don't have a map. There's signs saying a bunch of towns to the left, another bunch to the right. None of them are Nelson. We have no clue which way to go. So we turn around and go back to the border. The same guy that searched us comes out of his little shack and I get out of the car and say, "We had guilty consciences, so we came back to turn ourselves in." You have never seen a more confused-looking petty government official in your life. I let it hang out there a few seconds and said, "Nah, I'm kidding. Is Nelson left or right at the fork up there?" He stared at me for like 10 seconds and finally said, "Right".

Another classic from that trip was dinner in Nelson, like 14 ski freaks at a big table. Perky little waitress bounces up, chirps, "So where are you guys from?" Our own Dexter Rutecki looks up and sys flatly, "We're from the internet." I've heard that one a few times since then but that's where it started.

The night at the little condo at Snowbird I rented back about then, maybe '01 or so, with Frozen, Meatdrink and about half an ounce of shrooms still stands out as one of the weirdest and best ever. Meatdrink was probably about 20 but killing it even then. Frozen was way too married, which didn't mix well with the shrooms but hey. We told him not to answer his phone, why he did I'll never know.
    FTW.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Ak has a fairly low maggot density unless your a regular at the Pioneer Bar in Haines, in April. I've had the pleasure of meeting Odin, Kellie, Owens, and mikey B back when he was an Alaskan. I see AKPM on occasion, he's always good for a laugh! IYKWIM! Im sure l've met others here and down south, but I tend towards reclusivity!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

The 'stealth summit,' I think BH was the driving force. And that was, what, 6 months after the board launched? Kind of uncomfortable (especially back then when the internet seemed to be mainly used by sex crimes perps) explaining to people what kind of ski trip I was taking with a dozen dudes I only knew online. I just told someone your border crossing story a few days ago. And maybe this shows how out of things I am, but seeing RIP ACE still seems slightly shocking to me. Him, Nils...just not right.

Yes, I remember her asking the question as all of us were sitting there, having just met, and there was an uncomfortable silence as no one seemed to want to answer (I mean, what would you say? 'Well, you know the internet? There's this thing called a message board, and none of us have ever met before, and...'). So I just thought that the only place we could all say we were from was...the internet.

Funny thing for me that first night was I arrived on my own and stayed in this hostel (with some militant telemarkers who clearly disapproved of my gear) up a hill from where you and ACE were staying, and I went down about three times to see if you guys had arrived yet, telling the woman at the desk that I was waiting for my 'friends' (didn't tell her we had never actually met). The last time I checked you guys had just pulled up, and after the woman told me again you guys still hadn't arrived we walked past each other without acknowledging one another. That woman must have thought there was something really wrong with me--checking three times to meet my friends, and then just ignoring them when they arrived.

Some good skiing that time in Nelson with some of the OG's...Cleetus, Buster, Natty, Powpig/K2Stu, you and ACE. Think my next one may have been in the summer at Hood with Bakerboy, Phunk (Chicago has become his life), MD9...Natty, sort of.

These days all I get is the Magic crowd, which isn't half bad (as long as you don't mind MMP trying to stab you with his poles while he flails by).
    [quote][//quote]

One of the more amusing things from that trip (to me, at least) was board member Grizz (at the time the N. America Stockli rep I believe), and his childhood buddy...Grizz. Two guys who grew up together and they both had the same nickname. "Hey, Grizz?" "Yeah, Grizz, what's up?" "Well, Grizz, I was thinking about our nicknames." "What about 'em, Grizz?" "Fookin' cool, eh, Grizz? "Fookin' right, Grizz!"... and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

These days all I get is the Magic crowd, which isn't half bad)
    Expect someone to reach out to you for future use of this testimony.

Steeped in not half bad?
    [quote][//quote]

h-man and trainnvain, first mags I met. great peeps

In for the Bud Deck. Yeahhhh Jeets
    Decisions Decisions

Add me to the huge list of mags that SFB hooked up at Solitude a few years back. I think I got drunk with BobMc at Solisunday one year, and I may I have a picture of him wearing only his ski pants and a light coat of oil. I should see if I can find that. Shinderlspiste sold me some poles at SFB's house. I got to meet Kessler and saw SFB's impressive collection of Splatulas. I met Beaterdit and Jstroup at Snowbird a few years back and have made some turns with them. Those boys are very fast and strong, it was all I could do to keep them in sight, and not for very long. Endlesswinter brings his radar gun to the Bird every spring. That was my scariest time on skis ever.

God I miss maggot meet ups. So many good times. It all started in 2003 for me. So glad I was introduced to this place.

Maggot meet ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    h-man and trainnvain, first mags I met. great peeps

In for the Bud Deck. Yeahhhh Jeets
    Will keep you posted...

Yes, good dude Trainvain (now known as Earlywood) one of the early Ullrfest co-conspiritors, along with Snowsprite and VT-F.

Last heard, he was back in the hills of VT refurbishing an old house with SS.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Aand Jstroup a very fast and strong, .
    I did ski a 1/2 day with Jstroup once at Bton. or just saw hiim off in the distance and at the lift. Jehus h. christ. Freakin sasquach. Just massive dude, big ass motocross helmet to memory.
    "Can't you see..."

Trainnvain= earlywood ? Mind blown

First big daddy memory was a rendezvous just outside the chandler inn in Boston's south end....

...to hand off some striper
    Decisions Decisions

Maggot meet ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Trainnvain= earlywood ? Mind blown

First big daddy memory was a rendezvous just outside the chandler inn in Boston's south end....

...to hand off some striper
    Yes, Fran switched as a tribute to his father's passing.

And that's right... Almost forgot about the fish. The only time I actually brought some home where maggots and fishing were associated. (But it's always a good time.)
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 07-01-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Ak has a fairly low maggot density unless your a regular at the Pioneer Bar in Haines, in April. I've had the pleasure of meeting Odin, Kellie, Owens, and mikey B back when he was an Alaskan. I see AKPM on occasion, he's always good for a laugh! IYKWIM! Im sure l've met others here and down south, but I tend towards reclusivity!
    I was a regular at the Pioneer Bar last two winters no one asked for change for a nickel. I do not think I have met any AK posters. Had a chance to ski with Scotsman and CTR when they came to Cordova. CTR hooked me up in Vail area looking forward to skiing with either of these guys again. Met Cat in January in Rogers Pass skied one run together looking forward to more. Was in a ryokan on Honshu. Saw a western guy with a big neck beard. Asked him for change for a nickel. Got the WTF look.
    off your knees Louie