Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Maggot meet ups?

Was just wondering what some of your stories are? First maggot I ever met was Buckethead. Was at MRG and I was amazed at how kind of normal and what a great guy he was. We've since shared many awesome days there and I've met at least 200 others over the years.

They say it's especially hard for men to make new friends, but this place has proven that wrong. I consider many from here to be good friends and am glad to have slogged thru all the bs.

Iceman is as interesting IRL as he is online and Earlywood is as dry/funny. It's a little weird explaining it to your old friends, but I think this is the way of the future.

Funniest for me was mistaking another dude for Tippster at Alta this winter. Was German, a cameraman, and seemed about like I expected. After sitting down near him, though, it became awkwardly clear he was not our resident beauty judge...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

And he was right where we were supposed to meet, so I was positively damn sure it was him. His contorted face told me otherwise tho, when I confidently strode over and said "How you doing Tipp?, I'm Big Daddy!"

I think the guy thought I was either Larry Craig or drunk, but I got a solid brush off and was left standing dumbfounded and all wtf?! Good times

My wife's been after me to write a story or a book or something about this place. I told her I'm not Rob fucking Story. She just looked confused and walked away.

Maggot meet ups?

Write the movie script instead... "Eels On A Boat"

"How you doing Tipp?, I'm Big Daddy!"
    whats wrong with "Change for a Nickel" ?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Bunion and I have a non-mag friend in common, so that was easy.

AxeBiker comes to Big Sky every year, have skied with him several years in a row. Really good guy.

Same with uglymoney.

Gear swap transaction face-to-face at a Bozeman gas station with igband.

Rode a chairlift at Snowbowl with Rasputin, who is a very interesting guy. IQ is probably over 150.

Also rode a lift with stuckathuntermountain, but did not know it was him till I got home that evening and read TGR ("look for guy on Moment Ruby's and wearing red pants !"). Very quiet, shy guy in person. Had a good conversation with him about his days at Moonlight Basin.

Was talking to a friend in the day lodge who works with Creaky Fossil, and he was standing right there. I knew who he was, and ignored him. Dude is fucking creepy IRL.

Safety Meeting with My Pet Powder Goat. Most awesome beard in the universe.

Met AustinFromSA here on TGR and he and I have become good personal friends offline. Was just drinking with him 2 nights ago.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Stuck worked at MLB?

Had no idea, we must have crossed paths at some point or another, the 1st few years were pretty tight.

Met Spats when I was in Tahoe (Die Biting the Throat) stickers were exchanged and then applied in Montana.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Maggot meet ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    whats wrong with "Change for a Nickel" ?
    I save that for the men's room... Or whatever I identify with that day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Write the movie script instead... "Eels On A Boat"
    Brilliance. I'm thinking Bradley Cooper plays me ......Ice, Connery. Definitely.

First one I met was either hop or hugh, not sure. both are cool. Kellie was on the same trip where I met hop. She's way cool. Skied a bit with several canadians in sa at various points in time, xyz I think still posts - not sure? can't remember the handles of the other people. I think Arpa Anton and Claire S. of Shejumps have both posted here occasionally but I met them randomly, not through a tgr connection. All are cool. Kyle Miller hung out at our place a couple of times and we did a little traveling with him and Unemployed. Both great people. Entertaining habit of winding each other up. Briefly met Enlosandes (only one I didn't ski with), seemed alright, maybe a bit odd. Have met most of the europeans that overlap with the german forum, plus geo. Also a finnish guy whose name and handle I don't remember and an Australian girl who I think posted as taz for a while. All good experiences, with some it was a one off, others turned into friends.

edit: oh and tri-ungulate! he's cool too! actually telemarks, unlike hop
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

hearing "Big Daddy" in the men's room might cause some concern?
    but then there's always "Shinjuku Mother Fucker"!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

So far it always seems to involve skiing beer & dope

Edit : no names mentioned
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-25-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    So far it always seems to involve skiing beer & dope
    The high school holy trinity. Sop for maggot outings.

Which doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Just the way it is. Lots of fun has been had and will no doubt continue.

The rest of the forum is prolly tired of hearing it, but BBI16 was a great gathering. Mags are pretty cool people. Spring at Mt Bachelor has been productive at meeting new friends too.

Maggot meet ups?

Maybe you guys should start a thread about it?

Totally agree... looked like fun. Ullrfest is always a great time, too. And both look like great ways to meet the maggots.

Maggot meet ups?

Yeah, seeing photos from Ullrfest are always a good thing in the fall...gets me stoked for winter even though I can't make it

Maggot meet ups?

Considering it's been 15 years on TGR not to mention powmag I haven't met to many people. Schralper was the first mag I met. Hung with him more than a handful of times but recently haven't heard from him in years. Met Tap and non grata at a Pixies show. Jarlybart is a long time acquaintance from school growing up and going to his family's ski shop.

I've meet this dude. Hopefully that guitar can make it to BB17 for a proper inking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Funniest for me was mistaking another dude for Tippster at Alta this winter. Was German, a cameraman, and seemed about like I expected. After sitting down near him, though, it became awkwardly clear he was not our resident beauty judge...
    Good thing we actually DID meet in Solitude a couple days later, so now you know that impostor was a pale shadow of the glory that is the Tippster.

"Resident beauty judge" - I like that.

Met way too many maggots over the years to list. Some are as close to me as brothers or sisters (well, cousins at least.) Others were just fun to meet and chill with. None were dicks. Almost hooked up with an old-timer today to watch the Poland/Switzerland game. For some reason BigKuba is in DC this weekend. Couldn't make it happen because I had to taxi my daughter around town.

My first maggot meet up was with Bandit Man who said something along the lines of "Pardon me sir, but would you happen to post on the Teton Gravity Research Message boards?" ......."But of course"

My second maggot meet up was less than a month later with Dug, who while I was skiing the Tye Mill lift line, yelled to me from the chair "CHANGE FOR A NICKLE!"

My third maggot encounter happened in the same circumstance, again less than a month after the previous, me skiing the same line, Z-bo and soon to be Peaches n Cream on the chair, with el dashbo yelling "Hey Phil, we're your internet friends!".

Since then I've met a lot of great people many of whom became good friends and had lots of great experiences. I even had the honor of splat threatening kill me and toss my body in the stream next to the PMGear factory .

All this despite having joined in 2006 when the old timers like Tipp were already saying the place had gone to shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I did? Huh. Seems like there are still a shitload of old(er) posters around. The weird influx of Bankers post-Rob Story article did chase away a bunch of the fun folks, tho. Hell, one even made a "competing" web forum. It's still around, but doesn't get much traffic.

Ah well - I was never one of the "get off my lawn" types.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I did? Huh. Seems like there are still a shitload of old(er) posters around. The weird influx of Bankers post-Rob Story article did chase away a bunch of the fun folks, tho. Hell, one even made a "competing" web forum. It's still around, but doesn't get much traffic.

Ah well - I was never one of the "get off my lawn" types.
    Didn't mean to pick on you specifically; I don't remember who exactly was saying it, just that it was being said.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

It was once pretty much entirely a ski forum to my recollection. Now I am stoked when I see a TR.
    Don't have a large meet up resume but haven't met a freak yet.
    Met Peruvian at Jay this spring, did a few laps followed by lot beers and seemed like a good dude.
    Seems like the trolls are just that. Still a lot of good folks and knowledge that rise above the bull
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    It was once pretty much entirely a ski forum to my recollection. Now I am stoked when I see a TR.
    Don't have a large meet up resume but haven't met a freak yet.
    Met Peruvian at Jay this spring, did a few laps followed by lot beers and seemed like a good dude.
    Seems like the trolls are just that. Still a lot of good folks and knowledge that rise above the bull
    GoPro killed the TR.

I skied with one today, it was pretty fun Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1466902337733.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	184321

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    My first maggot meet up was with Bandit Man who said something along the lines of "Pardon me sir, but would you happen to post on the Teton Gravity Research Message boards?" ......."But of course"

My second maggot meet up was less than a month later with Dug, who while I was skiing the Tye Mill lift line, yelled to me from the chair "CHANGE FOR A NICKLE!"

My third maggot encounter happened in the same circumstance, again less than a month after the previous, me skiing the same line, Z-bo and soon to be Peaches n Cream on the chair, with el dashbo yelling "Hey Phil, we're your internet friends!".

Since then I've met a lot of great people many of whom became good friends and had lots of great experiences. I even had the honor of splat threatening kill me and toss my body in the stream next to the PMGear factory .

All this despite having joined in 2006 when the old timers like Tipp were already saying the place had gone to shit.
    I met bandit man once and never again for no good reason at all except I barely thought to try to meet up with people for a while. I have no idea how we never met or skied, joined around the same time, similar ages I think, and both skied Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Hell, one even made a "competing" web forum. It's still around, but doesn't get much traffic.
    Are you talking about the one with an absurdly high rad TR+pics to posts ratio? I like looking but I never tried to register.