Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thanks guys. Dog barks, but the house is remote. I get a gun in the home if someone comes in. Big thing is I don't want wife to come home to someone already in the home.

Maybe she can just carry a 870 around with her? Assuming she is comfortable blasting someone with a 12ga. lol.

The friendly dog needs back up. I can also see me house on my phone, so something like that would be a good idea for both.

I would contact this guy.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Home Security Suggestions

Thanks guys. Dog barks, but the house is remote. I get a gun in the home if someone comes in. Big thing is I don't want wife to come home to someone already in the home.
    Look at Ring (decoderless version). You'll get a 30-45 second real time video (adjustable) of whoever approaches your door, so this would provide you the security you want.

I also have ADT, but that's mainly for temperature, water and fire.

PM if you want more info, or just go to Best Buy. Look at the new model with HD and an 80 degree field of view. I just got that for our barn, but haven't installed it yet.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That guy had a security camera, a well lit house, and a terminator dog. All went to shit over with a robber who brought some bananas.

You need a gun.
    Anybody who watches Monty Python already knows how to defend themselves from various fruit.

Self contained no fee wifi CCTV has become very affordable. Low end systems like Funlux are quick and easy to setup. A step up in picture quality; take a look at Trendnet.

Decoder Ring not included

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Just having a barking dog is going to deter nearly any intruder, it just isn't worth it when they can jack the house down the street without a dog. If they are still going to enter the house, they aren't going to care about security systems, lights coming on or what wifi you use. If there is a real problem of home invasions in homes with dogs, then the only real alternative is a gun, and the only practical gun for home defense is a shot gun. Fuck accuracy, what you want is a good wide shot spread.
    If someone is scared about entering their own home, that is the last person who should be carrying a firearm. At the distances that you would be firing a shotgun in a house there is basically no shot spread, the pattern would spread only 1-3". Accuracy is still essential with a shotgun. A shotgun is still a good option for home defense, but I don't think most people are prepared to shoot someone and deal with the legal and emotional problems of the aftermath.

The barking dog will do the most good in the OPs case I would imagine.

I have a Nest camera that's good, the app is easy to use and I can look at it on my phone or computer in real time from anywhere, there's a motion detecter function that you can enable which notifies you of movement in any area within the camera's field of view (you desiginate the area, for example it could view the whole room its in but you could designate the top half of the door for motion alerts so the dog can walk around and not set it off but it will ping you if the door opens), it's a pretty slick package for a couple hundred bucks and no ongoing fees. I used it to monitor a construction site for over a year and it worked like a champ as long as the interenet is on and it notifies you right away if the internet connection goes down too.

I was wondering what happens if you lost the wifi.

It goes dark but it lets you know in seconds. Reboots itself when the internet comes back up. It doesn't notify you when it comes back online which it seems like it should but it only takes like 5 seconds to check if it's working so no big deal.

edit:It also has some cool video functions, it stores the video for a while so you can go back in time and then play it back, you can fast forward it to get back to the present or manually click through to see what was happening at certain times. You can makes time lapse clips or slideshows from the video if you want. Extra video storage costs money but I've never needed it.
    Last edited by iceman; 06-25-2016 at 11:08 AM.

But then ya gotta wonder if the boogie man got in

Yeah but at least you're gonna be awake and alert when you go in and you can get somebody to go in with you or whatever. Local cops would do that I'm sure if you're not in a big city.

One factor none of us geniuses have considered, is which camera makes his wife look thinnest? The wider the field of view, the wider she looks. I would go with the 80° field of view if you want your wife to be happy and marriage to last.

95% of the videos will be of her. The other 5% will be of her boyfriends.

Sounds like a problem best solved by better doors/locks/shutters etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Hire an urban gang member to protect your shit
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

^^^ That's like planting kudzu to curb erosion around highway overpasses.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Look at Ring (decoderless version). You'll get a 30-45 second real time video (adjustable) of whoever approaches your door, so this would provide you the security you want.

I also have ADT, but that's mainly for temperature, water and fire.

PM if you want more info, or just go to Best Buy. Look at the new model with HD and an 80 degree field of view. I just got that for our barn, but haven't installed it yet.
    I would consult a professional. Did you stay in a holiday inn express at least. Jesus.

Sorry man... Ring is the future