Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Brexit

Wow. Looks like it really might happen. Markets are going bonkers right now.

what a sh!tshow this is going to be.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

GBP down to 1986 lows.

It seems mass immigration is not popular.
    Life is not lift served.

Calling for a 15% devaluation of the GBP. Could be more....

Time to gray market a DB9
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    This is just the kind of diversion 'merica needed for a few days.
    if that takes hold here the diversion might last 4 years.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    This is just the kind of diversion 'merica needed for a few days.
    No gorillas have been shot yet.
    I still call it The Jake.

There's a reason that on the continent they're called "Island Monkeys"
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Also a huge JPY move, esp v.s AUD and NZD
    Life is not lift served.

BBC calling it for brexit.

I just read that we can expect the DOW to open down 650 pts.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

How soon will Scotland again seek independance?
    "Brexit Broke it!" Well maybe Trump will bring back the British Empire!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

I've been meaning to see London. Looks like it just got a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    There's a reason that on the continent they're called "Island Monkeys"
    Check the correlation between Leave and Education.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...s-and-analysis
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I've been meaning to see London. Looks like it just got a lot cheaper.
    Yeah. My first reaction was boycott the idiots. My selfish side is thinking "discounted theater and museum week".

In all seriousness - truly sad and destructive.

How soon will Scotland again seek independance?
    "Brexit Broke it!" Well maybe Trump will bring back the British Empire!
    Apparently starting about now given the interviews I am seeing.

Great Britain shall henceforth be known as "Lesser England"!

This will stir Northern Ireland into political action as well.
    Life is not lift served.

I find it interesting and sad that everyone is so down on the notion that people want to live in a free and independent nation. Apparently, some majority of Brits still cherish the idea of their national sovereignty, and the ability to chart their own course, as opposed to having those decisions made for them by a bunch of bloodless bureaucrats in Belgium, who exist above the gray flat line that is the EU economy and who haven't seen the inside of a commercial airliner or a public school in years, Also interesting and amusing is that everyone here seems to know what's going to happen (the markets will collapse, etc). There are immense entrenched interests within (and without) the EU that are in absolute terror of losing their power, and this is a real threat to that power. I'm thrilled their fucking oxen are (potentially) about to be gored, and win, lose, or draw, I'm happy for the English. I'm proud of them.
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

Quote Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
    I'm happy for the English.
    You are happy for 52% of them.
    Life is not lift served.

I find it interesting and sad that everyone is so down on the notion that people want to live in a free and independent nation. Apparently, some majority of Brits still cherish the idea of their national sovereignty, and the ability to chart their own course, as opposed to having those decisions made for them by a bunch of bloodless bureaucrats in Belgium, who exist above the gray flat line that is the EU economy and who haven't seen the inside of a commercial airliner or a public school in years, Also interesting and amusing is that everyone here seems to know what's going to happen (the markets will collapse, etc). There are immense entrenched interests within (and without) the EU that are in absolute terror of losing their power, and this is a real threat to that power. I'm thrilled their fucking oxen are (potentially) about to be gored, and win, lose, or draw, I'm happy for the English. I'm proud of them.
    ^^^^this.

Bloody good show.

Wow.

Care to place a bet on how happy they are with their state of affairs in 3 years? How thrilled they will be with the state of their pension funds (hell, those will be in the toilet tomorrow)? Their healthcare system? Unemployment? With their ability to travel and work and live elsewhere? With substantially less friendly trade terms with the rest of Europe? With their country fractured when Scotland and perhaps Northern Ireland walk (and they need to show passports to cross that border(s)?

This is a victory for the forces of ignorance and darkness. That is no exaggeration.

It is scary that this could happen. For my .02, I'm guessing the EU needs to show that departure is painful. I'm betting it is way less than two years - maybe mere months - before the chunnel gets a whole lot less convenient...

Speaking of protracted soveriegnty disputes, Argentina still wants the Falklands back!

Speaking of protracted soveriegnty disputes, Argentina still wants the Falklands back!
    Now could be their moment to retake Puerto Argentino while no one is looking....

free and independent nation.... bunch of bloodless bureaucrats in Belgium.....this is a real threat to that power.
    Well, this is a fairly emotional take and while it's a legitimate one, I'd like to offer mine.

I agree that the EU is not a perfect institution and could and should be improved. I hope this is a wake up call that will be followed by such improvements. I've said this before I think but having grown up in the EU and lived there all my life, I identify as being from the small town where I'm from, then as a European, and then (maybe!) in third place as my nationality.

The EU has been facing serious challenges for a while now and this is another blow. In a general sense, I find this worrying because I believe the European idea is a good one and to me it stands for things like peace on a continent that saw two world wars.

On a personal, emotional level (there you go) I worry because the idea of a disintegrating EU and the rise of ultra-nationalist political parties in many countries seems much, much more threatening to my comfortable way of life and value system than the refugee crisis or bureaucrats in Belgium.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Well, this is a fairly emotional take and while it's a legitimate one, I'd like to offer mine.

I agree that the EU is not a perfect institution and could and should be improved. I hope this is a wake up call that will be followed by such improvements. I've said this before I think but having grown up in the EU and lived there all my life, I identify as being from the small town where I'm from, then as a European, and then (maybe!) in third place as my nationality.

The EU has been facing serious challenges for a while now and this is another blow. In a general sense, I find this worrying because I believe the European idea is a good one and to me it stands for things like peace on a continent that saw two world wars.

On a personal, emotional level (there you go) I worry because the idea of a disintegrating EU and the rise of ultra-nationalist political parties in many countries seems much, much more threatening to my comfortable way of life and value system than the refugee crisis or bureaucrats in Belgium.
    Well said Klar. I've talked to a few of my German and Austrian relatives who feel the same way. They are worried that this exit by the British which they view as based on deep seeded fears of immigration and integration will lead to the rise of some truly nasty people in their home countries.

National sovereignty is all well and good when it isn't a code word for "we don't want immigrants."

From an American perceptive, I look forward to some cheaper European vacations. No doubt that the pound is going down and taking the Euro with it. Right now the Euro is trading 1.12 to 1. Want to bet that falls below 1/1 in the next few months?