Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Also, as much as many of us Americans get frustrated sometimes that it's so hard to amend the Constitution because of the supermajority requirements, today is a testament to the brilliance of the Founders on that point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Farage should be tarred and feathered, by the way...
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...im-was-mistake
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Yeah. Um. Won't the UK still have to act like a de facto EU member? Switzerland and Norway do, to an extent. UK products will still have to meet EU standards to be sold in the EU. Much of what the UK buys will have been made to an EU (or US) standard.
    Yep..

It sounds like a lot of this is down to fear of immigrants. The whole thing seems very, well, American.
    And Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

While I selfishly had reasons to want Britain to stay in the EU, I get where the Exit voters are coming from and thank them for having the balls to show the rest of us what happens once a country turns inwards and isolates itself from TPTB. I know initially it may hurt their economy, but like Iceland, with time they may end up in a much better place that gives the rest of the world an example to follow or not. Here is an interesting take: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/brita...000000393.html
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    And just because they leave the EU, does that automatically mean they leave the Shengen Agreement? (Passport free movement). Switzerland is part of it, but not in the EU.
    Both Norway and Switzerland are part of Shengen but not in the EU. Norway is part of the European Economic Area. This means they share the "4 freedoms" of the EU, i.e. free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital while not being member states. With very few exceptions, they do everything all the EU countries do, as in they stick to regulations and contribute financially. They do not get a say in what the EU does. It has been pointed out that if the UK wants a Norway like deal, they would have to do everything they did in the EU and potentially more without the right to vote on anything within the EU.

Switzerland has a special deal with the EU that gives it access to the market. The have adopted large parts of EU law and free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital so far has been happening with a few exceptions. They had a referendum in 2014 for introducing quotas on migration. They haven't done anything with that so far and it remains a heated discussion as many industries rely on foreign workers coming in and are not happy with potential implications.

In terms of actually crossing borders, in Switzerland the experience depends on where you cross, the colour of your skin, the license plate of your car and whether it's a shit one, whether you look like you might have drugs on you, and so on. I mostly get waved through but have had the car searched occasionally. As an EU citizen you need either a passport or a govt issued ID card from your country, though often they don't bother to check. The border is definitely "a thing" compared to border crossings within the EU.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Compared to ours with Canada ours usually a simple crossing. And Switzerland keeps threatening to do things that undermine the free persons movement, then the EU threatens to respond the same way and they back off.

And I liked this one:

^^^ HAHAHAHH. Nice.

I saw this one last night in the same vane...

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Also, this is funny:
    I was looking at that and wondering WTF? I just saw all the food on the right.

I then scrolled done and saw the rest of it...now I am cleaning diet coke off my screen. That shit burns when it goes through your nose.

Stumphwaffles for the win.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

So Ian Bremmer's one of the smartest geopolitics guys in the room. Here are his thoughts...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ian-b...-brexit-2016-6

Freedom fries:

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I just hope Wheeler Dealers doesn't go off air.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I just hope Wheeler Dealers doesn't go off air.
    Worry not...their doing the show from California now

riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

All I know is, now that Britain has told all the EU's bannermen to piss off, they are fucked when Dany shows up with her dragons and Dothraki.

Don't know much more than what I have heard on NPR on the ride home but couple things that have been stated already stand out.

1. This is about immigration. Period. Is this a legitimate concern for Europe? klar and other young Euros need to chime in about this. When I was over in Verona Italy for three weeks in March, the grandfatherly dude that ran the airBnB did for sure. And the latest mass rapes, terrorist shootings, etc definitely stir people up. If it was Eastern European immigration no big deal right? Muslims and terrorism is a big deal. Europe as a whole doesn't know what to do with it. neither does the US who stirred the shit up in the first place.

2. To Summit's point: How the hell is this decided on a simple majority? Don't know the rule of law in UK regarding trade agreements but if it was the US wouldn't this be legislative in nature?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Don't know much more than what I have heard on NPR on the ride home but couple things that have been stated already stand out.

1. This is about immigration. Period. Is this a legitimate concern for Europe? klar and other young Euros need to chime in about this. When I was over in Verona Italy for three weeks in March, the grandfatherly dude that ran the airBnB did for sure. And the latest mass rapes, terrorist shootings, etc definitely stir people up. If it was Eastern European immigration no big deal right? Muslims and terrorism is a big deal. Europe as a whole doesn't know what to do with it. neither does the US who stirred the shit up in the first place.

2. To Summit's point: How the hell is this decided on a simple majority? Don't know the rule of law in UK regarding trade agreements but if it was the US wouldn't this be legislative in nature?
    For 1. The UK was not in the Schengen zone. The people they allowed to immigrate are allowed in by the British government, not the EU or any other member states so they have nobody to blame but themselves. The specter of mass immigration from the EU zone certainly was scary enough to be used in the campaign but I don't believe there has been any push to force them into Schengen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Specific legislation was passed creating the referendum following Cameron's manifesto pledge made during the last general election to hold such a referendum.

The legislation does not make the referendum result binding. To not follow on with it would become a political/parliamentary issue.

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty provides exit mechanism (in very, very brief terms) "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention" then up to two years of negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep..

And Yep.
    How do you call a people who let in millions of immigrants the past several decades racists? British or American.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    a people
    As clearly displayed last night it's obviously two peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Just got off a conference call with a guy from the UK. Summary:

Ignorant people can vote, and they're scared of things they don't understand.
    Yup, and this is what happens when you only need a 50% +1 majority to win a vote with global impacts.

The google graphic in this link has already been posted, but the headline is pure gold:

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...id=mailsignout

A few interesting comments in all I have read on this today:

Below are the latest figures from pollsters YouGov,revealing that young people voted in their droves for the Remain campaign.
    18-24: 75% Remain
    25-49: 56% Remain
    50-64: 44% Remain
    65+: 39% Remain
    So the youngsters are going to be pissed at the olds and once they are the voting majority, pay back may be a bitch. In the nearer term:

"Brits need to be maximally punished by EU countries to ensure there isn't a path for further exits."
    Makes sense to me that the EU will punk the UK to set a strong example of what happens when you drop that mistress.

"Scotland's prime minister wants a new referendum in the next months to exit from U.K. and rejoin E.U. and N. Ireland wants a poll to unite with Ireland (E.U. member). Just the English will be actually OUT of E.U. They f... themselves".
    I kind of felt that was going to happen. It may be the end of the UK as it is today.

Earlier I saw a comment from a British citizen that he wanted to trade in his UK passport for a Scottish one. How the fuck does that work, as I am in the same boat???
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Earlier I saw a comment from a British citizen that he wanted to trade in his UK passport for a Scottish one. How the fuck does that work, as I am in the same boat???
    Not sure buy a friend posted something similar on facebook. With a sample size of two we can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Not sure buy a friend posted something similar on facebook. With a sample size of two we can't be wrong.
    Scotland wants to stay in the EU and will probably hold another referendum on leaving the UK