Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    Paging Bear experts... when camping, I usually put the food in the truck. Is that enough to keep the smell down? Seeing a bear smell garbage in a garage and rip through a panel makes me think that it's not adequate.

A couple other things, we have dogs with us camping and we usually cook over the fire on a grill, so that's going to give off a meaty smell no matter where I put the rest of the food... any ideas on how to best keep bears at bay?
    The answer to every critter question is - it depends! Griz vs blackbear, juvenile vs mature, momma with cubs vs a juvenile group vs a solitary bear. They will a behave differently, at different times.

In general, a bear proof container, elevated in a tree, 100+m from camp is best. A truck is not bear proof (experience here), but better than out in the open, and can be located away from you.

Cooking on a grill is alright as long as any residue is well burnt off before calling it a night. Usually.

Dogs are a major wildcard - more critters in the mix. But generally, a bear wants nothing to do with a pack. But how will the dogs behave? Big unknown on this one and I wouldn't rely on most dogs for bear protection.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 07-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    The answer to every critter question is - it depends! Griz vs blackberry, juvenile vs mature, momma with cubs vs a juvenile group vs a solitary bear. They will a behave differently, at different times.
    For sure that its a total crap-shoot! My dogs will be really noisy as soon as they catch wind of any animal. They've chased off deer and elk in the middle of the night. If they hear/smell a bear, they'll be barking. One is a lab, the other is a retrieve mix, I don't think they'll really engage unless the bear is posing an imminent threat. I assume a bear will wander off not wanting to mess w/ that...

I'm mostly wondering how much "aroma" will waft around w/ the food in the enclosed truck.

bears gonna bear
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    bears gonna bear
    For sure! I just want them to bear around and try to avoid a nasty confrontation, it's gonna end up bad for someone!

If there is a bear around, it will smell the food in your truck from a greater distance than most would give it credit for. They have an incredible sense of smell. But ya, with your large dogs being loud and staying close, and the food in the vehicle a safe distance from you but close enough for the dogs to be aware of anything checking it out, unless you have a starving habituated bear in the area, you should have no issues.

Bears breaking into cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    On bearly* related note, I bought some bear spray the other day so's to get my loving wife off my ass about my habit of fishing alone in bear country. I've had some sightings and a lady was mauled nearby the other day. The spray was cheaper than a .44, though not much. But the fun part was the look on the green-vested REI dork's face when I asked him how much I should put on. I leave it in the vehicle.

*see what I did there?
    You've never really had fun until a can of bear spray goes off in the floatplane. Good times...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    You've never really had fun until a can of bear spray goes off in the floatplane. Good times...
    Ouch-o-fuck

its ^^ sposed to go in one of the floats after which your holster and everything might come out smelling of fuel

I had a friend let off a bear banger in the cab of a suburban on the highway

their other friends riding in a vehical behind could hear it go off

Glacier NP last weekend
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

^^^^Fuck, that looks like a big guy. Hope you had a serious telephoto lens to take that picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

To repeat bears will break into cars, trucks, and houses. In campgrounds and the backcountry with a long history of bears getting into food hanging food from a branch doesn't work--the bear will cut the cord. Counterbalancing two bags so there is no cord within reach doesn't work--if the branch is large the bear will go out on the branch (the mamas will send the cubs) and cut the cord. If the branch is small they will dive bomb it and break it. The only thing that works is a bearproof container--locker in a campground or cannister in the BC. Lacking that your best bet is to leave the food out in the open with some pots that will rattle if the bear gets into it, or a dog--hopefully you will be able to chase off the bear before he gets all the food, and at least he won't damage your car or truck. Fortunately bears are usually pretty easy to scare off, just don't threaten a cub or get between it and the sow. My cockapoo and cocker spaniel chased a bear half way up the mountain behind our house. They are pretty chill animals--they're not afraid of you but they just don't like hassles. Think of them as fat, furry stoners.

This all applies to black bears of course. If we're talking about griz it doesn't matter what you do with your food because what they're interested in eating is you.

Among numerous sightings I've had three face-to-face encounters with grizzly bears. One was a momma and two-sub-adult cubs and our dog was involved and I still don't know how we didn't get killed; one was a lone male stand-off on the trail where he finally backed down after a mock charge, and one was us being stalked for an hour or so by a lone male that we finally shot and killed.

The one takeaway for me is that every situation is different, and bears ultimately don't want to fuck with you. Give them an out and they will usually take it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Govt office of 80+ in Vernon was evacuated and closed for a couple days last week from someone's bear spray accidentally falling off the shelf - missing its safety clip - and discharging.

Damn, I hate that stuff. If it's not being stored in a sealed PVC container, I want it nowhere near me.
    So, how much pressure if a canister accidentally discharges or explodes because of heat? I wouldn't want to add PVC shrapnel to the peppery mix. Obviously the canister is to prevent an accidental mechanical activation.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Bear water parks!
    I like bare water parks too.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Bears are so freaking cool

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So, how much pressure if a canister accidentally discharges or explodes because of heat? I wouldn't want to add PVC shrapnel to the peppery mix. Obviously the canister is to prevent an accidental mechanical activation.
    The canisters don't 'explode', they rupture. They aren't a pipe bomb. The PVC container can easily handle the extra pressure of the expanded gas (usually CO2, or some mix of alcohol propellant). Safety data sheet from one manuf. states a pressure of 110psi. 3" PVC is rated to a couple hundred for operating, and a burst around ~1400psi
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 07-03-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...bear-1.3663954

man gives bear a bloody nose in a into a fist fight

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...bear-1.3663954

man gives bear a bloody nose in a into a fist fight
    Fuck this is so Sudbury....
    "I knew it would swing first with its left but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed," Nelson said.

Bears are so freaking cool

We saw this mama grizzly and her two cubs on the way through Togwotee pass the other day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468380809.320116.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	184982

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1468380856.600086.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	184983

I have a video but can't figure out how to upload via the crappy iPhone app

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

The boys are back. And have been back for a while based on the stream start date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mphg2feuAPo

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The boys are back. And have been back for a while based on the stream start date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mphg2feuAPo
    I cannot turn this channel off
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

if you like wildlife cameras check out Robert Martinez on the book of faces
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.