Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    See, the problem with telling people not to use certain words is that it assumes you know how everyone feels about that word.
    This logic doesn’t work out the way you think it does I don’t think.

Just because certain words are not found offensive by some people doesn’t mean they should be tolerated in society. That bar would be so low.

Maybe I’m just reading that wrong 🤷🏻♂️

Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, honkey motherfucker

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah uh that's me, and to be honest, that language actually hurts. i'm not gonna lecture you about it or be a hardass but words have meaning, and just like we don't say the N word, that f word hurts too. it's been used by straight, cis, white men to marginalize the identities of a ton of smaller, minoritized groups for a long time.

thanks man, yep. i take solace in knowing that my girlfriend is hotter than anyone that core shot will ever be with, and guess what, i like sucking dick too. i'm not sure why that matters - i'm not coming on to anybody here, i'm a safe and chill skier, and yeah, if you want i can bring my banging hot girlfriend to the next euro bbi and me and coreshot can have a ski off (i'll lose but still have a hotter gf)

not only that, but i contribute to this community, bring lots of good stoke, and share things freely with good will for all (not to brad but at this point i've given away over 250lbs of coffee to maggots)

so uh yeah, if you want to live in a community where people like me feel comfortable and where people like me share a fuckton of coffee and whatever, please consider using words other than f*****t.
    are we talkin bout the chi town chick
    id ask for pics but ill wait and see if shes a keeper on the river
    were doing utah stream access straw river hats
    im gittin one to go with my Tilley

im down to my last long bill
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    oh and pro tip
    go fish the midwest with harry
    make him come west to ski
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yeah— here’s the thing with Woke-ism.

If you don’t know why it’s offensive, then it’s not.

You can’t just roll up- “Yo, we don’t say that anymore.”

No, YOU don’t say that anymore. That doesn’t mean we don’t.

Your definition is different. This is called semantics. And it’s not offensive simply because meaning A is different from meaning B.

Stop demanding that people understand your semantics.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I certainly do wish him the best, and I actually have done some very progressive divorces in plural country, but his wife be the hawt. NTTAWWT.

But also, I am considering a vasectomy for the betterment of society on this solstice, so my hormones might be a little off their normal cray.

All my girlfriends were always universally acknowledged as "very cute". They all fucked me over. I can't imagine a hot one. Nor do I wish that upon myself.

Vasectomy doesn't change any hormone balance. Doesn't even change the consistency.

I am the first hand knowledge.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    This logic doesn’t work out the way you think it does I don’t think.

Just because certain words are not found offensive by some people doesn’t mean they should be tolerated in society. That bar would be so low.

Maybe I’m just reading that wrong
    Ok... where does that end?

Most people think cunt is one of those words but many people who you would think would find that offensive, don't. They choose to not be offended by it.

I'm making the more general argument that you decide how you feel. You can choose to be offended by it or not. This applies to almost everything in life, not just pejoratives.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yeah— here’s the thing with Woke-ism.

If you don’t know why it’s offensive, then it’s not.

You can’t just roll up- “Yo, we don’t say that anymore.”

No, YOU don’t say that anymore. That doesn’t mean we don’t.

Your definition is different. This is called semantics. And it’s not offensive simply because meaning A is different from meaning B.

Stop demanding that people understand your semantics.

You wording is a bit harsh but yeah, that's kind of my point.

Sometimes a word is used without any intended harm and the receiver of that word chooses to assume intent.

stupid fucking flat brim ball caps

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Ok... where does that end?

Most people think cunt is one of those words but many people who you would think would find that offensive, don't. They choose to not be offended by it.

I'm making the more general argument that you decide how you feel. You can choose to be offended by it or not. This applies to almost everything in life, not just pejoratives.
    That’s not just all there is, though. The intent of language is a big part of how it’s perceived. So who is saying matters just as much, and there are certain words that are almost always pejorative. So yeah, in narrow circumstances can somebody be ok with certain words being used? Maybe. But when a stranger on the internet or a random on the street uses the same word you know the intent of it.

You can’t put the responsibility of your words on the person you’re talking to. That’s not how it works. So say whatever you want, but words have meanings and words have consequences so it’s better to know what the consequences are of what comes out of your mouth.

So if you want to use a word that’s ok in narrow contexts with specific people you should be damn sure that you are meeting those criteria before you speak.

People on this board can defend themselves, or not, but there is a reason why there is hesitancy for people to come out, or why most of the women get driven off from this place, or the total lack of diversity in this community. It’s not only because skiing is largely a white, male sport, it’s because of the way a lot of the loudest posters speak on here. IMO that makes this place a lot less interesting

Will you cunts just shut up.

We’re trying to talk about hats here.

whom would have thot a rant about a hat brim would spawn 6 pages
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    whom would have thot a rant about a hat brim would spawn 6 pages
    Love it.

Back to hats: Is there anything worse than someone over 30 wearing a sideways or backwards baseball hat?

well if its a flat brim it doesnt matter but i don' like wearing a brim anywhere but forward
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Back to hats: Is there anything worse than someone over 30 wearing a sideways or backwards baseball hat?
    Griffey Jr was the epitome of cool backwardhatness. Even the kid can't pull it off anymore.

Name:  ken-griffey-jr.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  110.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoJ2MxqXEAALv2y.0.0.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	419616

This guy sure can

Name:	IMG_3797.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	419618

That is fucking repulsive. How could they make a beer that small

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Will you cunts just shut up.

We’re trying to talk about hats here.

So

Pussy hats don’t have a brim. Wtf?

That’s not a hat. It’s a toque

Ok I’m confused. This dude has a scorebook, old school radio, and is wearing a flat brim? Doesn’t make sense.

Name:	IMG_8466.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	419636

stupid fucking flat brim ball caps

anachronism right there. a man who will not be put in a box. don’t forget to notice that he is wearing jorts although thankfully long ones
    skid luxury

An enigma wrapped in a riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That’s not just all there is, though. The intent of language is a big part of how it’s perceived. So who is saying matters just as much, and there are certain words that are almost always pejorative. So yeah, in narrow circumstances can somebody be ok with certain words being used? Maybe. But when a stranger on the internet or a random on the street uses the same word you know the intent of it.

You can’t put the responsibility of your words on the person you’re talking to. That’s not how it works. So say whatever you want, but words have meanings and words have consequences so it’s better to know what the consequences are of what comes out of your mouth.

So if you want to use a word that’s ok in narrow contexts with specific people you should be damn sure that you are meeting those criteria before you speak.

People on this board can defend themselves, or not, but there is a reason why there is hesitancy for people to come out, or why most of the women get driven off from this place, or the total lack of diversity in this community. It’s not only because skiing is largely a white, male sport, it’s because of the way a lot of the loudest posters speak on here. IMO that makes this place a lot less interesting
    Ok... I hear what your saying and I see your point.

Edit: I guess the thing I'd like to add and kind of the point Gaijin was making, is that some of this stuff isn't even obvious pejoratives like "f****t". I agree that one is somewhat obviously less ok.

But some of it is maybe insensitive at the very worst, but has become a woke grenade, and I think a lot of people are tired of being berated for using a word that is not pejorative and is all of the sudden off limits for reasons that sound pretty banal. I.e. I don't even know all the things I'm not allowed to say, but I'm busy raising a kid and don't have time to keep up on the lingo. And I'm tired of people inferring my intent based on language that was acceptable not to long ago.

For the record I am NOT saying "f*****t" is an example of that.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 06-22-2022 at 10:54 PM.

I’m going to stand by “retarded” as being okay. It’s a medical term, deal with it. Never go full retard.

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’m going to stand by “retarded” as being okay. It’s a medical term, deal with it. Never go full retard.

DSM5 has renamed it intellectual disability

now wut rubber band do i use on this to get it flat?

Name:  hot.png
Views: 287
Size:  605.4 KB
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    now wut rubber band do i use on this to get it flat?

Name:  hot.png
Views: 287
Size:  605.4 KB
    That shit stays AS IS