Thread: SUP Life Vest

Thumbs down SUP Life Vest

Does any maggot know of a website or forum similar to TGR, Blistergear, or Outdoo Geal Lab that covers SUP info? Specifically I am looking for info and reviews of SUP PFDs, especially inflatable ones.

Dude you will ruin your tan, I'm in northern BC so no problem cuz I am still wearing a full drysuit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Try a sailing forum. Does it need to be USCGA?

It was hot here Saturday, so I dropped my dog off after an hour of riding and took a spin down by the river.
    They were having a free Hobie demo, but they made you wear a type 111 USCGA vest.
    I tried most of the line and I got really hot fast, wearing the stinking vest.

Are you sure you will need one?
    Are you paddling in Wild Surf or summat?
    Whenever I ask TiniDakini about falling in the water, she reckons it never happens (Oakland Estuary).

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Are you sure you will need one?
    Are you paddling in Wild Surf or summat?
    Whenever I ask TiniDakini about falling in the water, she reckons it never happens (Oakland Estuary).
    I just got back from a SAR for a paddle boarder who drowned in high winds on Lake Tahoe a few days ago. Its got me nervous. I think I am OK with leash and stashed PFD, but, as I said, I am nervous. Tahoe can get cold and windy real quick, and we are starting to to take longer paddles.

You might fall and hit yer head on the board in whoch case a pfd would have been nice
    If it's moving water I use my flatwater kayaking pfd
    Most of my paddling is the perimeter of some local lakes where I can stand up and lately I'm using a drysuit no pfd

standupzone.com is kind of the equivalent of the TGR forum. Don't know if there are many PFD reviews but you can always start a thread.

I'll wear a PFD if I'm going to be farther from shore than I can swim (which is not very far because I suck at swimming). Especially if the water temp is low and I'm not wearing a wetsuit (e.g. Tahoe, Donner, Norcal coast).

I just use an old kayak PFD but I can see the appeal of the hip belt inflatables.

I just strap a class III pfd pn the front. Make sure you always wear a leash though. Heard a few stories of people falling off in a cold lake and having their board get blown away.

I will sometimes strap a pfd under the shock cords

Just ordered an Astral waist pfd for the touring board.