Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Denver City Council Bans Most Vacation Rentals

Any of the collective want to weigh in on this? VRBO et al have got to be pissed....

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/most-v...sses-new-rules
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Talk about restricting VRBO in Bozeman as well.

Something about its impacts on affordable long term rentals.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I still get to rent my vacation place in Commerce City, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post

From a the standpoint of a casual observer, it seems the price of a room in the long term rental market has gone up by at least 25% over the last two years. It doesn't help that so many students are willing to take out loans just to pay for rent, living in my truck this summer is the only way I'm going to be able to save enough in the next few months to pay for housing without doing something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post

Seattle and SF as well..... In Denver's case, the "primary residence" requirement is huge..... Wonder if the hoteliers are partying with hookers and blow right now......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

The "sharing economy". What a hoot.

"Here, stranger, let me "share" my property with you. I'll just charge you my cost." Right.

Good policy change. It doesn't ban AirBNB/VRBO -- it restricts them to ones primary residence and requires you to get a license number. That means Susie who has a spare bedroom and needs to fund a nasty ski gear habit can still rent it out as long as she lives there. She just can't go buy up random places and become a de-facto hotelier without following the same health/safety/tax regulations as regular hotels.

Perhaps if Denver had an adequate housing supply this wouldn't be necessary. But with a severely restricted supply and massively increasing rents this is a good middle ground policy.

(Disclosure: I'm a Denver renter, currently trying to buy a house. I didn't move here for weed.)

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    (Disclosure: I'm a Denver renter... I didn't move here for weed.)
    well then, wtf? That is definitely a city I don't see the attraction of. Not that it's terrible or there aren't cool neighborhoods. But I still don't get it.

As compared to where?

Ridgefield CT.

Now you're being silly.

Compared to the world, duh. Compared to other places you could pick out of a hat to live.

I get that if you have a reason to be there it doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Compared to the world, duh. Compared to other places you could pick out of a hat to live.

Honestly if you want to live in a major metropolitan area with decent culture and mountains close by Denver and Seattle are pretty much the best options. It's not for everyone but if you have to live in a mountain west city Denver is pretty damn nice.

Trying to decide if I am going to sell my rental house in Englewood, or keep renting it out.

well then, wtf? That is definitely a city I don't see the attraction of. Not that it's terrible or there aren't cool neighborhoods. But I still don't get it.
    Denver blows. Chock full of douche bags.

The mountains are nice, and when I move back to CO, it will be Carbondale.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Trying to decide if I am going to sell my rental house in Englewood, or keep renting it out.

Denver blows. Chock full of douche bags.
    Bro, they're not douchebags. They're all just 25-35 year old males, slightly overweight, underemployed, kind of schlubby, "totally into snowboarding, for sure", and they love weed and IPAs you've never heard of.

Oh - they also hate gluten because it killed their dog.

I came here for the weed. I am now leaving because of it. lol.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I've rented VRBOs in a few cities now. Pretty sweet to get a 2 bed, 2 bath with kitchen for less than the hotel down the street. The cities should just make sure taxes are getting paid if anything. There shouldn't be an all out ban on rentals. Let the HOA's and neighborhoods regulate if they don't like them.

After spending a couple weeks there, I disagree, it is a great town. Things have changed quickly there, and it's high enough that the summers are not blazing hot, small neighborhoods with restaurants/grocieries everywhere, and more shit coming soon. Look at the Rhino district, how many new businesses are in there in the last 12 months? There aren't many western cities as good as Denver. Makes me realize how far, far, far behind SLC is.

If you live in the suburban sprawl and have to deal with the traffic, well, that's a different story.

yeah, cause who cares when employed homeless people stack up in the streets because a studio apartment costs 2 grand a month..

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    yeah, cause who cares when employed homeless people stack up in the streets because a studio apartment costs 2 grand a month..
    Denver has plenty of suburbs and public transportation to accommodate these folks. It is not a basic human need to live in the center of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    OH THE HUMANITY

No, she's right. The sheltered upper middle class children of the upper ten percent have no clue how this affects the overall housing market, and could give a fuck, as long as they get theirs, either as a customer or as a owner (or should it be sharer?) of the property. Same with Uber, a service that only 5-10% of Americans use, and, trust me, it ain't poor people. The bearded hipsters think that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, not even considering how it destroys jobs, and is, in fact, illegal in many places. But, it's so cool!

I am not a hipster, but I love Uber and VRBO and spread the love about these two services to whoever I can... Got to love America and capitalism...

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Good policy change. It doesn't ban AirBNB/VRBO -- it restricts them to ones primary residence and requires you to get a license number. That means Susie who has a spare bedroom and needs to fund a nasty ski gear habit can still rent it out as long as she lives there. She just can't go buy up random places and become a de-facto hotelier without following the same health/safety/tax regulations as regular hotels.

Perhaps if Denver had an adequate housing supply this wouldn't be necessary. But with a severely restricted supply and massively increasing rents this is a good middle ground policy.

(Disclosure: I'm a Denver renter, currently trying to buy a house. I didn't move here for weed.)

this^^ is happening big time in Vancouver along with an absolutely insane RE market at the top of a bubble that just keeps growing, if a VRBO is sharing of a place where the LL also lives thats one thing but LL's are renting out multiple suites in buildings that would have been long term rental, not only does this affect the hotel industry, it takes that unit out of long term rental a big one is if you live in that building you as an owner in a totaly owned building will suddenly be dealing with transients which is not what you signed on for

I've stayed in VRBO's in other countries and it was always shared so the LL lived there also

You know that Uber drivers are getting fucked over right?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I am not a hipster, but I love Uber and VRBO and spread the love about these two services to whoever I can... Got to love America and capitalism...
    Right. Says an upper middle class white person on a skiers forum. Yea, capitalism. Fuck the rest of the world. I got mine.